Vince Booking Strategy On Using Roman Reigns

Vince McMahon has always used the present top WWE superstars to beat the older generation superstars and pass the torch to crown a new “Guy”.

Usually it’s always was one new star beating an older top star and that new wrestler would go on to main event the big shows. We saw this numerous times in WWE, below are a few examples.

Hulk Hogan beats Andre The Giant

Ultimate Warrior beats Hulk Hogan

Shawn Michaels beats Bret Hart

Stone Cold beats Shawn Michaels

Undertaker beats Shawn Michaels

The Rock beats Stone Cold

Cena beats The Rock

Brock Lesnar beats Undertaker

We can get more deeper than that but that’s is overall Vince McMahon’s thinking. But with Roman Reigns he is truly headed to uncharted territory.

You see your “Tribal Chief” has beaten more WWE legends than any other superstars before him. From The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar to Triple h and John Cena and almost The Rock this year but due to rescheduling it could be Edge in that spot. We recently reported on the WrestleMania 37 booking (read below) and there seems to be a pattern in how Roman Reigns is being built to destroy literally everyone.

Vince McMahon knows he has to stop relying on past stars and according to internal sources Roman Reigns will remain being booked strong and given a WWE Championship run not seen unlike any other. A new “Legend Killer” if you will that will dominate the WWE Universe for the next few years.

Roman vs Edge will be another example of this booking situation as Vince McMahon spent countless years and money trying to get Roman Reign to the level he is at now. With the help of the genius mastermind Paul Heyman the sky is literally the limit for this alliance.

If we were a professional wrestler we would not want to in any match with Roman Reigns because it automatically signals you are losing. Vince McMahon wants to keep the golden egg secure to carry the WWE banner and nothing will stop Vince McMahon on his mission to make Roman Reigns quite possibly to most dominating WWE SuperStar ever no matter how many past legends he has to feed to him.

What Roman Reigns & Paul Heyman are doing is absolutely magic and it is something all wrestling fans should appreciate.

It'd be retarded for The Rock to wrestle him this year anyway. Roman is still building himself up as a heel. When that match happens, it needs to be on a more even level in terms of character development for Roman. It'd be quite nice for Vince to keep the world title on someone for a long period of time again, because that always added prestige - I felt.

If Roman vs rock is really the plan somewhere down the road, maybe next years Mania, then Roman should just stay champion all the way until then. 

I'm surprised how much they had Uso interfere to help Roman if they want him being a monster heel.

QTyp -

I'm surprised how much they had Uso interfere to help Roman if they want him being a monster heel.

Thats part of being a heel though surly. HHH never would have won so much without Dx, Flair with the Horsemen, Taker the Ministry, Dibiase without Virgil. Faces win clean, Heels crush cans but not their rivals. The mountain needs to be insurmountable.

Just my take though

1 Like

In regards to interference, that is the difference between a cowardly heel and monster heel. The latter should not need help to win. 

1 Like

I think Roman's latest run is great but even after seving up legend after legend to get him over he still hasn't reached their level of popularity. I honestly believe if the WWE pushes Drew the same way with legend after legend for him that he will eventually surpass Roman as "the guy" for WWE. 

You can't have Edge win the title in an empty arena, the fans need to witness that

Dravenlives -

You can't have Edge win the title in an empty arena, the fans need to witness that

There will be fans at mania... at least 20,000 I think 

1 Like
MarcusAurelioFan - 

It'd be retarded for The Rock to wrestle him this year anyway. Roman is still building himself up as a heel. When that match happens, it needs to be on a more even level in terms of character development for Roman. It'd be quite nice for Vince to keep the world title on someone for a long period of time again, because that always added prestige - I felt.

Minus that couple week trade with Orton, Drew has been champ since last year’s Mania.

Brock held the belt for roughly a year & a half.

Bayley was champ for over a year.

Im not a Roman hatet at all the guy has been in some really good matches but i just tiered of seeing him in the main event of mania year after year , im tired of seeing the older guys coming back at rumble and going for a title shot . Theres a list of guys in WWE That can be huge and WWE wont allow it Aj, Daniel Byan,kevin owens and i honestly feel like BIG E could be a huge star hes done everything possible with the new day let him go heel but a real heal that even other heals hate . And thats your next mainia big E vs roman

RedDragonUK -
QTyp -

Thats part of being a heel though surly. HHH never would have won so much without Dx, Flair with the Horsemen, Taker the Ministry, Dibiase without Virgil. Faces win clean, Heels crush cans but not their rivals. The mountain needs to be insurmountable.

