VEGETARIAN DIET AND THE GORILLA AND GORILLA TURDS?

Okay my MMA trainer has been vegetarian for almost to years he is always telling us after sparring, rolling etc that the biggest strongest animals in the animal kingdom do not eat meat mainly the gorilla, but was watching tosh the other day, and he showed a gorilla eating his own turds right out the popper he caught with his hand then ate it!

So what is lacking in a gorillas diet to make him eat his own turds is this the way
They get b vitamins cause i was told by a friend of mind that its hard to get b vitamins without heat, fire etc is this the case? Phone Post

exactly. if that kind of logic really worked, then observing leigh would suggest that eating sloppy chinese takeout will get you shredded

One really good reason for the difference between the size and muscle that Gorillas pack on with a vegetarian diet versus how humans struggle to get big and lean on diets with vastly more protein: Humans burn/metabolize protein and muscle, Gorillas don't. At least not nearly at the same rate as humans. Its all do to myostatin levels--the hormone that tells the body to burn its muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin

Ever seen pictures of a myostatin deficient cow? Those things are pure muscle off a diet of grass...

http://www.who-sucks.com/wp-content/uploads/icons//2007/07/myostatin_deficient_cow.jpg

And why would a Gorilla eat a big ass turd like a banana tho? Phone Post

blacksamurai - 

Because they are stupid?

I´am vegan and don´t care abour gorillas. As long as you eat strong foods (beans, lentils, avocados, nuts, seeds,etc.) and supplement with plant protein you get big and strong and I would never go back to a regular diet.

molsonman -
blacksamurai -  And why would a Gorilla eat a big ass turd like a banana tho? Phone Post

Because they are stupid?

Oh like fecophilia or something... Phone Post

Peoples personal eating plans are a matter of choice. That being said...There is no advantage to becoming a Vegan. Most make this choice based on Moral / Ethical reasons. Some for what they feel are health benefits. Being vegan is not automatically better for you, nor is it automatically better for the environment, etc.

I am "Pro Choice" so, if one wishes to be Vegan...knock yourself out. Just being clear that it is one very specific way of eating and it's not for everyone.

TAKU

I think the vast majority of vegans are healthier, however. Of course there are the junk food vegans/vegetarians that we've spoken of in many threads in the past but I rarely see vegans who don't know about b12 or omega-3s etc whilst I see even body builders who only understand macros and not trace minerals, nutrients, vitamins, etc.

That being said, your coach/trainer, OP is a bit nuts...Gorillas also have little peckers so does that suggest that dudes with small penises are stronger than dudes with larger penises? 

Taku, it is actually better for the environment, it's just hard to really conceptualize it but overall, the major production of grain and soy and corn (all terrible things) are done to fatten up livestock (also something they shouldn't be consuming since they ruminant animals. So, that alone is "better" for the environment. 

herwil10 - One really good reason for the difference between the size and muscle that Gorillas pack on with a vegetarian diet versus how humans struggle to get big and lean on diets with vastly more protein: Humans burn/metabolize protein and muscle, Gorillas don't. At least not nearly at the same rate as humans. Its all do to myostatin levels--the hormone that tells the body to burn its muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin

Ever seen pictures of a myostatin deficient cow? Those things are pure muscle off a diet of grass...

http://www.who-sucks.com/wp-content/uploads/icons//2007/07/myostatin_deficient_cow.jpg

5* star post. Also to OP, I'd be concerned about his personal diet choices being preached in class. My coaches are all vegan but I wouldn't know unless I asked. You can be very healthy and eat meat too. Phone Post

You get strong by eating strong animals.  You take their essence when you do so.  To get even stronger exponentially, you just...

Leigh - Your MMA trainer is incorrect. Whales are carnivorous.

He is also an imbecile if he is trying to convince that eating like another animal will cause you to grow big like one. That taking the characteristics of an animal by eating their food sounds like something a witch doctor would say.

I'm always a fan of your posts but this may be one of the best (non technical). Witch doctor = legit lol. Phone Post

Are you training with Matt Furey?

Hey Arthur,

What I meant was that industrialized farming is one of the worst things for the planet. If we assume all vegans are totally concious of the source of their food...Then perhaps in theory it's not bad. But I feel many people are not aware. Farming on the super scale at which it is done today, is one of the worst things going for the planet.

So...what I was implying is that if you feel that just because you eat a plant based diet, it is better for the earth...you are mistaken.

Hope that's clear.

TAKU

I knew that's what you were saying, I was actually trying to re-iterate it but I guess, I rushed and wasn't too clear :)

Great input as always, Taku!

blacksamurai - 

Because you have to peel a turd to get to the good stuff?

Taku - 

Hey Arthur,

What I meant was that industrialized farming is one of the worst things for the planet. If we assume all vegans are totally concious of the source of their food...Then perhaps in theory it's not bad. But I feel many people are not aware. Farming on the super scale at which it is done today, is one of the worst things going for the planet.

So...what I was implying is that if you feel that just because you eat a plant based diet, it is better for the earth...you are mistaken.

Hope that's clear.

TAKU

I am a heavy meat eater myself, but to be fair, eating a plant-based diet is better for the earth because it reduces industrialized farming.  This is due to the fact that the majority of crops are grown in order to *drum roll* produce feed for the animals we eat.  If we were all to eat plants instead of those animals, then the increase in the amount of plants we eat would still fall very, very short of the amount of plant matter those animals were eating.  Of course, hunting and catching wild fish (which I also do) resolves this issue, but with the current population, it wouldn't be feasible for everyone to rely on that for subsistence.

Taku - 

Peoples personal eating plans are a matter of choice. That being said...There is no advantage to becoming a Vegan. Most make this choice based on Moral / Ethical reasons. Some for what they feel are health benefits. Being vegan is not automatically better for you, nor is it automatically better for the environment, etc.

I am "Pro Choice" so, if one wishes to be Vegan...knock yourself out. Just being clear that it is one very specific way of eating and it's not for everyone.

TAKU

What they 'feel' are health benefits? Personally I was eating healthy before going vegan, but still my LDL dropped, WBC count went up, my allergies went away, energy level is consistently higher and I'm measurably faster on my bike. The health benefits are real and measurable.

If you mean that just stopping the consumption of animal products isn't fundamentally healthy you're correct. You can still eat like crap as a vegan as we've talked about in other threads. But to say there are no advantages (or downsides) to being vegan diet just isn't true.

I love how the last two posts, re-iterated what I all ready said. Love ya'll and love my paleo vegan haters also :P

I just tacked the junk food vegan thing on to agree with that point. I think I brought it up originally in the other threads. Or you did in an earlier thread I didn't read. ;)

Can I also agree that feedlot beef and the corn subsidy crap that supports it is incredibly harmful to humanity as a whole without offending anyone? That shit is terrible for us in more ways than one.