Vote: Open hands for street boxing

ttt

if open palm doesnt work id try pinching or scratching

With the trouble that I've been in, open palms are safest. Besides, I've seen a lot of folks KO'ed with an open palm...hell, I've broken a guys jaw in a pancrase match with a back hand. If you generate the correct force and hit with the right parts of your palm, you could bitch slap most street fighters into oblivion.

ok lets say youre scrapping with a cabbage-clone in the street (hard head, decent skills)... you gonna slap him?

"I never said its the same. Read what i wrote carefully. Its the closest you can get unless you engage in streetfights daily. What other options do you have to help you control that adrenalin? Yeah thats what i thought. Also i do find your little remark about me having no streetfights kind of amusing. But i will leave it at that. Im not interested in a dick measuring contest. You would lose guaranted "

No, it is NOT the closest thing you can get.  That is what scenario training is for.  As a certified coach under Tony Blauer, one of things I learned from him is that "everything we do is fake, it's up to us as coaches to make sure we are doing the most realistic 'fake-stuff' possible."  There are lots of scenarios that will stimulate a powerful adrenaline dump far more than sparring (standup or grappling) ever will.  I'm not interested in "dick measuring" either - I know what I've done and been through, what I've learned from it, and really have no interest in trying to make things personal with you.  My time is worth more than a meaningless debate, thank you.

Also, Spidey4Ever is correct - I've seen several guys get dropped from an open-palm strike.

mikelough - there are several ways to jab with an open palm, and YES you can get hurt with a closed-fist jab.  I have a friend who split his knuckles wide open on a guy's teach from jabbing him in a highschool fight (and then got his his had slammed into the lockers when he looked at his hand to see why it hurt so damn bad)

jacktripper - given the density and resilience of Cabbage's head, YES I would slap him - right across the cheekbone/eyesocket.  Just LET someone due that to you sometime - it blinds you worse than a shot to the nose, makes you reflexively flinch in pain, and opens you up to a variety of followups.  A properly delivered slap hurts a hell of a lot worse than a closed fist (although granted a fist does more actual damage).  Can you knock a man down with a slap?  I've seen it happen more than once in open-hand MMA in the early days of the sport.  A slap is best used though as a setup and a smokescreen of sorts to deliver a kick, takedown, or to give you the time to deliver a more precisely placed punched.  Best of all, most guys aren't used to being slapped, so they don't even see it coming, and they are not the easiest thing in the world to block.

I'd love to slap a piss stain into Cabbage's underwear. When you "slap" a person, they tear up pretty easily..leaving room for what? A good ole fashioned snap kick to the nads. Not just that, but slapping can either demorilize a person, taking the fight out of them, or piss them off enough to where they lose control, and if you are trained well enough, you can take advantage of that.

TTT for bitch slaps! Respect my pimp hand!!!

I go to sticktly palm strikes if I hurt a knuckle.

bugger it just elbow the prick lol

that xray above...if your form is poor those small outer knucks will take the brunt...and may not stand up to it...truer with the hook...also punching into an open mouth with teeth can cut up your knuckles too

Boxing is most effective, but not its current form. You must revert to boxing before gloves, when the hand hits verticaly instead of horizontaly. Going back to John L Sullivan's time and before helps with no gloves and keeping your hands from getting broken.

LOL @ using palm strikes in a street fight. It makes your stikes do less damage, makes it 10x as hard to cut the guy and reduces your reach by about a FOOT! Not to mention you look like a fucking sally. More proof that getting fighting advice on here is a baaaaaad idea.

open palm before a punch.......if you think an open palm strike is wimpy or sissy...ask Bas Rutten about his strikes...(go to his site and look in the fight vids...he knocks a guy on his ass for the win using an open palm strike.) open palms confuse the opponent as to where your going and what your doing...he might think your going for a takedown or hold and WHAM padded palm that covers more area that thin skinned nuckle bones.

ever hear of "Iron Palm" techniques

your palm has two strong forearm bones to brace the impact...your fist has cartilege that isn't anywhere near as strong as the bones in your forearm.

thats why I also beleave a lot of people here would throw an elbow before a punch also!

In a real jam you are going to react the way you train, or at least a crude version of it. So for 99% fo us, you are going to react with a fist. Only time I am sure you should use an open hand, is as a doorman, so you can say that you were grabbing the guy.

"it blinds you worse than a shot to the nose, makes you reflexively flinch in pain, and opens you up to a variety of followups"

so you'd think a slap from mike tyson would cause more damage than a straight-right to the snot box? lol...

"slapping can either demorilize a person, taking the fight out of them, or piss them off enough to where they lose control, and if you are trained well enough, you can take advantage of that"

well it sounds like you guys are fighting goofballs in the first place... you assume your gonna slap a dude and he'll start crying and become totally demoralized? ive fought two guys with a broken ankle and a fractured cheekbone and didnt feel a thing (till later)

Jack, nice to see you're still a dumbass. Yes, the guys that I fought open handed were indeed goofballs...Yves, Spratt, Macias, all wimps and goofballs. I'm sure you're like so many other kung-fu experts on here that have had thousands of street fights, so we're nothing to a kiiler like you.

By the by, why quote me if you're not going to listen? The second part explained the OR part to getting slapped...they get angry, which suits me just fine. But again, you've been fighting guys who just shake off broken jaws. Man, maybe one day I'll be a couch fighter just like you.

"Yes, the guys that I fought open handed were indeed goofballs...Yves, Spratt, Macias, all wimps and goofballs"

i repsect those guys but were those the rules of the event? if so thats completely irrelevant...

spidey ive got nothing against you... i just aint buyin it

if someone slaps you in a fight are you going to be taken out of your game? fighting can be dangerous... when your just a sofa warrior like me you have no room for error

Yes, those were the rules in Texas back when I fought them. But, irrevelant as you may think that is, if you train to hit that way, it can be devastating, and I think thats what this thread was all about.

If someone slaps me in a fight, there's probably going to be some drama, but, hello...I'm a pro fighter. I'm used to being punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed, slapped, etc., so obviously I could take it a little bit better than the avarage Joe. After I hit that guy in Texas, cause his fucking eye to pop, if I'm forced to raise my hands again, it'll either be because I have a question, or in the form of a pancrase type slap.