Want to Start Lifting TME

Basically, I'm sick of being this sack of shit. I want to get bigger purely for vanity reasons, although I do compete in BJJ, and soon MMA so functional strength would be better.

About me:

6 ft 3"/193cm

145 lb/66KG

22 years old

I've went to the gym a few times, without enthusiasm. This time I'm raring to go, so I want to know how to keep up that enthusiasm. Also, what routine should I be doing? 5x5 squats deadlifts and bench or....?

I don't know what my limits are in terms of strength, so whatever number you have in your head, lower it by up to half.

And how do you organise days? I've heard of leg day, then arm day, core day etc but I don't know how it's organised. I know how to squat and deadlift correctly, I'll probably ask one of the Instructors at the gym though :p

That's the essentials of it. I just hate being this skinny, it's not that I can't fight. I often hammer bigger guys than me in BJJ who are bigger, stronger and a better rank than me (I'm a blue who taps heavier stronger blues). I know there are people out there who have done what I want to do so I know it can be done! Fuck being small!

TME OG, you guys have helped hundreds of people, help me out? I'll post pics of a crazy ex in the next couple of days (:

I'll leave the nutrition to someone more capable than myself, but, generally speaking, you keep up enthusiasm by setting attainable goals for yourself.

After many years of frustration myself, imho, the best thing you can do for your mind is to set out to get the most out of your body. Make that your sole mission. If you just focus on getting big, then you will live and die with every pound. We all hit plateaus and have seasons of success and seasons where we just can't seem to grow. After your will power wears down, you fall off the wagon. Focus on strength goals, focus on making your body the best it can be.

It may be that 10 or 15 pounds is all you need. It may be that getting "big" is actually worse for your body than being slimmer. You never know, so focus on strength, mobility, and your BJJ game while you eat right and hit the gym. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you my friend. Voted up!

You didn't even lift bro? Phone Post 3.0

Saltyballs - 

I'll leave the nutrition to someone more capable than myself, but, generally speaking, you keep up enthusiasm by setting attainable goals for yourself.

After many years of frustration myself, imho, the best thing you can do for your mind is to set out to get the most out of your body. Make that your sole mission. If you just focus on getting big, then you will live and die with every pound. We all hit plateaus and have seasons of success and seasons where we just can't seem to grow. After your will power wears down, you fall off the wagon. Focus on strength goals, focus on making your body the best it can be.

It may be that 10 or 15 pounds is all you need. It may be that getting "big" is actually worse for your body than being slimmer. You never know, so focus on strength, mobility, and your BJJ game while you eat right and hit the gym. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you my friend. Voted up!

Great advice, thanks man, back at ye!

Heel Hooker - Holy Crap. 6'3 145lbs? How do you not go down the drain the shower?
Voted up Phone Post 3.0

http://i.imgur.com/uNN58IE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/h0zwK25.jpg?1

Never realised that Imgur was so easy to use!

Good luck man Phone Post

GnP Sonnen - 

Good luck man Phone Post

Thanks holmes!

There are all different way of getting big.

Basic rule is lift heavy weights to fatigue.

One way is set of 8 reps. Add weight then 6 reps add weight then 4 reps. Remove most of the weight (basically just the bar) and rep out 20 .

You need a heavy weight that you struggle to hit the max number if reps. No point repping out 8 with out struggling.

Take protein before and after. If you wanna get big ass creatine.

Other then that, look for a personal trainer. Phone Post 3.0

Heel Hooker - Holy Crap. 6'3 145lbs? How do you not go down the drain the shower?

I have to hold onto the railing :(

Chadderz - http://i.imgur.com/uNN58IE.jpg

Blue name sort me out?

Chadderz - Basically, I'm sick of being this sack of shit. I want to get bigger purely for vanity reasons, although I do compete in BJJ, and soon MMA so functional strength would be better.

About me:

6 ft 3"/193cm

145 lb/66KG

22 years old

I've went to the gym a few times, without enthusiasm. This time I'm raring to go, so I want to know how to keep up that enthusiasm. Also, what routine should I be doing? 5x5 squats deadlifts and bench or....?

I don't know what my limits are in terms of strength, so whatever number you have in your head, lower it by up to half.

And how do you organise days? I've heard of leg day, then arm day, core day etc but I don't know how it's organised. I know how to squat and deadlift correctly, I'll probably ask one of the Instructors at the gym though :p

That's the essentials of it. I just hate being this skinny, it's not that I can't fight. I often hammer bigger guys than me in BJJ who are bigger, stronger and a better rank than me (I'm a blue who taps heavier stronger blues). I know there are people out there who have done what I want to do so I know it can be done! Fuck being small!

TME OG, you guys have helped hundreds of people, help me out? I'll post pics of a crazy ex in the next couple of days (:
Good luck man. I'm in the same boat trying to get some size to. Just started hitting the gym.I'm 6'3 and lanky as shit lol Phone Post 3.0

first...good luck to you.

at 5' 10" i was 125lbs all through highschool.
at 25y.o. i was 135lbs when i boxed.
i started lifting and got up to 160lbs.
then within a few years when i wanted to fight MMA i went up to 200. (but want to lose about 15 and get down to 185).

in order to bulk up you MUST eat a lot ( but clean ). to gain ~ 1 lb. per week you need to add a minimum of 500 calories a day to your diet.
at least 1 - 1.5 grams per pound of body weight.

in regards to weights...stick with the core exercises (squat, deadlift, bench) and then add some functional exercises that would be beneficial to mma/bjj

SwampRocker - first...good luck to you.

then within a few years when i wanted to fight MMA i went up to 200. (but want to lose about 15 and get down to 185).

in order to bulk up you MUST eat a lot ( but clean ). to gain ~ 1 lb. per week you need to add a minimum of 500 calories a day to your diet.

in regards to weights...stick with the core exercises (squat, deadlift, bench) and then add some functional exercises that would be beneficial to mma/bjj

You sir, sound like a bad-ass!

. Phone Post

Chadderz - 
Chadderz - http://i.imgur.com/uNN58IE.jpg

Blue name sort me out?

Nobody?

Chadderz - 
SwampRocker - first...good luck to you.

You sir, sound like a bad-ass!

not really. :)

but i had goals and knew what i wanted to achieve. so i put in the work.

if you want to do it you can if you put your mind to it.

SwampRocker - 

Good man, VTFU (tomorrow..... If I remember)

I tried just about every bodybuilding routine out there - nothing worked very well until I started lifting more like a powerlifter. Then I gained about 25 lbs in a year and a half and got much stronger. Ironically, I was much less regimented about my diet - I ate a pretty normal, clean diet without counting calories. I think if you get your training right it's much easier to gain.

I'd recommend lifting two days a week, about 3-4 days apart.

Day 1:

Squat
Bench
Standing press
Calf Raise (optional)

Day 2

Deadlift
Chins
Bent Over Row
Hanging Leg Raise

Do 5 sets of 5 for everything except calf raises and hanging leg raises - do 5 sets of 10 for them.

There are different ways to do 5x5. You can do 2-3 warmup sets and 2-3 work sets with your top weight or you can do 4 progressively heavier warmup sets and 1 set with your top weight. Both ways work.

Focus on getting stronger first and foremost and the size will come. Be consistent, sleep a lot and eat a lot of good food and you will make gains. Good luck! Phone Post