Video: Rumina Sato at Canadian Jiu Jitsu Open 1998

Great vid, but I'm surprised that he had so many opponents back then.

Rumina was the man. One of my all-time favorites. The story behind his appearance at the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Open is especially interesting.

In the late-90's Rumina was on a TEAR. Back then being a BJJ black belt was equivalent to being unbeatable, but Sato was one of the first non-BJJers to tap a black belt (Ricardo Bothello). However, he faced John Lewis in 1996 and got worked. Sato's eye was swollen shut from Lewis pounding the hell outta him in the guard. The next year they had a rematch and Rumina subbed him. Rumina was tapping everyone right and left and looked unstoppable.

Later in 1998, he faced a Canadian (one of Carlos Newton's training partners, IIRC) named Joel Gerson. Rumina was showing improved stand-up and beating Gerson from pillar to post. Once it hit the ground, Gerson hit Rumina with an armbar from outta the blue and the match was over.

For whatever reason, Rumina couldn't get a rematch in Japan, so he made the trip all the way to Canada to challenge Gerson. In order to face Gerson, both of them had to make it to the finals of the tournament. You can see Sato whipping everyone because the man was on a mission. The match with Gerson is at the 4:40 mark in this video (the other two matches are from the absolute division, I believe...)

Rumina's biggest career setbacks were against Andre Pedenairas (who hit crazy set up for the KO soccer kick by slapping his own legs) and his two matches with Caol Uno.

Rumina would go on to shine after those two matches, but IMHO, he was never the same again. Nonetheless, Sato is always a treat to watch and he'll always be one of the unsung greats in this sport.

fos

Will always be one of my favorite fighters...and always under appreciated.

5 o clock shadow - Rumina was the man. One of my all-time favorites. The story behind his appearance at the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Open is especially interesting.

In the late-90's Rumina was on a TEAR. Back then being a BJJ black belt was equivalent to being unbeatable, but Sato was one of the first non-BJJers to tap a black belt (Ricardo Bothello). However, he faced John Lewis in 1996 and got worked. Sato's eye was swollen shut from Lewis pounding the hell outta him in the guard. The next year they had a rematch and Rumina subbed him. Rumina was tapping everyone right and left and looked unstoppable.

Later in 1998, he faced a Canadian (one of Carlos Newton's training partners, IIRC) named Joel Gerson. Rumina was showing improved stand-up and beating Gerson from pillar to post. Once it hit the ground, Gerson hit Rumina with an armbar from outta the blue and the match was over.

For whatever reason, Rumina couldn't get a rematch in Japan, so he made the trip all the way to Canada to challenge Gerson. In order to face Gerson, both of them had to make it to the finals of the tournament. You can see Sato whipping everyone because the man was on a mission. The match with Gerson is at the 4:40 mark in this video (the other two matches are from the absolute division, I believe...)

Rumina's biggest career setbacks were against Andre Pedenairas (who hit crazy set up for the KO soccer kick by slapping his own legs) and his two matches with Caol Uno.

Rumina would go on to shine after those two matches, but IMHO, he was never the same again. Nonetheless, Sato is always a treat to watch and he'll always be one of the unsung greats in this sport.

fos
 Thank you sir, great post

I still consider Satos loss to Gerson, one of the biggest upsets ever

Man I love that style of grappling. The Shooto guys were always rad to watch in sub tournaments. Constantly going for subs.

great vid and a great FOS sighting

Rumina will always be legendary Phone Post

All the TUF Noobs and Teenage Fanboys will hype people like Scambo but never know of a LEGEND like Sato.

great footage, ive got that rumina sato 10 year anniversary dvd set and its so much fun to watch. old school shooto FTW

Absolute classic - this and the Genki in Westside tourney are still 2 of my fave grappling vids

Thanks for info FOS!

Great vid and great post 5OS! Makes me feel all old school and fuzzy inside.

What is that sub at the 1:25 mark? Lookes like he is just stretching him out but the Ref is blocking the view.

Sato is a Legend for sure and will always be one of my top three mma favorites...huge fan of the Shooto style

Just wondering does anyone know the event (i think in Canada aswell) where Sato went up against Marcio Feitosa and lost (I think)....This was around the same time as this video or maybe a little bit earlier? Never seen a video on it either

I was there , he pretty much went to avenge a loss in shooto to Joel gereshon sp, frank shamrock was there , he thought it was a joke that he was there. The cool thing was watching a young mark Bocek destroy olderguys like nothing Phone Post

Slysir09 - Sato is a Legend for sure and will always be one of my top three mma favorites...huge fan of the Shooto style

Just wondering does anyone know the event (i think in Canada aswell) where Sato went up against Marcio Feitosa and lost (I think)....This was around the same time as this video or maybe a little bit earlier? Never seen a video on it either

That was the event , moni put it on , newton was there as well , he challenged him to an mma match right after Phone Post

posts like this keep me coming back. There's no way to truly recapture the thrill that the mid to late nineties fight sports gave, the way the sport has softened even as the skills have gotten better. Threads like this bring back great memories.

Great example of a CACC wrestler in competition.

If you're trying to claim him for catch in the American sense, that's not his style at all

I picked up some technique from that that I ended up teaching, but I forget what it was/