USJF year end report is online

You can find it here.

ftp://ftp.usjf.com/YearEndReportsFiscal2004.pdf

This is the best annual report I've ever read out of any of the big 3 organizations. Its the only one, actually. It is 50 pages. Very easy to read and follow. If you want to know what the JF has been doing for the last year, read it.

Some highlights.

Net assets are over 1 million dollars. Endowments are over 500K of it.

The USJF was cash flow positive to the tune of about 35k.

Life memberships are up, though regular memberships are down for the last two years. Regular membership is at 10,235; down from a peak of 11,110 in 2002, but still up nearly 40% from 1997. Number of dojos increased by 10.

The organization is financially healthy, good programs are being put into effect. They are doing a great job in managing the affairs of the organization.

Now compare the JF to the JI.

JI does not publish a year end report that is online. I'm a member and I've never gotten a copy of it in the mail either.

You cannot find any details on the financials of the JI anwhere on the website. To get the best clue of what's happening at the JI, you have to read the minutes from the board meetings which are usually published several months after the meetings. There are no detailed financials in those board meetings.

You cannot read the bylaws online. Even though the USOC has mandated that they be available there.

The JF makes information more readily available to their members than the JI.

I dunno. If the JI is always screaming for more support, you would think they would make more information available about what they are doing.

I don't know that JI even publishes any sort of annual report for it's members, online or not. When I was on the BOD, I don't recall ever getting anything like that. The financial stuff is handed out at the meetings.

JI is way behind on keeping it's members up to date and informed.

Ben R.

That was addressed at the executive committee meeting I attended this past weekend. In the past John Miller who was the Director of Operations kept up the USjudo web page for free. Now we have to pay someone to redo our USA judo website and make it a place that disseminates the information that everyone is looking for. I personally think we need to let our JI members register and reregister on-line. Hopefully in the future this is what will happen.

Hi John,

Take a look at this website. One of the best designed judo websites on the net.

http://www.norwalkjudo.com/

The webmaster is Alex Fukuma. I believe he is the son of the head instructor. Might be able to do a website for the JI for a very decent price.

When you guys re-design the website, you should really set up a Volunteer page. There you should post the services that JI would appreciate being donated by members or friends of members. There are alot of talented people around the country in judo. They also know alot of people. You should be able to get alot of the things you need to operate for free.

Thanks JG,

I am actually good friends with Alex's older brother, Chris. I checked out the website and it is going to be forwarded to our new director of operations as a good example of what we need. The volunteer idea, which i really like, will also be forwarded too, thanks.

John

Hi John,

That's great that you know Chris. Looks like Alex has his own business geared specifically towards web design. Here is the link.

www.designdojo.net

Looking at some of his work, I think the guy can build a world class site for you.

I think you could have a win/win situation here. If Alex builds a site for you, maybe the JI could direct traffic and leads to him from their website. Might incentivize him to build it for a reduced cost. Perhaps even better than reduced cost. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Chris and Alex - shit names I have not seen in a while.

just out of curiosity..

with all that money sitting in the bank, why doesnt the JF start some serious college clubs around the country.. they could try to make it a go in all the areas where they have strong yudanshikai (NANKA, CENCO, CJBBA, etc..) and then give their up and coming kids someplace to go that will also keep them in the JF for life....

i bet it wouldnt even cost 1/3 of the money they have in the bank to start 3 programs (1 on the east coast, one in the midwest and 1 out west).

Josh wrote,

"with all that money sitting in the bank, why doesnt the JF start some serious college clubs around the country.. they could try to make it a go in all the areas where they have strong yudanshikai (NANKA, CENCO, CJBBA, etc..) and then give their up and coming kids someplace to go that will also keep them in the JF for life...."

The issue of collegiate programs has bothered me greatly over the last several months. If judo is going to work in this country, we NEED several higher learning institutions around the country that offer competitive judo programs, similar to SJSU. If the grass roots judo programs are successful, we need to transistion the students to quality programs as they pursue their educational interests. The question I think that has to be answered is "Is the USJF the organization that should do it?"

I gotta say no. If you read their mission statement in the year end report, they are looking to promote judo at the grade school and high school level.

Secondly, the reason the JF is so strong is that they are not spending all their free cash flow and adding to the assets of the organization. Starting collegiate programs at the expense of the balance sheet, is something I wouldn't want to do.

If you read the YE report, you will also see that about 1/2 the assets are restricted cash. That money can only be used for the purposes they were intended. They are further restricted because only the income generated by the cash balances can be used to fund their individual programs. They are in effect, funds that will exist in perpetuity.

The YE report also shows you how the JF spent their money generated over fixed and variable operating expenses to fund development programs. That money has to be spread around, and I think they did a good job in dispersing funds. Its imperative that the JF funds the Yudanshakai's that fund them, otherwise there is no reason to belong to the JF.

The answers to the collegiate program question reside in the combined strengths of JA,JF and JI. That's why I think this YE report of the JF is so important. That's why I think the JI and JA should do it as well. They should also be as detailed as the JF.

If we knew exactly how many judokas, clubs, funds etc that were involved in judo, we could come to a consensus of how to fund something as important as collegiate programs. There is an answer there, but without information shared among us, it is very difficult to come up with a solution.

On another note, we have to do something about funding young judokas who want to go to college and pursue their judo careers and education. Here is a bone of contention I have with the JF and the other organizations. We have some scholarship programs, but they are never contigent on the athlete going to a college program that has an elite team. What sense does that make? Scholarship money should be used exclusively for students attending colleges with aspiring or elite judo programs.

"you were a great junior player. congratulations! here is some money for college now. you are done with judo, most likley becuase we never told you to go to a college that had good judo and would give you the chance to become a great senior player too. all the same, here is some money and thanks for being a good kid with good grades who is now going to quit judo and never come back."

that is the only scholarship ive ever heard of that doesnt require the person to stick with what they have already done. if you earn a scholarship in football you have to keep playing football! if you earn a schlarship becuase you had good grades then you'd better keep the good grades!

likewise, if you earned a scholarship beucause you were good at judo, then they should make sure you stck with judo!

JG couldnt be more right.

For college, the scholarship money is key. At ISU, we tried to recruit guys from the Boise area, which has a fairly well developed grade school and high school Judo program.

The first question was always "how much money can you give me", i.e., scholarships. No scholarship, no interest. No students with some Judo training (or wrestling)already, no elite collegiate Judo program.

Ben R.