USSD Shaolin Kempo ?'s

A new location of USSD Shaolin Kempo has opened up near me. Since it is such a giant organization, I'm sure you guys have some experience with it. I would like to know a couple of things I couldn't gather off of a little internet research.

I have around 20 yrs of experience in the martial arts and just want something to keep my loose why learning some applicable techniques. Please none of the standard responses ( try it out, matters what you are looking for, anything is better than nothing, etc ), I want some personal experiences with the schools or system. THis is Demasco's stuff, if that helps.

1. How form/kata oriented is it ?
  2. What do the techniques resemble ? American Kenpo ? Wushu ? I have no idea.
  3. I know they are pretty McDojo-ish ( or are THE McDOJO according to your source ). Is it just ridicously watered down ?
  4. Your observations ?
  1. How form/kata oriented is it ?

Depends on the instructor. you have 10 forms to learn before Black. But different instructors will have different emphasis. My old instructor had a background in Judo and did more techniques. Another instructor I knew lived for sport Karate, his students won a lot of tournaments.

1. What do the techniques resemble ? American Kenpo ? Wushu ? I have no idea.

The Combinations came from Nick Cerio. They are closer to American Kenpo than Wushu, but they are different, def more Karate.

1. I know they are pretty McDojo-ish ( or are THE McDOJO according to your source ). Is it just ridicously watered down ?

Depends on the instructor. But I have seen many other traditional Karate schools that are similar.
Hard to say what is really watered down .

1. Your observations ?

The forms are traditional forms you will find in other traditional Karate styles. George Dillman has the Pinions on video with pressure point attacks. So there are resources out there to make it what you want.

The forms are actual forms from TMA, the black belt stuff is Villaris (or USSD's) creation. It is based on what Villari learned while under Nick Cerio.

I have met USSD/Villari people who can fight and others who can barly walk. Steve Demasco has talent, but that doesnt mean your instructor does.

The system was created by Fred Villari, USSD broke off from him and changed some items but it is basically the villari system.

If you took it, and put on gloves and fought someone regularly with heavy contact you will have fighting skills (Not UFC)

So....

Is it a good system? Its equal to pretty much the comon Karate sytem out ther, and they do the most common forms.
Is it worth while? The information is generic to most Karate styles, you can take it elsewhere and it will be a good base to build on. While it doesnt include BJJ type grappling, it does have a lot of information.

The instructor could be good or bad, or open to new training methods.

Try it.

Find a more traditional school, it'll be half the price

Pretty much what I had figured by the instructor with 4 yrs experience, 30 lbs overweight,etc. When I related some of my "experience" she said I should come in and show her some of my "forms". In all honesty, I will be suprised if they stay open for more than 6 months. THat area is inundated with TMA competition.

Kuk Sul Won, Bushi Ban Karate, Chi Soo Te Jujitsu, etc. Within a 3 mile radius. Of course I decided just to go back to my judo dojo.

My experience with that organization (before it split apart) would make me never, ever, ever go anywhere near them or recommend them to anyone ever. Ever.

My 12 year old niece goes to USSD and pays thru the nose for belt promotions. She's getting her black belt and when she showed me her technique, I couldn't believe how poor it is.

They may be the best known, but they are not the biggest.

I have met guys who have 500 or more students, charge 100 a month (Do the math, lots of money)They all belong to the Martial Arts Industry Association and share information on how to make big schools and tons of money.

USSD/Villari learned the franchise business. But they cannot compare to the MAIA guys.

I say one guy who teaches Kenpo (Parker Kenpo) but if you watch it, it looks like TKD. He teaches exciting classes.

Q. How form/kata oriented is it ?

A. If you take Fred Villari karate, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Q. What do the techniques resemble ? American Kenpo ? Wushu ? I have no idea.

A. If you take Fred Villari karate, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Q. I know they are pretty McDojo-ish ( or are THE McDOJO according to your source ). Is it just ridicously watered down ?

Q. Your observations ?

spoxjox has lone kimoned the correct

impactqc, do you live in the clear lake tx area?

I do live in the Clear Lake area.