Very good column "jonesin' for a scapegoat"

Here is an interesting take on the Jon Jones drama. Some of you might agree, others may not but it's a good take. It's all about business for all parties.

Jonesin' for a scapegoat - MMASucka.com

SPOT ON:

You’re mad, the UFC is mad, this whole damn place is mad!

UFC 151 has been axed. It will forever be known, because I’m officially dubbing it right now, as “The Ghost Card.” Put that in your trivia data banks.

Jon Jones made a decision that he felt was best for his career. Dan Henderson sustained a knee injury where the UFC had to force him to withdraw from the fight. The guy was prepared to fight “Bones” on one leg. Yes many of you will say that is what a real fighter is, you go out there and fight whoever, whenever, and you do it on one leg. I give Hendo full respect for that but that would have also been rather stupid on his part. But at this point in Henderson’s career, he really has nothing to lose or prove. Maybe he is one of the last of the Mohicans. A relic from a different time where guys had to fight hurt and didn’t care who was standing in front of them; but that was then and this is now.

Stupidity would also be Jon Jones taking a fight with Chael Sonnen on three days notice. Yes I know you say eight, I say three real days of actual training, because you have to take into account that there are at least five days devoted to weight cutting, media and promotion before every big fight. That is the regular routine for a top level UFC fighter as I heard “Bones” Jones’s trainer Greg Jackson explain it.

If you are the UFC light heavyweight champion, and you want to cement your legacy as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, would you risk a loss against a bad ass like Chael Sonnen on three days preparation time? All of you armchair cage fighters can say, “Yeah man I’d do it” but you’re not Jon Jones and you’re not the light heavyweight of anything…

The fact of the matter is, fighting has become big business. For a lot of these competitive SOBs it’s about the wins and losses. They don’t like to lose and they will be smart with the fights they take and when they take them. The fighter in you can disagree, but the professional in Jones made the smart decision for his career; note his career.

All of this Jones venom is rather ridiculous and Dana White only fueled it by throwing his champion and his legendary trainer under the bus. It was completely mishandled by Zuffa, the UFC and Dana White. It appears White reacted on emotion and that isn’t the first time and won’t be the last. He is an emotional guy. Calling Greg Jackson a “sport killer” is over the line, and saying Jon Jones is not a real fighter and selfish was even more disrespectful.

Not a real fighter? Selfish? Jon Jones is one of many reasons why the UFC is making money. Jones has slowly become the face of the UFC. Love him or hate him, even the most casual of fight fan would buy a UFC PPV with Jones has the headliner. So throwing that cash cow under the bus was rather…umm…confusing and inopportune.

Canceling 151 is unfortunate but Zuffa made a business decision. Was it the right one? I guess it depends on how you look at it. I feel awful for those fighters who can no longer pick up a pay cheque as some need it more than others. In fact that is who has been affected the most, and to me, the UFC is to blame for the decision, not Jon.

Maybe it was fear that 151 would turn into another snoozer of a card like UFC 149 and maybe this time they wanted to save some face. To be honest there wasn’t a fight on that card that you could sell as a Main Event. Apparently Anderson Silva offered up his services but by that time it was too late. Yet, I have always gone by the old theater and circus adage, “The show must go on.” Guys have mouths to feed and the UFC should have adjusted, grin and bared it, but they decided to pull the plug.

Jones made a business decision and a business decision was made by the UFC and for us fans we just have to live with that. We can be mad, but they are all doing what they feel is in the best interest of their own brands.

Most of us don’t have millions, Nike sponsorships, or wear big shiny UFC belts around our waists. In the fight game the business is you. Jones is his own corporation. Some of you have your own businesses and there are moments where you have to make tough choices that may not always be popular, but you make the call because you are looking out for the greater good of your company.

Dana White exercised a little bit of hypocrisy. Jon Jones doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone. He is the top dog. It has nothing to do with money but everything to do with being the champion of the world and one day quite possibly the greatest. Jones didn’t cancel the event and he didn’t hurt Dan Henderson’s knee. The decision of canceling of the show was made by Zuffa. It wouldn’t have been the first time a Main Event would have been called off, but I always admired the UFC for rolling with the punches.

