Using Judo for BJJ tourney: help!

I have a big jiujitsu tournament in about 2 months - Any advice if I were to train with a judo friend for the next 2 months as to what moves a judo beginner should focus on? If there were 1 or 2 moves that I could really focus on that I would have a chance of using in 2 months time what would they be? I have about 5 years of brazilian jiu-jitsu and a year or so of wrestling (not very good). Thanks!

we cant give you the name of a dojo if we dunno where you are from.

good point josh.lol.

I don't believe he is asking where; he's asking for technical advice.

gonna train with a friend.. where? in a garage on the concrete floor?
if ya wanna learn judo, go to a dojo to learn it! its safer and youll have more than 1 person to work with!
1 on 1 learning is fine and dandy and what not. not saying it isnt a bonus. just saying that judo is generally a very affordable thing and if you are already paying or bjj then a couple extra bucks here n there shouldnt harm ya too much.

who knows, you might even realize that you love it.

osaekomi for stalling

Hard to say, everyone has their own preferences. Seoinage, Uchimata, Ouchigari, and Kouchigari are popular tournament throws, if that helps.

In my opinion, you're really not going to develop any useful Judo in only two months.

For a BJJ tournament, you'd be far better off building on your wrestling experience. Practice your sprawls and work attacks from the top after stuffing your opponents' doubles and singles. These are the only takedowns you're likely to face. Let the other guy shoot, then work from the top.

Actually, if you really want some Judo, sangaku (triangle) attacks vs. the turtle might be useful after you stuff a double. If you have BJJ experience, you could probably develop one of these into a tournament-ready attack in a couple of months.

You want to really try to attempt the throws that you know you have a good chance of pulling off,all while landing in a favorable position.

seionage type throws are great but remember a failed seionage probably means ending up in a defending the turtle position with no imediate standup in sight.

In judo you can sometimes sacrifice or makikomi into a throw and not worry so much as to the consequneces of what position you end up on the ground.

In BJJ whatever postion you land in,is the position you will probably have to fight out of for a very long time.

It really changes the whole strategy on throwing, similar to way that boxers have to change their strategy when they compete in MMA.Punching strategy as to when and when not to punch changes drastically under regular boxing versus MMA rules.

Same thing applies to throwing in bjj v.s throwing in judo.

There is a hell of a lot of Judo black belts that compete in BJJ tournaments in brazil and yes you will see spectacular throws from time to time but because of the rules those very same judo black belts that you would figure would have a field day with the non experience judo players are still very selective as to when to actualy make a commitment to throw knowing full well the consequences..

Ko-soto-gari and O-soto-gari are the only ones I would add in. Anything else you will forget in a tournament after 2 months of practice.

lol at "osaekomi for stalling"

Yes, I see your point, my only hesitancy to go to a dojo is that I'm recovering from a collarbone injury and I don't want to make excuses to the instructor every few minutes why I can't do something. I was thinking of asking my friend Willie Spears (in Atlanta) if he wanted to train a bit on the side.

I do OK in the college wrestling club that I'm at, but when the gi comes on I get "gun shy" since people grabbing my gi throws me off (this is probably hard for you guys to understand!) Nonetheless thanks guys and keep the advice coming!

I guess what I'm looking for is 1 offensive move that I can initiate. Come on guys! There must be 1 move that I can work on daily for 2 months that would be effective against guys who have never done judo before.

I wouldn't work on a single throw or two. Learn them in combo's concentrate on learning the off balance then the throw.

Thanks SuperMarioSak and Yuriki98!

Dude:

If you're recovering from a collarbone injury, you DO
NOT need to be starting judo now. Especially in an
unsupervised, casual way without a good coach to
guide you through proper throwing mechanics and
especially good breakfalling.

Do the tournament with what you already know,
and after you FULLY heal, start judo at Steve
Alphabet's dojo. Willie is teaching there.

Improper breakfalls can and do cause collarbone
injuries. I believe it is one of the more frequent
"serious" judo injuries. As other guys have said, 2
months is not really enough time to learn to throw,
and certainly not at less than 100% of functionality.

Stan

Do you have a good guard? If so, you might try Tomoe-nage, if you miss it, you can just end up in guard and work from there. In BJJ, you don't get penalized for missing this throw (opponent won't get points for your failed attempt if you fall to your back and make it look like an attempt to pull guard).

I also think scythrop's advice was very good. However, if you are competing at blue/purple level and you don't have a good takedown offense, you might just want to pull guard if they get a good grip on you. Good luck.

Thanks Stan, sound advice.

bsktrap - I consider my guard one of my strengths so thats definitely something I'll have to look into. This is likely my last tournament as a blue as I've been a blue for 3 years (but I had a slew of injuries last year and didn't train consistantly) (and if I win my instructor will give me my purple)

alright, before doing any training make sure that your collarbone can stand up to it...especially any type of pick-up throw (as you can screw up the landing pretty easily)! No rush, even if you really want your purple, there is always the summer!

here is what you could do if you are healthy though...;o)

alright, from what I have seen, the average bjjer, kinda bends forward a wee-bit too much when going for grips. You can use this to your advantage.

Let's say that you are right-handed. Have your left-foot forward and with your left-hand (your forward hand), reach and quickly grab your opponents gi as far down his back as possible (or just his collar if you want). Then take a step backwards. Now, the opponent is close to you and you have your right foot forward. Reach over his back and grab his belt with your right hand.

Now, in theory, there are a tonne of throws from there. You have the back of his belt in your right hand (and your left-hand can then transfer to where you need it to be for a given throw). You have no restrictions in terms of gripping times. However, your opponent will try his damdest to jump to guard. So you gotta be quick.

Take a step forward with your right leg.

You have big choices in terms of ouchi-gari (will probably end up in half-guard), uchimata (will take more than two months to get down though in all likelihood though), khabarelli (not really a beginner move I guess), and finally one in which you...go to your back and roll your opponent over your head with your right leg. Stay tight to your opponent and end up in mount (or side-mount). The last one is actually pretty easy to do.

The key is to get a good controlling grip before they can jump to guard.

not sure if that makes sense, and please don't practise throws if your collar bone is screwed up!