Video: Rick Roufus vs Chanpuek Kiatsongrit (1988)

^ Will look around for it

Pro Ice -  ^ Will look around for it

I may still have the magazine somewhere....

I wouldn't put too much faith into 80s martial arts magazines. Not a high standard of journalism.

"leg kicks don't win fights!"

-Cecil peoples

The thai fighter didn't have the best hands, but he certainly doesn't suck.  I loved the powerful leg kicks and the constant attacking.  Beautiful stuff.

That was one active referee. Really interesting fight though.

The Sultan -  The thai fighter didn't have the best hands, but he certainly doesn't suck.  I loved the powerful leg kicks and the constant attacking.  Beautiful stuff.

Agreed, both showed a ton of heart....but the thai fighter just had the more effective gameplan on that particular day.

Did Roufus get into leg kicks after this fight? Awesome fight, by the way. Thanks for posting.

LOL @ 'It doesn't take too much talent to kick in the legs.'

The Sultan -  The thai fighter didn't have the best hands, but he certainly doesn't suck.  I loved the powerful leg kicks and the constant attacking.  Beautiful stuff.

Changes your entire game when you take away elbows and knees. Thai boxers use their hands...jabs/ crosses as transitions between their kicks to their clinch game.

I remember watching this back in the day.  There was alot of 'which style is better' stuff back then and I had friends who trained at Jet Center who wanted me to train there with them.   

After seeing this tape I decided to go train Muay Thai.

Thats my old coach Saekson Janjira in Kiatsongrits corner. 

Changpuek "Crazy Elephant" Kiatsongrit  (born October 13, 1966) is a retired Thai Muay Thai kickboxer. He is credited as being one of the first Muay Thai fighters to go abroad and fight other fighters of other martial arts styles, often stronger and heavier than himself, bringing to the world an understanding of the effectiveness of Muay Thai.

Changpuek is a seven time world champion who has fought some of the world's best fighters at middleweight to heavyweight and has wins against world class fighters such as Rob Kaman (x3), Rick Roufus, Peter Smit and Tosca Petridis. He is currently a Muay Thai trainer based at the Sitpholek gym in Pattaya, Thailand

Changpuek Kiatsongrit

Born:  October 13, 1966  

Other names:  Crazy Elephant

Nationality:  Thai

Height:  1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)

Weight:  70 kg  (150 lb; 11 st)

Division:  Mw, LHw, Cw, Hw

Style:  Muay Thai

Stance:  Southpaw

Kickboxing record: 

Total:  343

Wins:  277

By knockout:  178

Losses:  61

Draws:  5  

343 fights!!!

Fuckin aye

For later. I love me some Pro Ice! Phone Post

great vid, funny listening to the biased commentary. But I understand it, it would be the same had the fight happened in Thailand, they'd be attaboying their fighter. But at 13:25 when Roufus goes down, the ref slowly walks the thai to the corner then wipes his gloves off in a blatant effort to give Rick more time to recover. It gets disgusting with the Ref's penalizing Changpuek, especially 3 points on the throw which the commentator admits was not ruled illegal in the rules meeting. But great fight...

CaptainBurma - 

Changes your entire game when you take away elbows and knees. Thai boxers use their hands...jabs/ crosses as transitions between their kicks to their clinch game.

Exactly....Those were a bizarre set of rules.

Thought it was kind of funny how Rufus was talking about beating the thai's within their own rules....Umm, no fucking way.

They weren't allowed to clinch, do any throws, throw knees or elbows....Basically, they just allowed leg kicks.....The thai guy was confused because all the strikes he was trying to throw were illegal.

I give that thai fighter all the credit in the world for winning that fight....he got dropped twice and almost finished.  The language barrier, the confusion about the rules, not being able to throw anything he's used to being able to throw and the referee chastising him over and over again taking away an absurd amount of points....he still comes out and chops the living fuck out of Rufus' legs for a leg KO win.......Awesome stuff!

TTT for an awesome fight. So biased against the Nak Muay in every way but he still won! Credit to Rufus for getting in there and fighting when no one really knew about Muay Thai. He didn't know what to expect or how to counter/defend.

Sultan, actually the commentator admitted they didn't mention throws in the rules meeting so it wasn't illegal, he actually disagreed with the 3 point deduction but still being biased he wasn't too outraged as it benefited Rick.

Pilot201 - Sultan, actually the commentator admitted they didn't mention throws in the rules meeting so it wasn't illegal, he actually disagreed with the 3 point deduction but still being biased he wasn't too outraged as it benefited Rick.
oh ok....

I find that thai fighter's poise to be admirable in this fight despite how biased the crowd and the ref was.