Vitamins/supplements for men over 40?

Wiser minds is something that's popping up on my Facebook. Don't know anything about this shit or what is and isn't a scam. You older fellers taking anything to keep from turning into a weak and crotchety mush brain?

I used to take a multi...now its just Vitamin D....but if you take that you need K. Fish oil. I also take a C and ZMA. 

Just get a quality multivitamin from a quality brand like pure encapsulations.  If it doesnt have at least 2,000iu of D3 then add it, up to 5,000iu/day total depending on how much you're outside in the sun(ideally just get a blood test so you know where your levels are). 

I'd add coenzyme q10 or the reduced form called ubiquonol. If you're pissing all night, try saw palmetto. If you have chronic joint pain, try curcumin.  That's pretty much it unless you like trying a bunch of random shit that will likely have no effect. 

1 Like

Steak.  And Chicken. 

1 Like

L-Citrulline fixed my boner issues. 

2 Likes

I have a good secluded spot near the river that I'll lay out naked at for an hr or so a few times a week. My vitamin D should be good but I'll get it looked into. I do get up once, maaaaybe twice a night to piss. I drink a good amount of water and just turned 41 the other day.

Floppy Divac -

I have a good secluded spot near the river that I'll lay out naked at for an hr or so a few times a week. My vitamin D should be good but I'll get it looked into. I do get up once, maaaaybe twice a night to piss. I drink a good amount of water and just turned 41 the other day.

You're almost certainly good on vitamin D if you're laying out naked a few times a week. If your full body is getting that much sun you should be making a shitload of it.

Supplements are always secondary to nutrition and exercise

1 Like

I am an “older fellow” as you say. 59 to be specific.

I eat a proper, mostly natural diet, and take zero supplements.

Exercising and staying in great shape, as well as eating somewhat correctly, will always beat a pill. Always.

I hike daily. That and proper food are enough for me.

2 Likes

I'm still working on the diet. I'm eating pretty healthy these days; but not enough variance, and I know I need more veggies.

Keep it simple. Multi, vit d, protein for recovery, creatine (good for cognition too), fish oil, now with the pandemic id add some immune stuff like vit c, zinc, mushroom immune supplement like shroom tech.

1000 mg C, D3 2000IU (up to 4000 is OK), iron-free Multi, Krill Oil, Metformin.

Dangerousdoug - Keep it simple. Multi, vit d, protein for recovery, creatine (good for cognition too), fish oil, now with the pandemic id add some immune stuff like vit c, zinc, mushroom immune supplement like shroom tech.

Says to keep it simple…then lists a bunch of shit. WTF?

Eat right and exercise. The end.

3 Likes
Floppy Divac -

I'm still working on the diet. I'm eating pretty healthy these days; but not enough variance, and I know I need more veggies.

Just eat real food, stuff without an ingredients label. If you're not interested in a specific athletic goal you don't really need to get more complicated than that. Meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, rice, beans, nuts and seeds, salt and pepper and spices.  Infinite recipes possible, just stick to stuff that exists in the real world.

Cutting out all drinks except water is also huge.  And get rid of booze and use weed on occasion instead if you want. Alcohol is literally poison, terrible for your body.

GFA -

L-Citrulline fixed my boner issues. 

My chick leaving for the day fixes mine....

2 Likes

I get by ok on beer and whiskey

Floppy Divac -

How much veggies are you getting? The closest thing to a universal proven truth in nutritional science is that more veggies = less disease and lower all cause mortality. Nothing else has been replicated as reliably and as many times. 

Increasing vegetable intake is goal #1 of eating healthier. If you aren't eating at least 1 pound of veggies a day you aren't eating healthy. I try to aim for 2 pounds as that is what studies show is largest benefit and after 2 pounds there doesn't seem to be much if any additional benefit. But even going from none or negligible amount to 1 pound is massive benefit. 

Jayn200 -
Floppy Divac -

How much veggies are you getting? The closest thing to a universal proven truth in nutritional science is that more veggies = less disease and lower all cause mortality. Nothing else has been replicated as reliably and as many times. 

Increasing vegetable intake is goal #1 of eating healthier. If you aren't eating at least 1 pound of veggies a day you aren't eating healthy. I try to aim for 2 pounds as that is what studies show is largest benefit and after 2 pounds there doesn't seem to be much if any additional benefit. But even going from none or negligible amount to 1 pound is massive benefit. 

Don’t listen to this shit OP - you don’t need veggies when you can just eat 4lbs of ribeye every day 

For the guys taking Vit D. Don't you have to pretty much take Mag and Vit K? 

The Closed Guard - 

For the guys taking Vit D. Don't you have to pretty much take Mag and Vit K? 

Take vit d, take a multi, take a fish oil. those are the basics. add protein and creatine if u lift. add something for immune health given the current situation like zinc, vit c.

Now over 40, aging male, add some saw palmetto for prostate. but ideally, get you blood tested and see what vitamins and minerals you are deficient in and supplement. but, as previously state,d you cant go wrong with vit d, multi and fish oil. Id also look into a male virility supplement for libido as well such as maca, tribulus or horny goat.

now for joint health, if u have issues, glucosamine and tumeric especially i really like.

what specific issues do u want to fix/improve with supplementation?