Video: Rick Roufus vs Chanpuek Kiatsongrit (1988)

Rick Roufus vs Chanpuek Kiatsongrit  -  Las Vegas, Nevada, USA  (11/05/88)  

Thanks, great watching these early Muay Thai vs American Kickboxing bouts.

I remember this bout, Roufus got schooled by Muay Thai leg kicks. I would still rather watch Kickboxing than Muay Thai with nothing but a bunch of leg kicks even though Muay Thai is more effective.

In Phone Post

Great fight. Kiatsongrit's throw in the 3rd is SICK.

ouch

leg kicks all day heh. damn

I remember watching this fight and have it on tape. That was a pretty shitty Thai fighter who didn't know how to throw anything else. What's up with him stomping Rick Roufus when he's down?

If it was a world class Muy Thai fighter like Samart Payakaroon back then, he would have tooled Roufus legitimately. The only thing this video shows is that Roufus didn't know how to check leg kicks.

warez - I remember watching this fight and have it on tape. That was a pretty shitty Thai fighter who didn't know how to throw anything else. What's up with him stomping Rick Roufus when he's down?

If it was a world class Muy Thai fighter like Samart Payakaroon back then, he would have tooled Roufus legitimately. The only thing this video shows is that Roufus didn't know how to check leg kicks.

ypu realize of course that elbows, knees and clinching weren't allowed? Might be hard to adjust...

"Changpuek proved to be too wily for Roufus, despite being knocked down in the first and suffering a broken jaw, won via knockout in the fourth round due to the culmination of low kicks that the American fighter was unprepared for.[4] In 1989 Changpuek faced another top class fighter in Rob Kaman (who unlike Roufus who was starting out, was near the peak of his powers). Changpuek won the first match of four between the two by decision in Paris setting the way for a rematch in Amsterdam the following year this time with the added bonus of the I.M.T.F. light heavyweight world title. Kaman gained his revenge in Amsterdam knocking out Changpuek in the last round of their match. The third match between the pair followed two months later with Changpuek taking a decision victory and the belt which Kaman had only just won.

After his trilogy of fights with Kaman, Changpuek would continue to fight some of the top light heavyweight fighters in the world between 1990 and 1992, losing one and winning one against Peter Smit, defeating the tough Luc Verheye by knockout and decisioning Orlando Wiet. In this period he would lose and regain his I.M.T.F. world title and claim the first ever W.M.K. world belt. In 1993 Changpuek was invited to compete against some of the world's top heavyweight kickboxers at the inaugural K-1 world grand prix, losing to eventual winner Branko Cikati? by knockout at the quarter final stage. Not put off by his K-1 debut he was invited back by the organization to take part in a world title fight - defeating Taiei Kin over five rounds to claim the vacant U.K.F. belt.

1993 would continue to be a busy year for Changpuek, he fought on cards throughout the year in Japan picking up several victories as well as losing to legendary karateka Andy Hug at the karate world cup. At the end of the year he fought in the K-2 Grand Prix '93 a tournament held by K-1 for light heavyweight fighters. As the smallest fighter at the event weighing only 75 kg, Changpuek faced Rob Kaman in the fourth (and final) match of their quartet of fights, winning a grueling match by decision. A victory in the semi finals against Tasis Petridis meant a final match against future x4 K-1 world champion Ernesto Hoost. Weary from his past encounters Changpuek managed to push Hoost into an extra round only to lose eventually via a head kick knockout."

yeah, shitty Thai fighter.

warez - I remember watching this fight and have it on tape. That was a pretty shitty Thai fighter who didn't know how to throw anything else. What's up with him stomping Rick Roufus when he's down?

Shitty? He beat Rob Kaman twice and lasted four rounds with Hoost, despit his size disadvantage.

Samart was half the weight of Roufus.

ttt

IRRC,

Read that Roufus claimed to not know leg kicks were allowed ?

Did Roufus end up with casts on legs after one of these fights ?

Apologize if this is not accurate, but I recall reading this somewhere many moons ago.

LOL at that commentator looking around all bored and not listening to answer to his own question.

Acted like he was not on camera.

Love this fight.

Intersting to see how little the commentators or the ref, seem to know about the efektivness of low kicks, until the effects start to show on Rufus.

Rufus is never counted over, even though he clearly goes down due to leg kicks.

At the end, when Rufus is down, and his corner is trying to help him, they seem like they are checking his knee. Their best bet would probably have been to get the Thai corner to assist them, considering they probably have more experience with treating that kind of specifik injury.

Great video as always. It´s always cool to revisit that old school stuff.

Great posts nobones and CL

@ williepep, 99.99% sure Roufus knew leg kicks where allowed, the announcers did.

And iirc Kiatsongrit did break Rofous' leg,  so probably yes on the cast  :)

Subbed. Lots to watch tonight. Phone Post

this was heartbreaking for me as a kid...I grew up in MKE and Rick "The Jet" was my hero.

when he beat the iceman I went crazy!

Pro Ice -  Great posts nobones and CL

@ williepep, 99.99% sure Roufus knew leg kicks where allowed, the announcers did.

And iirc Kiatsongrit did break Rofous' leg,  so probably yes on the cast  :)<br type="_moz" />

Yes you would think he had to know.

Understand your point, but did you hear/see all the confusion about the rules during the fight ?

Fighters, and announcers.

The announcers even mentioned somethings not being talked about or discussed. Exhibition bout.

Rick started off with a leg kick, albeit it high leg kick.

Ice, maybe what I read was that Rick said he did not know low leg kicks were allowed until right before the fight.

Help me find this article/interview.

It was YEARS ago but I recall reading something related to this, at the time I thought it was just way to splain the loss.