Valente Bros. Black Belt rolling level?

Ees normal

I counted 9 people that received their black belt at the same time. That is a great achievement for any school.

1 Like

We did it in Danzan Ryu Ju jitsu and I have seen it Hapkido too. Pretty ā€œuniversalā€ move, I would say.

Canā€™t imagine telling students, ā€œYeah, hereā€™s what you should do.ā€

1 Like

They truly believe it with all of their hearts and souls

Holy shit, you posted something on reddit? Guy said something similar like 4 years ago.

u/BCDFrames avatar

BCDFramesā€¢4 yr. ago

Additional comment actions

As always, there are exceptions --and there is some really dumb stuff sometimes in sport-BJJ-- but generally IME students from heavy sport schools are better and TOUGHER than people from more self-defense oriented schools.

Very similar to the difference between a legit kickboxing school and a Krav Maga School. The Krav Students ā€œtrain for the streetā€ but the Kickboxing Students are more skilled at actual fighting and MUCH tougher.

I think this has to do as much with the personalities of people who are attracted to each kind of school, as it does the actual training itself.

You definitely get a little bit of a softer crowd at both self-defense oriented BJJ schools and Krav Maga Schools. You get a lot more people who are COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to fighting. People who are blank slates. Whereas at more ā€œsport-orientedā€ BJJ schools you will more commonly get people who have done other combat sports. Also, because of the tournament element, people tend to train harder and more frequently at ā€œsportā€ schools.

Just watch the Valente Brothers in-house tournament if you donā€™t believe me. Pick any random school in that same area and I would wager that the average number of hours the students put in at the random school is higher than at the Valente Brothers. I also would bet that the students of the randomly picked school would beat the Valente Brothers school if they held a head-to-head tournament and fare better in a street fight. I think any advantage of street specific tactics are negligible when the students donā€™t train hard.

1 Like

I never posted anything on reddit in my life. Not even once.

I certainly wrote that, but I didnā€™t post it there, I posted it on this forum.

People have reposed things I have written --particularly about self-defense and BJJ-- on redditt. But Iā€™ve never done it. Last year a student told me he watched an old match of mine someone put on redditt. I have no idea why. But, I really donā€™t spend any time there. Never had an account or whatever.

3 Likes

Off topic butā€¦in conversation i have used your ā€œbrown belt is the sloth beltā€ several times.

1 Like

Master Shen if often quoted. He is the most prolific writer in Martial Arts.

6 Likes

True.

I am widely credited with creating the now common BJJ instructional greeting, ā€œHey guys.ā€

5 Likes

What about Osu, professor and acai?

Youā€™re gonna think Iā€™m lying, but when I started BJJ, Americans were just into regular blueberries. It was embarrassing.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve seen videos where bjjers, Boxers, wrestlers, Thai, judoā€¦ use their style in self defense. Proof that sport styles work on the street all over YouTube.
Never saw a knife defense like this work. Really ANY knife defense.
And Iā€™ve seen several stabbing videos.

I watch this Krav Maga show on a local tv channel with this effeminate Israeli guy tosses around willing students with wristlocks, lever takedowns & upward palm strikes to the jaw.
Never once seen a video of any of that working in self defense.

Trying to standing jointlock anyone in a grappling match is very hard and thatā€™s why you almost never see it.
Trying to standing jointlock someone in the true life/death situation of a knife attack, is crazy. Anyone teaching that needs to re-evaluate.

4 Likes

Yet itā€™s taught all the time. I was taught it on kenpo as a kid. I was taught if someone punches at meā€¦ I grab his wrist and spin around and he falls down neutralized.
Then I saw Gracieā€™s in action. Once I saw reality I just accepted it.
Baffling that these people can honestly think u can defend Vs a knife using that nonsense.
I refuse to accept that on some level they donā€™t know that itā€™s cosplay. No one could be that dumb. I admit that I sensed it was bullshit when I trained Kenpo. Seeing mma just convinced me what I already accepted,
My teacher kinda lost me when he said that he would easily ko mike Tyson in a real fight just by kicking him once.

1 Like

This is indisputable. Outside of fight-sequence choreography, that shit has no credibility for real life application.

There would be a video of it by now. Weā€™ve seen arm bars in street fights, RNC, etc. But weā€™ve never seen a Steven Seagal-esque Aikido knife disarm.

Maybe, just MAYBE itā€™s a fun way of learning basic joint locks from standing but no instructor should ever insist that itā€™s a real defense for someone with a blade trying to kill you.

3 Likes

In the 90ā€™s I had a Karate instuctor that taught a self defense technique where you catch the punching fist (at the meaty part of the thumb) before it hits your face, shift your feet a little, then wrist lock him all the way til the cops arrive. And boom! Youā€™re a front page newspaper hero!

3 Likes

Lol we prolly had the same teacher! I was typing my reply while you beat me to the punch! So it kinda looks like i stole your story!

1 Like

I mean, they shoot at kids throwing rocks.

In their defense. Kids are mostly assholes

1 Like

I steal shenā€™s material all the time. I just donā€™t post it anywhere. I say it in real life to make myself sound more witty than I actually am.

5 Likes