Volkman on Administrative Leave for Obama Joke...

Jacob owns his own chiropractic practise and coaches part time. He told me the reason he got the job at the local HS was to get referrals and so he could one day coach his kids when they were old enough, so he probably won't be that upset if he loses the job.

That being said, I'm pretty sure freedom of speech prohibits being fired or suspended for something as innocent as this. At least it does here in Canada.

Mike Russell -  Jacob owns his own chiropractic practise and coaches part time. He told me the reason he got the job at the local HS was to get referrals and so he could one day coach his kids when they were old enough, so he probably won't be that upset if he loses the job.

That being said, I'm pretty sure freedom of speech prohibits being fired or suspended for something as innocent as this. At least it does here in Canada. 

there is a difference between freedom of speech and exception from consequences.

It might be freedom of speech but it was a pretty horrible comment. IMO I think someone would get the same amount of heat regardless of politics.

Mike Russell -  Jacob owns his own chiropractic practise and coaches part time. He told me the reason he got the job at the local HS was to get referrals and so he could one day coach his kids when they were old enough, so he probably won't be that upset if he loses the job.

The concept of protected speech has to do with the goverment not being able to lock you up because of anything that you say. There are of course exceptions (i.e. yelling "fire" in a crowded theater or making overt threats of violence). The first amendment does not prohibit employers from firing/suspending employees who are in the habit of embarrassing themselves in public.

FYI in most states in the US, employees can be fired without cause unless they have a contract that provides explicit terms for their termination.

so much for freedom of speech.

so much for freedom of speech.

oh shit he does work with kids??

I was saying before he had a Sandusky vibe to him
I'm getting more and more sure

If you look into it
I bet anything that dude showers with the boys

Vitor29 - 
Phisher -
JeffersonDArcyChoke -  Administrative leave?

How many were put on leave for calling Bush worse or implying worse?

I hated the joke, don't care about him or his politics but this punishment is too harsh. Phone Post

Oh fuck off with this shit. You're not seriously going to sit here and insinuate that nobody ever took any heat for talking shit about Bush in public when was in office, are you? As a refresher, we can start off with The Dixie Chicks. Bush/Cheney wouldn't let people who were wearing political t-shirts that they didn't like get within 1000 feet of them when they made public appearances much less make threats of violence under the guise of bad jokes. You must have been living somewhere other than the US between 2001 and 2008 to make this claim earnestly.    

Dixie chicks weren't placed on leave from their job, they were boycotted by people who disagreed with them. Immense difference. Phone Post

The Dixie Chicks had tour dates and appearances canceled, their songs taken out of rotation on radio stations and their albums pulled off shelves in stores. They were are also being threatened by a bunch of yokels and yahoos. You're not seriously claiming that Volkmann is being treated worse than they were are you?

I agree that there is an immense difference between the example that I cited and what Volkmann has been doing. Volkmann has now made multiple comments in public about physically assaulting the President. The Dixie Chick shitstorm kicked off when Natalie Maines said that she was embarrassed that Bush was from Texas. The latter isn't even in the same ballpark as the former.    

ano8tsixxx - so much for freedom of speech.

You seem confused. There are limits to 'speech'.  Like 'fire fire !' in a crowded theater. Or any threat to the President. Like it or not, the rules are in place for a reason.

lol about chiropractic 'Doctors' . Just my personal opinion.  Wouldn't go to one (again).

Deleted post & quote.  Don't post it again, anyone. Thank you.

he's free to say what he wants. That does not preclude anyone associated with him from distancing themselves from him. His position as a coach gives him access to minors. His erratic behavior has forced superintendents at that school district to remove him from the position.

This should have been expected.

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -  Deleted post & quote.  Don't post it again, anyone. Thank you.

Thank you sir.

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -  Deleted post & quote.  Don't post it again, anyone. Thank you.

oh must have been my post that was deleted

am I allowed to say Volkman comes off like a creep who shouldn't be in charge of young children?

Finally. An American acting like an American.

+1 Dana

Most people don't realize Freedom of Speech does not cover what you say while working and representing your employer, client or contractor. It only covers what you say in your private time.

Questioning the motives or policies of a President are fine. But calling a President, even a Black one, out of name, threatening his well being, off-color jokes - not so fine.

Using your employer or contractor's public venue - an international one, no less - as a platform to disparage any world leader is not a good idea.

Everyone knows my opinion, a man that calls his President, even a Reagan or a Bush, out of name on International Television is a traitor to his country. I assume his admin leave is meant to appease people like me. But I won't be happy until I get assurances that he won't ever do it again. Ever.

I hear what you are saying but freedom of speech is more of a freedom of expression. I do not have to listen to you talk in my establishment, and I have the right to set the values I would like my employees, or contractors to align with, as well as my hiring policies.

The UFC has the right to fire people who do not align with their values, part-ways with partners/sponsors who do not share their views, or cut-off independent contractors for the same reason. No one arrested voklmann or black-balled him; Volkmann exercised his freedom of expression and then in tern so did the UFC.

If I came to your place and started mouthing off you would ask me to leave, could I then cry about freedom of speech? No but if you had me arrested for saying GWB was a bastard I would have a case because I cant have my liberty taken from me for my views. His liberty is in tact his career is damaged, two different things.

Volkmann chose his words and did exactly what he wanted to do, its a shame he had the wrong idea as to how people would react but thems the breaks. I for one hope this shuts these guys up about their politics, because I would rather watch them fight, and break each other's balls.

His delivery for that joke was pitiful Phone Post

Good, the octagon is not the place to spew politics regardless of if i (or you) agree with him. He needs to learn to stfu. Phone Post

The dude is a fucking moron. Whether you agree with his opinion or not he is being asked questions on his vocation not his opinion on politics.
He is representing MMA as a whole and his behaviour reflects.
The mere fact that he hijacked the interview to spit his shit shows bad judgement.
When you hear the stereotype of MMA fighters being morons, this is where it comes from. Phone Post