The frustration spewed by Dana White today was not really about Jones not fighting Chael Sonnen. To me that deep down frustration came from another high profile fight being nixed due to injury. It has been a continuation of what has been a very rough year for the big promotion. This is the first event cancelled by the UFC, but I’m guessing it probably won’t be the last. Maybe we can insert my argument that the UFC has stretched itself too thin here, but I will leave that for another day. No reason to kick a horse while it’s down.

Jones could have thrown caution to the wind and taken a title defense for someone he couldn’t prepare for properly, but what happened if he lost? It may not mean much to you or me, but for Jones it would be devastating. Maybe we can’t relate, but in this game winning is everything and you do whatever you can to make that possible. Even if Jones were offered Machida or Weidman on only eight days notice, he would have said no to those match ups too. There is no conspiracy theory. It’s not about Jon Jones ducking Chael Sonnen. It’s about having prep time so that Jones can increase his odds of winning. If you’re an athlete isn’t the the most important thing? Winning? Last time I checked they don’t have a participation belt.

Now we have Jones vs. Machida 2 at UFC 152 on September 22nd, wait…nope Machida turned it down and now we have Shogun Rua? Nope he turned it down too, so now it’s Belfort. So many people to be mad at, the question is will Dana White hold a conference call to say that Machida and Rua are selfish fighters too? I’m thinking not. It’s just business.

I think it's a good take. Funny how we are divided on it. I think a lot of that comes from people who already disliked Jones.

He is absolutely being a scape goat. Clearly imo.

Why should one fighter be obligated to accept a huge last minute change and accept all the risk that goes with it? The UFC gains by getting such a freak but big last minute change, so do the fans and so does Chael...but Jones has everything to lose here himself.

How does him looking out for his interest in waning to be properly prepared for his title defense mean he's thumbing his nose at anyone?

Because people just dont like him, thats why and Dana is hissy fittng because of his own interest but Jones cant look out for his own, eh?

Of course haters are gonna hate. This is just trashy behavior by the UFC trying to pin this on Jones. And it sounds pretty suspect to me that Henderson was hurt a few weeks ago and Chael may have know it. They know Jones can be made to be the bad guy since a lot of people already don't like him. This is utter bullshit and hopefully enough people are smart enough to see it.

I cant blame jones for the cancellation because that was the UFCs call. Dana is out of line if it was me we would keep him off tv and a silent suit because too many times he has put his foot in his mouth.

Skarhead makes some good points, I think Dana was mad about a few things.

1. Another big fight gets cancelled by injuries.

2. Jones was healthy and ready to fight on that event, he was training for a wrestler with power, Sonnen is a wrestler without power.

3. Sonnen is a MW moving up and hasnt been training for a fight, its a fight that everyone believes Jones would dominate. Dana would probably tell you off the record its an easier fight for Jones, a fight he should win easily. Its not like he wasnt training for a fight and the UFC asked him to fight in 8 days or they are asking him to fight Anderson Silva on 8 days notice. Its a fight Jones should easily win.

4. UFC had to cancel an event behind this, losing alot of money.

So you add it all up, another big fight is fucked, hasnt been a good year for the UFC, you get a replacement that is an easier fight for Jones and he turns it down. Jones doesnt help the UFC out. Dana/UFC love guys who bring it when they fight, go all out, they like guys who help them out when they need it. Jones wouldnt do that so that pisses Dana off as well.

Its a combination of all those factors that led Dana to flip out.

Imagine if Jones took the fight how Dana could spin it. Dana would be telling everyone what a warrior his LHW champ is, that he will take on anyone, anywhere, anytime. That the event was gonna be cancelled but Jones stepped up to save it. He could even bring up boxing saying if a Floyd or Manny fight a guy gets hurt a week out they kill the card and move it, in the UFC we dont do that, our guys, Jon Jones will fight anyone.

Dana could sell Jones hard as being a warrior, he helps the UFC, he saves an event, he gets good publicity, he gets an easier fight against a guy who was just talking shit about him. Everyone wins in that situation but Jones said no which made Dana furious.

Dana can be mad but he could have handled it better, he could be pissed behind the scenes at Jones but he could have said Jones didnt want to take it, he has his reasons and it sucks but we had to cancel the event. He didnt need to shit on Jones as much as he did. Jones is still their LHW champ and a PPV draw for the company.