Just my take though

I agree with this

Its rare to see a strong heel champ with a long reign

You may say Brock but he was more of a special attraction Champion 

Yoko had a good reign as a strong heel but even he had Fuji etc 

I feel like Roman will be booked more like hhh 

Wiggy -
MarcusAurelioFan - 

Minus that couple week trade with Orton, Drew has been champ since last year’s Mania.

Brock held the belt for roughly a year & a half.

Bayley was champ for over a year.

no kidding? yikes… point made.

I think Drew has no charisma that can be found. Not in even having the right size, a sword, an actual background of being a good human being… he has everything but ‘it’ which is that intangible personality trait to being the next level.

Roman has a better look and more charisma. When he first was in the business as The Shield’s silent big guy, he was over big. They basically fucked up and had him cut stupid promos, exploited his health situation so THAT made fans not even want to boo him, and finally when he did turn heel… you could tell Vince had no confidence because he put Paul Heyman with him.

1 Like
Dugs95 -
Dravenlives -

There will be fans at mania... at least 20,000 I think 

Thats a wild prediction

Drew has the look, the talent, the love for the sport but just lacks "it". 

He is worthy of main event matches, but will never reach the Roman/Cena/Lesnar/punk/Bryan level of stardom that the others have in the past 10-15 years. 

Have you watched his stone cold interview? Nice guy but just a big nerd and keeps saying how great it is to finally be able to let his personality out, which is ironic because he doesn't have one. 

Having said all that, I fully marked out when he claymored Brock out of the rumble last year. 

1 Like
RobMcKenzie -

He is worthy of main event matches, but will never reach the Roman/Cena/Lesnar/punk/Bryan level of stardom that the others have in the past 10-15 years. 

Have you watched his stone cold interview? Nice guy but just a big nerd and keeps saying how great it is to finally be able to let his personality out, which is ironic because he doesn't have one. 

Having said all that, I fully marked out when he claymored Brock out of the rumble last year. 

From.the snippets ive seen I fully agree about mcyntyre. From their pov he is probably reliable, dependable, and main event worthy "enough" to fill that spot. His charisma sucks ass. Bret and benoit had more.

If we talk about charisma who had it in the last twenty years other than Cena that they put the title on?

Orton not really but old guard

Roman not really

Shinske but language barrier

Brock not so much

The Fiend no but Bray did

Edge old guard

Kofi not really 

Alberto Del Rio psychopath 

Vince doesnt want a charismatic champion with their own personality, he wants a big unbreakable robot who will remember lines like an actor and be good looking enough to sell merchandise. Thats the sad fact of it all. Gone are the days of brass ring grabbing and cutting your own promos

Undertaker beating Shawn was not passing onto a new generation lol. It was just a match between two huge stars and Taker had already had the title a few times. Hogan and another run around WM13 I think.

RobMcKenzie -

Roman hasn't reached that "stardom" you speak of. He has a chance now that he is a heel, when he turns later, but he can't be saying shit like sufferin' succotash.

RedDragonUK -

If we talk about charisma who had it in the last twenty years other than Cena that they put the title on?

Orton not really but old guard

Roman not really

Shinske but language barrier

Brock not so much

The Fiend no but Bray did

Edge old guard

Kofi not really 

Alberto Del Rio psychopath 

Vince doesnt want a charismatic champion with their own personality, he wants a big unbreakable robot who will remember lines like an actor and be good looking enough to sell merchandise. Thats the sad fact of it all. Gone are the days of brass ring grabbing and cutting your own promos

That last bit is actually really perceptive.

I think vince THINKS he still wants a charismatic champion like in the old days, and that's what he frets over daily when thinking about his current crop of guys. However his ACTIONS are 100% what you wrote. None of his actions are conducive to acquiring A charismatic star and hes blind to it. The wwe system no longer allows for it. Too many safety nets from billion dollar financial guarantees, scripts, writers, and on and on.

Business vince killed promoter(creative) vince.