Walking in on People Talking About You

I had it happen tonight at work. I try my best to never talk badly, or even at all, behind someone's back. I often have no idea about the workplace gossip because of this. Anyway, it sucks. Let's hear some stories about it happening to you, or hell, about you getting busted while doing it...

FRAT version of mine

I recently earned a promotion that has me managing people that have been with the company for much longer than I have. I got the promotion in place of a guy that is a very hard worker, does his job really well, and has a lot of good leadership qualities. I even said those things in my interview for the position. However, he has a red-type personality, is a sports know-it-all, with a little Asperger's syndrome added. He isn't terrible with colleagues, but there are obvious issues. Anyway, I like the guy, and have always been kind and respectful towards him.

I had a question for our quality control department tonight. I work in pharmaceutical manufacturing, and today we had an error that I should have caught. Another guy caught the error before it became an issue, but he allowed it to continue processing until it became an error. His manager was furious at him, because the mistake was caught, but allowed to continue. The manager gave me the heads-up that it was going to fall on me. Fair enough -- I should have caught the error.

There are levels of errors, and this was a big one that will end up costing several thousand dollars. I have to write a report tomorrow, and was asking the quality associate what else she would need from me. I left the room for a few minutes. I have to enter a security code to enter the quality room, so it beeps and takes a few seconds to enter.

After a few minutes, I returned to the quality office to clarify something. When I opened the door the "quality" girl and the promotionless guy awkwardly stopped talking, and he said, "speak of the devil." I said, "oh yeah, what about?" They both stumbled on their words, then the "quality" girl asserted, "did you need something else?" I asked my question, then left.

In the moment, I was confused as to what was happening. After thinking about it, I started to get bothered. I wish I had asked more, but I didn't.

I have the desire to continue proving myself worthy of my new promotion. This error has me feeling like shit. It also sucks to have people talking about me behind my back. Such is life. Thanks for letting me vent my insecurities like a bitch on Facebook. Phone Post 3.0

I don't stress about people talking behind my back. If it's something bad, they're usually right.

A friend of mine did this once while his phone was on with teh victim listening in on the whole convo. 30 mins of straight shit talk. Idk, who was crazier him or the shit talkee.

a guy i used to know was convinced everyone on the board hated him. he went as far as to put a suitcase in the office with a recorder inside. things didnt go so well.

Ghetto-Top-Team -

I don't stress about people talking behind my back. If it's something bad, they're usually right.

This. If I hear something I laugh it off and tell the person who said it they're right. Then I joke with them "But wait till you hear what they say about you! Har har har" That usually puts them in their place. Phone Post 3.0

NiteProwleR - A friend of mine did this once while his phone was on with teh victim listening in on the whole convo. 30 mins of straight shit talk. Idk, who was crazier him or the shit talkee.

Too funny! I was spending a few days fishing with my dad, and he got a phone call from his office. He is the financial controller for a small oil company and has three assistants. The assistants were having a problem with something, and none of them were able to figure it out. My dad spent about an hour trying to walk through the problem with them, but the ladies still couldn't figure it out. They put my dad on hold so they could call the owner of the company.

While on hold, my dad decided to unload about the assistants and their ineptitude. Out of character for him, he calls them all "dumb bitches" that couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag. He then said, "why did they bother calling Bruce? He's even worse than them. He would have sunk the company years ago if it wasn't for me."

I was shocked that he was talking like that. He's usually just a mild-mannered accountant. Anyway, just as I was thinking this, my dad's face goes white. He said, "Okay. Okay. Bye." He then looked up at me with a stunned look on his face.

He told me that the ladies got back on the phone and said, "Hey, Bruce and we could hear everything you were saying and were sorry you feel that way. We'll let you go." BOOM! I laughed until I cried.

He ended up buying all of the ladies massive bouquets of flowers, gift cards for a few hundred dollars, and spa packages. He also took them out for a big lunch and apologizing profusely. He took his boss out for lunch and did the same thing.

They all ended up forgiving him, and life went on, but the scenario, and how it played out, was amazing.