Wagnney Fabiano Interview

Just doin' my part for the Canadian UG!

LOL!

"Lot of people complained about it. Did you use the rules to win?"

Can someone please elaborate?"

I think maybe he's talking about the rule where there are no points scored in the first half of the match, so many guys will just go to guard or another position and just hold onto it for those 5 minutes instead of trying to get different subs, etc. Then after that time is up, and the points start being counted, that's when they will start to go for subs, try different positioning, etc.

What happens in the first 5 minutes of a regular match (the finals is twice as long) is that no offensive points can be scored, so takedoowns and other positions count for nothing. However, you can still recieve minus points for avoiding engagement, passivity, and pulling guard.

So what guys often do is run around for five minutes pretending they want a takedown. Sometimes one guy pretends to want a takedown and the other guy pretends it worked so he doesn't get a minus 1 for going to guard.

The no points in the first half of the match rule was meant to encourage guys to go all out for subs and not worry about points. However, due to the minus 1 for pulling guard still being in effect, and the fact that most compettiors play to the rules this may have backfired. As competitors don't want to waste energy going for a takedown if they don't get points, and they don't want to pull guard because they will get penalized.

"Lot of people complained about it. Did you use the rules to win?"

We all use the rules to win in ever sport we play and the points are made for all to play with. Who ever made this statement was not skilled enough to take Wagnney down or tap him from the guard or flip him from the guard. All of these are part of the rules and large elements of grappling. Wagnney just happens to be blessed with great athletic ability/grappling skill and a knowledge of how to win. Wagnney also has no prejudice towards style or technique he just wants to win. Some grapplers get stuck on using the lastest sweep or gaurd to win matches. Wagnney could care less and will move on to what works in that moment in time.

Imagine Wagnney vs Leo???

Holy Sh!t, I can't wait! I hope that'll be the finals!

-1 should be eliminated from the non-scoring portion. Many of the ADCC matches turn into 10 min. snore fests where no one even goes to the ground, much less gets a submission. If it's a SUBMISSION wrestling championship, the rules should do everything possible to ensure SUBMISSION.

At least pulling guard gets the action onto the mat.

I would be in favor of giving an advantage to the other guy when someone pulls guard, in the scoring portion only. In the first half, they should just play and only award minus ones for stalling or disengaging period. Repeatedly pulling guard only to do nothing would be considered stalling.

I like Kashk rules

Did Bravo get -1 for pulling half-guard?

Wagnney vs. Bravo would be nice!

maybe they should award points only for the first 5....and then allow only subs for the latter?