Waiter Half Guard Scramble Roll Back Take J Scully

Years ago when I first started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and grappling the half guard was considered a neutral or stalling position. Times have certainly changed! Now half guard is one of the most dynamic attacking positions you can play.

There are so many half guard variation that many people play. In this video I'm going to focus on the half guard variation that many people refer to as the "Waiter Half Guard". In my personal opinion this is one of the stronger half guard positions because it really compromises your opponent's balance.

In this video I'll talk about how to create a scramble situation starting form your waiter half guard and then work to take your opponent's back. There's also a bonus calf lock in there as well.  The good thing about this situation is that sometimes your opponent will present you with the scramble opportunity even if you didn't force it to happen.  It's just your responsibility to be ready for it.

Thanks for watching,

Jason Scully 

Awesome.... I love the truck position so this is an excellent entry. I hate that I couldn't make it to your seminar you had at Gentrys in GA Phone Post 3.0

I have family that lives in Georgia close to Gentry's so I'm sure I'll be back. 

I tried this during a roll last night.... I wasn't tight to his hip and lower back with my arm so he turned into me. Phone Post 3.0

I train here at Alliance Hq... Drop in if you ever get the chance Phone Post 3.0

mishto chuckles - I tried this during a roll last night.... I wasn't tight to his hip and lower back with my arm so he turned into me. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, it's important that you get tight to them. That's why I recomend coming up. When you rais your body up then you actually block them pretty well from turning into you.  This is basically what I call a "calculated scramble". So these types of situations aren't like single movements you may see other places. 

I just realized this is the same setup Ryan hall used on Hermes Franca in grapplers quest Phone Post 3.0

Nice!

And I like the term calculated scramble! Phone Post 3.0

This was the subject of a you tube vid called "Ryan Hall - path to the back", but I can't find it anymore

Totally agree it's the Ryan Hall v Franco rolling ninja back take. Phone Post 3.0

Shoot...I thought that I thought this one up. I called it "Pretty Pretty Pony", because that is what I whispered to my training partner after completion.

I like your instruction.

One Thing we've learned is only using the single outside arm to do the calf crush otherwise you can be handing them a simple arm bar Phone Post 3.0

You are the best Phone Post 3.0