Want to learn code TME.

Currently a year into working on my degree in nursing, but am having difficulty maintaining interest and fear this might not be what I want to do for the rest of my life. Friend of mine is a web developer and says there are many positions opening up for people that know their stuff. Thoughts? I'm considering going book shopping for this right away. Phone Post

"am having difficulty maintaining interest and fear this might not be what I want to do for the rest of my life"

As opposed to code, which current technology will be antiquated in 5 years or possibly less?

fedoramillionankless - Web dev and database admin are for people who cant cut it as real software developers. Phone Post

Maybe I can't cut it as a software developer? I'm just looking for a good way of getting started learning about this from people who are in the know. Phone Post

learn python the hard way.

Then stack overflow for all your questions.

At least that's what I did and I can't code shit.

S Phone Post

A is b
B is c
C is d
D is e
e is f
F is g
G is h
H is I
I is j
J is k
K is l
L is m
M is n
N is o
O is p
Q is r
R is s
S is t
T is u
U is v
V is w
W is x
X is y
Y is z
Z is a

Opx zpv lopx nz dpef Phone Post

Aw hell. I took all time to type that in the phone and nobody even read it. What a waste Phone Post

mnb - 

Aw hell. I took all time to type that in the phone and nobody even read it. What a waste Phone Post

What does it mean? Besides epilepsy, of course.

SimbaSpice - Currently a year into working on my degree in nursing, but am having difficulty maintaining interest and fear this might not be what I want to do for the rest of my life. Friend of mine is a web developer and says there are many positions opening up for people that know their stuff. Thoughts? I'm considering going book shopping for this right away. Phone Post

Do not stop pursuit of a nursing degree. Get it, then do something of you want. Nursing is a drgree that can be used for SO much shit. Great money too. Quitting would be biggest mistake you will ever.make. Phone Post

dammit. read the part in learn python the hard way where he talks about people who aren't coders who learn to code doing all the cool shit.

BE A FUCKING CODING NURSE.

No you don't, OP. I'm 10 yrs in IT and ready to get the fuck out. It's a constant learning process as things evolve which keeps things fresh but at the same time, you don't get a chance to just fucking breathe.

And there's also zero emotional rewards which there might be in nursing. I can honestly say that directly through my job, I've probably never made one person's life better. Phone Post 3.0

Nursing will always be in demand, web development positions will come and go with the economy

www.codeacademy.com

Perfect for beginners.

Jody - www.codeacademy.com

Perfect for beginners.

Awesome! Thank you!!

Jody - www.codeacademy.com

Perfect for beginners.

^^This^^ I just finished the PHP track, and am currently working on Javascript & Jquery.

That being said, stick with nursing or something similar. Our aging population is getting huge, and they have money. Tech is being outsourced and underpaid a lot of times, and like the poster above said, you have to constantly be learning new skills. If you haven't shown a proclivity towards tech before, why would you now?

sickdarce - Coding jobs all go to countries like India, China and the Philippines. There is shortage of true coders in this country. Good luck Phone Post 3.0

People keep saying this, but is it really borne out by data? I still see tons of job openings for developers. Sure, entry-level devs don't make a killing, but almost always make over $50K, and if you have a few years experience and are a decent Java/C++/C#/Python dev then six figure jobs seem to be the majority.

vtfu for Jody, excellent link

NHBDaddy - vtfu for Jody, excellent link

Agreed. I started it last night.

Are there any benefits to signing up? You can do the lessons without it.

Jody - www.codeacademy.com

Perfect for beginners.

Thank you sir! Phone Post

Sub Phone Post 3.0