Volkov: Proper 12 is like Jack Daniels and Jameson

forumnewb - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Flexo - 
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
lamedroid -

Jack Daniels is not whisky plus tastes completely different from Jameson.

Bad analyis 

How the fuck is Jack Daniel's not whiskey? Lol

It says Tennesse Whiskey right on the bottle lol. Which is a type of whiskey, like scotch, bourbon, malt etc. Whiskey is like sparkling wine, it's named after wherever it's from. Eg. Champagne 

Correct which makes it a Kentucky Bourbon.

From Jack Daniel’s official website

Jack Daniel’s is not a bourbon - it’s a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel’s is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for maturing. This special process gives Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness.

Whatever bro, that’s a marketing ploy. lamedroid is right though, Jack and Jameson taste completely different.

Siciliano di Brooklyn -
forumnewb - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Flexo - 
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
lamedroid -

Bad analyis 

It says Tennesse Whiskey right on the bottle lol. Which is a type of whiskey, like scotch, bourbon, malt etc. Whiskey is like sparkling wine, it's named after wherever it's from. Eg. Champagne 

Jack Daniel’s is not a bourbon - it’s a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel’s is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for maturing. This special process gives Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness.

Whatever bro, that’s a marketing ploy. lamedroid is right though, Jack and Jameson taste completely different.

Lol you just can’t accept how wrong you are, eh? Either way, they’re both shit whiskeys, however they sell well.

1 Like
Captain Canuck - 

1 Like

For anyone confused, Volkov didn't critique the liquor. He simply stated it tasted ordinary.

forumnewb -
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Flexo - 
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
lamedroid -

Bad analyis 

And it also tastes nothing like your traditional bourbon. You know you’re drinking Tennesse whiskey when you drink it, like you know your drinking Irish whiskey when you drink Jameson. 

multiculturaljoseph -
sureshock -

Lol what do Russians know about whiskey. He should stick to vodka and accept Ngannous callout. 

I don’t think nationality matters when stating cheap liquor is cheap. Everyone knows proper12 is cheap shit. Not like he’s going against the grain and praising it or anything.

I’ve had a fair bit of whisky over the years. Proper twelve isn’t going to win any legitimate critics over (not was it designed to) but as far as a smooth tasting, easy to drink, low priced whisky goes… it shits all over anything else near it’s price point. At least for me. 

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide -
multiculturaljoseph -
sureshock -

Lol what do Russians know about whiskey. He should stick to vodka and accept Ngannous callout. 

I don’t think nationality matters when stating cheap liquor is cheap. Everyone knows proper12 is cheap shit. Not like he’s going against the grain and praising it or anything.

I’ve had a fair bit of whisky over the years. Proper twelve isn’t going to win any legitimate critics over (not was it designed to) but as far as a smooth tasting, easy to drink, low priced whisky goes… it shits all over anything else near it’s price point. At least for me. 

I don’t know what it’s price point in the West but here in Mother Russia it’s two to three times more expensive than Jameson

lamedroid -

Bad analyis 

It is whisky & he didn't say it tasted similar to either of those. Go get some specks on!

Siciliano di Brooklyn -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite - 
lamedroid -

Bad analyis 

Because it’s fuckin bourbon!

Its not bourbon it’s sour mash. I am from Tennessee, it’s amazing anyone calls it bourbon. 

Mash is used to make bourbon as well, but still different

touch -
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide -
multiculturaljoseph -
sureshock -

I don’t know what it’s price point in the West but here in Mother Russia it’s two to three times more expensive than Jameson

Here in England I can get it for around £5 more than a bottle of Jamesons.

Again, it’s definitely nothing special, but I’d certainly pay the small extra for Proper Twelve.

Obviously it’s all subjective. I’ve had 30+ year renowned single malts before that I absolutely hated. 

JD isn't a bourbon perhaps by choice and for marketing.. I forget all the requirements to be a bourbon, and this is all old recollection at this point. I looked it up and I was wrong about the first difference I'd thought I recalled. I'd thought Tennessee whiskey was sour mash and bourbon wasn't. This seems untrue. The other was charcoal filtering, at least the 'lincoln county process, which apparently is definitional for tennessee whiskey, but isn't used for bourbon. It uses another filtering method

As for JD tasting clearly like a TW, not bourbon, that seems strange to me as they are so very very similar in profile, with many TWs able to call themselves bourbon, but not the reverse. Of course one of my go tos in college was George Dickel which is a TW. Back when my liver was heavily abused, we’d each start the evening before going out with a 1/5th of our choice, and jd was often mine.

You can't have bourbon without whiskey, but you can have whiskey without bourbon.

forumnewb - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Flexo - 
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
lamedroid -

Bad analyis 

I don’t know why I thought it was Kentucky…