Want to grill a tri-tip

Looking for some help OG. Want to make a tri tip for tonights fights and the last tri tip I attempted I fucked up big lol. I can't emphasize enough that I am an absolute fucking rookie on the grill. 

I have a classic weber style charcoal grill. ANY tips are appreciated. 

Jake95 -

Looking for some help OG. Want to make a tri tip for tonights fights and the last tri tip I attempted I fucked up big lol. I can't emphasize enough that I am an absolute fucking rookie on the grill. 

Got you bro... about 4lb of kingsford blue bag on one half of the grill, throw a few pieces of oak wood on top (small pieces)  if you have it around... season your tip with a Santa Maria style seasoning and then put it on the side of grill with no coals for 30 min covered(make sure top and bottom flues are wide open or you will fail) open up flip and spray with beer... cover again for another 20-40 depending on size and preferred doneness... tips continue to cook once you pull them and let the rest. For a good medium go 30-30 on about a 3lb Tip. 

Almost forgot the single most important thing about serving proper TriTip (I'm from the land of the Tip and have literally cooked 1000's) ... 

cut in half with the grain and then cut each half cross grain in thin slices! 

Season with salt & pepper. Let sit on the counter until room temp. Light coles and wait until they're all white hot. Grill 4-5 minutes, flip, grill 4-5 minutes. Pull off and cover with foil for a few minutes. Uncover and eat

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

beautiful smoke ring

Better shot of the cutting process ^^^

Ramon Maroni -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

beautiful smoke ring

ThanksRoni 

How about planning on fucking up a few more before putting yourself under unrealistic pressure on Game Night?

Took you like 3 years before you could wrap your head around peeing in a toilet, but you expect to get this perfect on attempt #2?

BarkLikeADog - How about planning on fucking up a few more before putting yourself under unrealistic pressure on Game Night?

Took you like 3 years before you could wrap your head around peeing in a toilet, but you expect to get this perfect on attempt #2?

LOL

"season your tip with a Santa Maria style seasoning" 

Ok and what do you season the steak with? Do you put anything on the shaft?

BarkLikeADog - How about planning on fucking up a few more before putting yourself under unrealistic pressure on Game Night?

Because I watched the fights alone );

If anyone wants to come through for the next fight hit me up! We can put our meat on the grill and do some south american ground karate!

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
Jake95 -

Got you bro... about 4lb of kingsford blue bag on one half of the grill, throw a few pieces of oak wood on top (small pieces)  if you have it around... season your tip with a Santa Maria style seasoning and then put it on the side of grill with no coals for 30 min covered(make sure top and bottom flues are wide open or you will fail) open up flip and spray with beer... cover again for another 20-40 depending on size and preferred doneness... tips continue to cook once you pull them and let the rest. For a good medium go 30-30 on about a 3lb Tip. 

Do I need to oil the grates?

Jake95 -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
Jake95 -

Do I need to oil the grates?

Nope