Van Halen

Spinnin' fair waring right now...you just don't hear shit like this anymore.

I can't wait until record companies ditch the "image" value of a band and go back to signing TALENTED musicians.

This album was released in 1981(using inferior equiptment compared to todays)and ittotally blows anything away that's coming out these days.

(rock-hard rock wise)

There is a new Van Halen out there waiting to be discovered..but they won't because they're too "ugly" for the image based industry of today.

bullshit!!

Just my 2 cents..lol

Fair Warning=Eddies best playing hands down

It's been over 25 years since VH's first album came out, and since then who has done what Eddie's done? No one. Vai, Malmsteen and a few others are good, but their audience is mainly other guitar players. VH is not only a great player but also wrote music that is liked by non-shredders. I don't think there is another VH lying undiscovered. Bands today suck.

BEST

THREAD

EVA

I agree, great band.

So I'm not the only one who noticed as technology got better bands began to get worse.
Lets see you punch in a 64th note on a reel to reel.

Thats part of the reason I listen to so much country blues, you've got one take - sing into the bell, its going straght to vinyl.

But back to the topic, that album was awesome.

"There is a new Van Halen out there waiting to be discovered..but they won't because they're too "ugly" for the image based industry of today. "

I'll bet there are a few, the problem is there's no market - nobody wants to hear it. And they're too ugly.

Fair Warning = BEST VH album period.

Thank producer Ted Templeman,also.He is a studio GOD.Check out Alex's snare sound during the quiet part on "Mean Streets".It's like the whole band has an Echoplex sound on them.

Simply amazing.

How about alex's high hat sound in "sunday afternoon in the park"?

Van Halen changed my life,for better or worse.

It is largely because of Eddie's hot rodding of his guitars,and the tidal wave of modifying and custom building of guitars that followed that I am a guitar builder/repairman/customizer.

Even before that though, they were by far my favorite band, from the first single,Runnin'with the Devil/Eruption on the same 45rpm record. I bought that before I had even heard of the band, on a whim,and was blown away. I just couldn't figure out what he was doing on "Eruption". I was VERY ignorant about how guitarists got their sounds, and the combination of his tone, the echoplex,and the tapping technique just flat freaked me out. I saw them at the Day on the Green concert in Oakland that they did right at the end of their Black Sabbath supporting tour(their first),and they were great. Been a fan ever since, but started to lose interest the longer Sammy sang for them, which is ironic because when DLR was singing I used to think that Sammy would be the perfect replacement. When he got the gig, I wondered what had happened to the guy who sang on the first Montrose album. :(

Favorite EVH solos:Atomic Punk,Push Comes To Shove,Drop Dead Legs...nope there's just too many.;)

Sorry,I meant the snare drum sound on the quiet part of "So,This Is Love?".Yes,Racer we are gear geeks,but,that's OK...

? for X.What phase pedal was Eddie famous for using,and what setting did he have it at?HEHE.

Ponyboy-You are reffering to Alex's Paiste 2002 Soundedge 15" hi-hats.Yes,they're sitting on my kit as we speak,thank you.

ttt

"? for X.What phase pedal was Eddie famous for using,and what setting did he have it at?HEHE."

If you're talkin' first album, it was a MXR Phase 90 set for a whole note sweep for tunes like Ain't Talkin 'bout Love.

Ya gotta watch the later stuff, because he used a Hamonizer to replicate a lot of effects that he did with pedals early on.

Ya know, Eddie is second only to Billy Gibbons for talking complete shit about his gear in interviews. I remember a Guitar Player magazine interview where he said he use a Variac to INCREASE the voltage to his amp. The truth is he REDUCED the voltage to allow him to crank the amp and have the tubes running at lower voltage for the "brown sound". He made a lot of work for amp repair guys though.

As I remember the Variac usage, the unit used to "cycle" the voltage. Ed mentioned in the article I read that he could tell when voltage was "up" by the way his gtr sounded.
Either way, its too fuckin cool!

BT

What got me about Eddies' playing was his fantastic melodic sense. Songs like "A simple ryhme", "Women in love", "Hear about it later", "I'll wait" and "secrets", were phenomonal.

Racer X,you may procede to the front of the class.

Eddie says that he's influenced most by Clapton,however,I hear more Leslie West,which is just America's Clapton.Eddie also admired Tommy Bolin quite a bit.

What sucks is I could have eddie's exact guitar, amp, setup, electronics, adjustments, etc....and I still wouldn't sound a thing like him.

Alex's snare sounds were always fantastic. I especially like it on the 1984 album.

Yeah,Alex is sooo underated.His main snare is a 6.5" Ludwig Super Sensitive(the most recorded drum,ever) with a Remo C.S. Blackdot and loads of gaff tape on top,craanked high.I beleive he used a Tama Artstar snare for awhile,also.

Eddie and Alex are great, but I've heard from a guy who played with Michael Anthony that he was anything but impressive.

"Outta Love Again" is clearly Alex's best drumming I've heard.