Using a fan vs a lower AC degree setting?

I was thinking of getting one of those Vornado fans than can circulate the air of the entire room for this summer since it's likely going to be a very hot summer. Vornado claims using one can lower the temperature of a room by 5 degrees, so you can set the thermostat higher.

My question is, will the energy savings of a higher thermostat actually be offset by continuously running a fan 12-16 hours throughout the day (assuming, say, 60 watts on the fan)?

Air movement doesn't lower the temp but it does accelerate evaporation of water from your body which cools your body.

Think of the overused term "wind chill" and how the weather report will tell you a "feels like" temp along with the actual temp. A fan causes the same effect in your home.

The cost savings depends on lots of variables in your home but it's certainly possible to just use a fan on certain days instead of turning on the AC which will definitely save some electricity. Ceiling fans are awesome for this. Using both at the same time with the AC set up a couple degrees won't likely dent your electric bill at all.

Those fans aren't very quiet, but they are effective at keeping air flowing around the room

I'm still running my heater so no interest at the moment but in for a hot summer. 

CrAzYiBe -

I'm still running my heater so no interest at the moment but in for a hot summer. 

Yeah, same, but I'm switching credit cards and want to use my accrued reward points.

AC tech here. Heat rises, ceiling fans. And reinsulating your attic. Two most cost effective out side of the units modification you can make

Odinson - AC tech here. Heat rises, ceiling fans. And reinsulating your attic. Two most cost effective out side of the units modification you can make

This guy gets it.

Ceiling fan FTW

Proper ventilation and insulation should be your first priority. If both of those are lacking it doesn't matter what you do. Invest in ceiling fans and only run them in rooms that are occupied. It does no good if nobody is in there to feel the cool air. By a programmable thermostat.