Using extra externaldrive to watch Region II DVDs?

Need help from the computer gurus on the OG.

I'd like to be able to watch some Region II DVDs for movies and series that aren't available in the U.S. I have a MacBook Pro.

My understanding is that any laptop DVD drive will let you switch to watch DVDs from another region, but you can only do it 4 or 5 times before the drive is locked to that region and you can no longer watch Region I DVDs. 

My question is, if I buy an external DVD drive (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-External-Super-Drive-Apple--MacBook/dp/B007FUDKB4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1445035483&sr=8-7&keywords=external+DVD+drive+for+mac) and hook it up to my laptop, can I use that as my Region II DVD player? In other words, if it locks up and only allows me to play Region II DVDs on that drive after 4 or 5 tries, will that affect my laptop or will I still be able to watch Region I DVDs on my internal drive?

Help would be appreciated.

IIRC, you can set it to whatever region but can only switch it back and forth several times before it will lock on a region. I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and one is set for Japanese DVDs. Other one is for US. Phone Post 3.0

pfsjkd - IIRC, you can set it to whatever region but can only switch it back and forth several times before it will lock on a region. I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and one is set for Japanese DVDs. Other one is for US. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, VU. So setting the external HD for Region II won't reset the internal HD? 

The Stewed Owl - 
pfsjkd - IIRC, you can set it to whatever region but can only switch it back and forth several times before it will lock on a region. I have 2 DVD drives in my computer and one is set for Japanese DVDs. Other one is for US. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, VU. So setting the external HD for Region II won't reset the internal HD? 

I don't think so.

Just AnyDVD HD them shits to files bruthaman.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the Mac part. I'm not up to date on what the flavor of the day is for DVD ripping on Macs. But someone's gonna have a software solution for this.

I know you can use VLC to watch some region II dvds but have read other people have still had problems with it locking up.