Video: King of Pancrase Tournament 1994

King of Pancrase Tournament 1994 was a mixed martial arts event held by Pancrase Hybrid Wrestling organisation. It took place at the Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan on December 16, & 17, 1994. The event featured a 16 man, single elimination open weight tournament. The Opening Round and Quarterfinals of the tournament took place on Day 1, the Semifinals and Finals took place on Day 2.

It was the biggest "mma" event to date and featured some of the best fighters in the world, including a number of future Ultimate Fighting champions, Ken Shamrock, Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrock, Maurice Smith plus top Japanese fighters Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzuki and Manabu Yamada

The winner of the tournament would be crowned first ever King of Pancrase!

King of Pancrase Tournament

December 16 & 17, 1994

Ryogoku Sumo Hall

Tokyo, Japan

16 Man Open Weight Tournament:

Matt Hume vs Minoru Suzuki

Jason Delucia vs Thomas Puckett

Christopher DeWeaver vs Manabu Yamada

Bas Rutten vs Frank Juarez Shamrock  (mma debut)

Ken Wayne Shamrock vs Alex Cook

Maurice Smith vs Takaku Fuke

Vernon White vs Leon Dijk

Masakatsu Funaki vs Todd Bjornethun

Non Tournament Fights:

Katsuomi Inagaki vs Gregory Smit

Larry Papadopoulos vs Scott Bessac   

Thanks for posting this Pro Ice. It's always fun to see MMA from back in the day.

For later. Thanks.

One of the most overlooked big events in MMA history. Phone Post

Subd Phone Post

I remember getting a copy (of a copy) of these matches on a VHS tape more than a year after they happened.

We were so excited. I took them to the gym so we could break down the sub setups and what not.

Pancrase might seem dated to the Just Bleed kids but those matches were exciting as hell. Fast paced, go for broke w/ a lot oh tech on display. Thanks for posting! Phone Post

sub'd Phone Post

In Phone Post

Excellent Pancrase tournament here. Tom's Video in North Vancouver used to have early Pancrase tapes, along with a lot of other cool stuff years ago but I haven't seen that much of it since then, at least not full tournament wise.

Thanks again Pro Ice.

Later. I love Pro Ice threads Phone Post

TTT

Thank you for posting this, Pro Ice. I only have the edited version on tape. The unedited version does the event so much more justice. Phone Post

its odd that when they took the back in pancrase they almost never used the hooks

ttt Phone Post

ranier wolfcastle -  its odd that when they took the back in pancrase they almost never used the hooks

If you are referring to the final, Ken injured his knee vs Funaki (and nearly pulled out of the final). That's why he avoided throwing hooks in. Phone Post

Thanks ProIce. For all ya vids. Ur awesome brother. Phone Post