I dont think anyone handled this situation well.

LOL, seriously...JBJ did NOT tell Dana to cancel the event.

Gee dana, maybe if the undercard wasn't ABSOLUTE GARBAGE...for $60...maybe you wouldn't be in this mess.

MMASucka1 -  I think it's a good take. Funny how we are divided on it. I think a lot of that comes from people who already disliked Jones.

Its both sides, those that hate Jones blame him mostly, those who hate the UFC blame them mostly.

Lots of people in the middle believe both sides share in the blame.

But you see those posters who are anti Zuffa they are killing the UFC, those posters you you normally see killing Jones are blaming him more.

That was the biggest dicktuck in the sports history.

/thread

I don't mind. Keep supporting MMASucka.com. We are trying to do some good things and we would love your support. We are always looking to up our game. I don't mind my column getting posted on here like that, to be honest, I just want you guys to read it and respond. Thanks guys. :)

i dont like Jones.... great fighter but comes off as a dick. but I blame the UFC on this one. If the rest of the card wasnt full of barely known fighters then they could have continued.

MMASucka1 -  I think it's a good take. Funny how we are divided on it. I think a lot of that comes from people who already disliked Jones.

It absolutely has to do with people disliking jones.

If bj Penn, shogun, or nick Diaz had done the same thing people here would back them 100%. But because it's jones there is way more hate.

Also the fact the Dana flew off the handle I think let people feel that they were justified (which we were) at being angry on missing out on a good scrap.

I'm mad, likely more so disappointed but it's not the worst thing ever. Phone Post

SupesUp - 
MMASucka1 -  I think it's a good take. Funny how we are divided on it. I think a lot of that comes from people who already disliked Jones.

If bj Penn, shogun, or nick Diaz had done the same thing people here would back them 100%. But because it's jones there is way more hate.

Also the fact the Dana flew off the handle I think let people feel that they were justified (which we were) at being angry on missing out on a good scrap.

I'm mad, likely more so disappointed but it's not the worst thing ever. Phone Post

Yeah here in Canada I can go away for the long weekend now, so not the worst thing in the world. :)

RJJH -
MMASucka1 - 
SupesUp - 

Yeah here in Canada I can go away for the long weekend now, so not the worst thing in the world. :)

I hear that! woooo long weekend!

In. Phone Post

Good Article I agree except with the part about Jones made a good decision. It would have been better for his career and brand had he taken the fight. And lets be real the chances of him losing would have been slim and none.

Both he and Dana/Zuffa made some pretty disgusting decisions here.

fightcity - Good Article I agree except with the part about Jones made a good decision. It would have been better for his career and brand had he taken the fight. And lets be real the chances of him losing would have been slim and none.

Both he and Dana/Zuffa made some pretty disgusting decisions here.

I get what you're saying. I don't agree with  that it was a fight that he could have easily won. With proper preparation, maybe so, but on a few days notice, the odds aren't "forever in his favor."  I remember hearing Greg Jackson saying that there are some very different differences between Hendo and Sonnen that would have to be worked out. Remember who his manager is. He's a wizard and a tactician. Jackson fighters like to go into fights well prepared. Can't blame him as he is probably the most successful trainer and strategist in the game.

Lots of fans put fighters, especially champions in the "Hero" category. They go out and do what we only wish we could. Some people view what happened as Jones' opportunity to pull some real "Hero" shit, save a card.. give to the fans, the company, the sport.

He opted not to donate his time.

It isn't so much who's fault it was for 151 collapsing, but rather a chance for Jones to look out for a company who have done nothing but look out for him.

Well put Sucka! 

Very well put Hellride!

hellride - Lots of fans put fighters, especially champions in the "Hero" category. They go out and do what we only wish we could. Some people view what happened as Jones' opportunity to pull some real "Hero" shit, save a card.. give to the fans, the company, the sport.

He opted not to donate his time.

It isn't so much who's fault it was for 151 collapsing, but rather a chance for Jones to look out for a company who have done nothing but look out for him.

I can get behind that angle. There are so many different ways to look at it. Nonetheless I don't think this drama is over. Someone breaths funny and Vitor will get injured. All of a sudden we could have Chael again.