Very scary attack *warning:

I'm with grambo. Human compassion is one of the few things that separate us from the lower animals. Others include income taxes and in-flight meals.

fair enough, just watch your own ass. But the "victim" was a capable male who actually initiated the attack, and had many options, including leaving or calling the police.

I doubt the woman had those choices.

Man, I got that nervous fluttery feeling in my stomach just watching that video. It really makes you want to kick that bastard's ass big time when you see something of that sort.

The Guy looked drunk to me; his reactions were very slow and indecisive.
Being drunk is a good way to get battered, good anaesthesia though.
I wouldn't have wanted to be in his head the next morning

Coulda shoulda woulda. The main lesson here everyone is missing is the element of surprise. The guy didn't expect it and therefore didnt see it coming. So be prepared mentally. Otherwise you might not get the chance to use your techniques - whatever they are.

The guy put out a pretty good block to skate dudes initially swing of the board, skate dude stops the swing then engages verbally "look up, look up, look up," his voice is low and calm, hypnotically encouraging the guy to raise his energy (excellent psychological technique)
We hear the guys voice it is shrill, indicating his energy is up and he is centered in his chest, he is ungrounded and fucked, WHAM the rest is black and blue.

What can be learnt from this?
This fight was lost at the psychological level, &
That it is imperative to keep the breathing centred in the abdomen when the fight or flight mechanism is engaged.

I would have waited for him to swing and then tackle him up high so I could tie up his arms. And if I got a proper hold of him I would have slammed him to the pavement so hard they would still be picking up pieces of him. The cement is harder than my fist.

The only form of martial art that would have a 50% chance of defusing this problem would be BJJ, kickboxing, judo,wrestling or any other type of grappling art, something that involves closing the distance as quickly as possible.
--------------------

No, the only thing that would have helped this guy is mental training and awareness skills. Hate to say it, but unless that guy was willing to engage the skater and put him down no matter what no art would have helped him. You even said it in your post "defusing the problem" that requires psychology of an attack/street situation and practice at verbal skills I don't know of many arts striking or grappling that actually practice that on as a part of their art's curriculum (not talking about individual schools/instructors but styles as a whole).

f*ck shooting in on him, he should have shot him.