Using Judo for BJJ tourney: help!

Thanks Sothy! Where do you live so you can show me this stuff?! (SO many bjj guys bend way over like that)
I just have a question about the initial gripping. Could you explain more exactly where your left hand grips? And I'm assuming the right hand grabs over his left shoulder and then grabs the belt (or is it under their let arm)?
thanks!

"Dude:
If you're recovering from a collarbone injury, you DO NOT need to be starting judo now. Especially in an unsupervised, casual way without a good coach to guide you through proper throwing mechanics and especially good breakfalling."

Exactly. Recover from your collarbone injury, then train Judo in earnest. A couple of months of casual instruction won't do you a lot of good. Plus, it doesn't sound like you are training for the national championships of BJJ, so just do your BJJ.

Ben R.

Wow, trying to teach grip fighting and over the back gripping nd throwing to a guy who doesn't even know how to do a basic Judo throw over the Internet! You are an ambitious man, Sothy!

Ben R.

yeah, but Ben, he is fighting bjjers! =)

I agree with Ben, if your collar bone isn't good enough to do breakfalls yet, then you shouldn't be practising, if it is okay to though, and you can get the right kind of supervision, then you should start.

As for the left hand, it will probably end up somewhere around his sleeve. When you grab his collar/back of his neck with your left hand and take a step backward, your right hand will be able to reach over his back (not under his arm, that won't work for what I described, it leads to other things) and hopefully get the belt, but if not (ie. he is too long, you have short arms, etc.), get as deep as you can. Once your right arm has its grip, your left hand can 'naturally' move over to the sleeve that I mentioned (great for pulling if you do learn uchimata down the road).

Remember though, this is only one type of entry, there are lots and lots and lots of entries, and everybody has their own style.

Also bear in mind that I am an archair judoka who doesn't have his black belt =) So no coaching for me, just watching and practising every so often.

When it comes to consistantly using Judo throws in Bjj tournaments I think Mario Sperry has the best and most logical (as well as practical advice).

You have to be experience using the throws.

Mario Sperry made the point in his Master Series II that it isn't the fact that Judo throws won't work in bjj tournaments BUT rather alot of competitors who try to use just don't have much experience using them. And because they don't have that experience they don't know how to adjust the throw to the conditions of a Bjj tournament.

The key to using Judo throws successfully and consistantly in Bjj tournaments is having experience in them.

And like someone stated already you will not gain much, in terms of knowledge and experience, with only 2 months of Judo training.

Mario Sperry suggested a person needs about three years experience with a particular Judo throw before they will be able to use it successfully in Bjj tournaments.

Three years maybe too long of a period of time BUT I agree with his premise that in order to really really be successful consistantly using Judo throws in a Bjj tournament one needs a fair amount of experience with them.

walt: o soto gari is one of the toughest throws to master in judo. i don't think 2 months of training could make anybody good if they don't have the core competencies to throw the throw. if you want to use judo for a jiujitsu tournament. i would focus on footsweeps and only footsweeps for 2 months. it could only help your judo.

and judo throws do work in jiujitsu. trust me. u just have to have the right strategy. I won the arnolds last week using just judo... very little jiujitsu perse, but the judo helped put me in superior positions 95 percent of the time. At the budweiser, i lost b/c i tried to use judo. they took my back and the rest was history. too many points to overcome screwed me. @ the arnolds i played smart. i would throw gain a ground position and bait the guy to stand up again so i could throw. after a couple of throws, the guys would be winded and I could hold them with a side mount or move to full mount until the time limit was up.

I would say that I had an advantage b/c i knew judo and have practiced it for years. Let me give a piece of advice that my professors used to always say. don't start trying to put the pieces of a problems solution together at the last minute, which is precisely what is happening in this thread. try to train judo and bjj both. it will make u a much better player and i think it will aid u to progress quicker in the competitive arena

adam