Video: Rumina Sato at Canadian Jiu Jitsu Open 1998

I don't suppose that's where the flying armbar in the Fighter's Notebook came from...?

Rumina vs Imanari

^ Great match while it lasted!

5 o clock shadow - Rumina was the man. One of my all-time favorites. The story behind his appearance at the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Open is especially interesting.

In the late-90's Rumina was on a TEAR. Back then being a BJJ black belt was equivalent to being unbeatable, but Sato was one of the first non-BJJers to tap a black belt (Ricardo Bothello). However, he faced John Lewis in 1996 and got worked. Sato's eye was swollen shut from Lewis pounding the hell outta him in the guard. The next year they had a rematch and Rumina subbed him. Rumina was tapping everyone right and left and looked unstoppable.

Later in 1998, he faced a Canadian (one of Carlos Newton's training partners, IIRC) named Joel Gerson. Rumina was showing improved stand-up and beating Gerson from pillar to post. Once it hit the ground, Gerson hit Rumina with an armbar from outta the blue and the match was over.

For whatever reason, Rumina couldn't get a rematch in Japan, so he made the trip all the way to Canada to challenge Gerson. In order to face Gerson, both of them had to make it to the finals of the tournament. You can see Sato whipping everyone because the man was on a mission. The match with Gerson is at the 4:40 mark in this video (the other two matches are from the absolute division, I believe...)

Rumina's biggest career setbacks were against Andre Pedenairas (who hit crazy set up for the KO soccer kick by slapping his own legs) and his two matches with Caol Uno.

Rumina would go on to shine after those two matches, but IMHO, he was never the same again. Nonetheless, Sato is always a treat to watch and he'll always be one of the unsung greats in this sport.

fos

Kinda reminds me of Carlos Newton in that both were crazy talented submission guys who were also crazy athletic but never really developed the other areas of their games.

As far as unsung, i think amongst those who were following at the time, everyone knows how great he was....just that there arent that many of us still around that were following back then.

That clip of him doing the flying armlock in Shooto is still one of the most ubiquitous.

Sato also didnt do that well at ADCC, he like Imanari, often lost to positionally sound BJJ guys. However, he did tear up a lotta BJJ guys in MMA back in his day too.

He attended a UFC or 2 back in the day, one of the ones where Jens Pulver was commentating.

Not sure why he is still fighting today though, he must really love the game?

"Sato also didnt do that well at ADCC, he like Imanari, often lost to positionally sound BJJ guys. However, he did tear up a lotta BJJ guys in MMA back in his day too."

Yea, i was really surprised at his performance in the ADCC and how good Sakurai did.....

^ Sato only fought in ADCC twice and in all fairness did pretty well. He faced Ribriro who was considered one of the best jiu jitsu practitioners in the world at his weight and Tito who outweighed him by probably 50lbs 

I was a huge fan of Sato and some of the old Shooto guys.

Unfortunately, their fast and loose style, although fun to watch when they were beating guys that weren't nearly as good as tended to get shut down when they faced pressure/position people who could stop them from moving. Turns out that their defense wasn't too good when they got the screws put to them.

Uno's defense, however, amazed me in his match with Sato... who i was sure was going to beat him... when he got out of like 5 or 6 chokes and then beat sato.

Till this day, i use what i learned from watching that match to defend the RNC.

oh.. and Sato flying armbarring that Charles Taylor kid was epic.

Pro Ice -  ^ Sato only fought in ADCC twice and in all fairness did pretty well. He faced Ribriro who was considered one of the best jiu jitsu practitioners in the world at his weight and Tito who outweighed him by probably 50lbs 

Oh, so only that one year then? And did he lost to Shaolin?

Slysir09 - "Sato also didnt do that well at ADCC, he like Imanari, often lost to positionally sound BJJ guys. However, he did tear up a lotta BJJ guys in MMA back in his day too."

Yea, i was really surprised at his performance in the ADCC and how good Sakurai did.....

Not sure how far Sato advanced, Sakurai went to finals or semi-finals and lost to Jean Jacque, who no one was beating back then.

Sakurai also went on to tap Ricco in the Open Weight with a leg lock, similar to Marcelo/Ricco....it was a controversial tap though, Sakurai vs Ricco and ive seen but to me it wasnt conclusive imo as far as i can recall.

Wasa-B - 
Pro Ice -  ^ Sato only fought in ADCC twice and in all fairness did pretty well. He faced Ribriro who was considered one of the best jiu jitsu practitioners in the world at his weight and Tito who outweighed him by probably 50lbs 

Oh, so only that one year then? And did he lost to Shaolin?

Yeah 2000 I believe just the matches with Tito and Ribeiro

Shaolin did win on points but iirc he didn't do much, couple takedowns, just controlled top, i think sato went for more sub attempts but lost because of the t/d's

I'll try to find the match and post the link 

Rumina Sato at Canadian Jiu Jitsu Open 1998  (complete)

^ Video includes every Sato match from the tournament

awesome - thanks for posting

which one is gerson?

Here's the Sato Gerson match Wasa-B

Rumina Sato vs Joel Gerson - Canadian JJ Championships (1998)

sick, you the man PI

k, thats who i thought it may be its in the clips, gerson gave away his back from a arm throw/ippon seoi attempt.

what is gerson up to now? he got his BJJ BB? was training with newton back then i think?