Usman/Masvidal PPV reportedly generates 700,000 buys in U.S

The early buyrate estimates for UFC 261 have come in.

According to Sports Business Journal (H/T Jason Cruz), last Saturday’s championship tripleheader in Florida tallied at least 700,000 domestic pay-per-view buys, aka units sold in the United States. We don’t know the global pay-per-view details as of yet, but it looks as if this outperformed UFC 259: Blachowicz vs. Adesanya, and currently sits right behind the Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier rematch as the best performing UFC PPV of 2021.

This is actually down from last July’s first matchup between welterweight champion Kamaru Usman and Jorge Masvidal, which totaled a reported 900,000 PPV buys domestically and 1.3 million overall. That card also featured three title fights, although Usman vs. Masvidal I proved to be anticlimactic compared to the extremely climactic ending to their rematch.

Not bad. However it was a stacked card.

Very nice none the less

Usman sold more than Jones last 3 ppv fights. Maybe Usman should demand 10M +

1 Like

List the 3 Jones cards so we can compare.

3 title fights cant break a million kinda sad.

3 Likes

UFC has lost momentum, for sure.

Their decision to keep increasing PPV prices can’t help their cause either.

1 Like

Nice numbers

Honestly thought it would be around the 1m Mark.

One of the reasons Conor can do whatever the fook he wants, hes such a cash cow for them its not even funny.

Was being dramatic…but lets see. Jones last 3 were Reyes, Santos, Smith. I doubt any of those hit 700k. Jones has only sold above 800k vs Cormier and has never hit close to 1M buys.

The dilution of cards isn’t helping either. This card was the exception with 3 high profile fights. Most events have only 1… 1.5 interesting fights. I’m not saying only 1.5 fun fights to watch but they are fighters fans are clamoring to see.

I wouldn’t buy a ppv even if there wouldn’t be other ways to watch it. The price is rediculous, and fights are very rarely as entertaining as on the last card. Without weight classes below lightweight and only championship female fights on the cards I would at least have a guilty conscience about it though