Videotaping your training

Started videotaping the sunday training we do. Man, sometimes you feel like the sparring is so action packed and fast, then you see it on video and it looks like you're moving underwater. Depressing.

I'm hoping to compare yesterday's footage with the footage Ill take 3 months from now (before the Pan Ams) and see some improvement.

I believe video taping to be a great tool for BJJ improvement. I'm a visual learner.

Andre you said: "Man, sometimes you feel like the sparring is so action packed and fast, then you see it on video and it looks like you're moving underwater. Depressing."

I know what you're talking about!

I think it mainly comes from you not being use to seeing yourself on film/video. We never see ourselves as we appear to others, even when you look at yourself in the mirror you still don't "see" yourself like others see you. You have your own "perception" of yourself (good or bad) and this perception is going to mess you up when you compare it to what you "see" of yourself from a third person perspective.

I absolutely hate looking at myself in video/film. But I just have to get over how I "appear" to myself and concentrate on what I'm doing in the film (good or bad) so that I can learn from it.

Good post, mg!

Yes rolling looks very different from the way it feels.  BJJ is really the kind of thing you have to feel in person to respect.  It just doesn't look all that impressive from the outside, especially during normal training. 

Yeha it's weird, my first tournament that i had videotaped and looked at, i was sooo disappointed, i felt so smooth in what i did, and the video looked awkward as hell. My friends and training partners said it was BS but i could tell it looked really awkward. On the flipside i was happy when i saw a video 8 months later and didn't see the same level of awkwardness :) Wish i had a camcorder to do this.

I record stuff occasionally. I still have my first comp video from 8 weeks of training. OMG it's tragic....

ttt