VIDEO: Details on leg positioning for armbar

Here I am teaching the principles to understand proper leg position when applying the armbar. Many beginners are often confused as they are given conflicting opinions from different instructors. This video will clarify and help students understand when and when not to cross the ankles when applying the armbar.

Wow... talk about a blast from the past. Are you still connected with Roy Harris? Do you still have a gym in San Jose?

No and no. :)

damn dude, you know this shit well but I never heard anyone say deviation so many times in 8 minutes.

thanks for the vid, these adjustments will make a big difference. not many people teach this.

ttt

maybe I missed it in the video but how would you account for not putting pressure on your opponents face with the back of your knee, leaving a gap? even with your legs crossed couldnt your opponent push the inside of your top knee up and drive his head out?

That's some good teaching there!

Biggy - maybe I missed it in the video but how would you account for not putting pressure on your opponents face with the back of your knee, leaving a gap? even with your legs crossed couldnt your opponent push the inside of your top knee up and drive his head out?

nope, due to the fact that you are basically folding his shoulders in. Provided you have the legs crossed and are squeezing w your knees, its like a vice grip so it kills the push. Try it out and see!

Nice Jen, I will try this... but whats with the booties?

I'm not sure what is so awkward about wearing wrestling shoes.

Just interested why you're wearing them? I always found them a hinderance. However, I would wear thim if I had foot injury to protect.

I'm wearing wrestling shoes because it was really really cold that morning. :)

You can also grab the leg if you want. Doing that can increase the misalignment of the body even more.

Great clip.

After watching your video I noticed that when Rener tightens up @ 6:28 he looks very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcViwX3YCI&feature=player_embedded

Hunter V - 
Biggy - maybe I missed it in the video but how would you account for not putting pressure on your opponents face with the back of your knee, leaving a gap? even with your legs crossed couldnt your opponent push the inside of your top knee up and drive his head out?

nope, due to the fact that you are basically folding his shoulders in. Provided you have the legs crossed and are squeezing w your knees, its like a vice grip so it kills the push. Try it out and see!

I understand what you are saying, however, if your opponent tries to drive you onto your back then you're knees will have to open up in order to create a good downward pressure. Then it becomes easier to push the legs off. Does that make sense or should I explain it in a different way? Peace.

Biggy,

Before continuing further hypothetical situations, I suggest trying what I show on the video. Like I said in the video, once you have the position established well, have your partner try to escape and see how it feels. Without feeling and understanding how such a postural deviation affects the body, I don't think any further explanations can help very much. Once you try it, if you still have trouble with the scenario you mentioned, we can try to help troubleshoot the problem.

listen to the black belt (Bolo) on this one Biggy!

I don't want someone to believe what I say is true just because I'm a BJJ black belt. These postural deviations are things that must be felt to truly understand because it is very subtle. I believe people like Biggy are drawing for their experience in dealing with the armbar position, so their questions are understandable. However, if a person had the armbar position without creating the postural deviations like I mentioned, then we aren't talking about the same situation and yes, without creating such deviations, it is very easy to do counters as the one Biggy is talking about.

ttt

Bolo - ttt

Question: At the end of your video, you mention someone having relatively short legs and dealing with broader opponents requiring a different variant for the mounted armbar. Do you have any links to such a video? Just want to see what that variant entails. Much thanks.

for laters