Want to write about MMA... TME

I'm thinking about doing a mma blog in my spare time (opinion and interviews, if I can get them), while I'm in school. I've done a little journalism (reviewing bands/albums for the local paper's sister site/print perodical). I've also had some comic stuff published (which is rewarding to my inner child, but is more about passion than pay). All-in-all it's just an excuse to watch copious amounts off mma, go to events, and maybe meet a few of my childhood heroes. I'm in Houston, which I know has a pretty healthy mma scene, but honestly don't know jack about mma on the local level.

Anyway, I'm not looking to make a career of it necessarily, but I was wondering if any of the experienced mma journalists/bloggers had any advice for the new guy.

For example:

Should I even start my own blog - or just put together sample articles for an existing outfit?

Also, for the nonwriter UG faithful:

What do you want to see in a mma journalist? Is there a niche you want to see filled? Phone Post 3.0

There are plenty of sites that will publish articles by amateur writers, and if you can build a following that way, you can shop that success to places that might actually pay you to write.

I do it.

-If you want to start a blog, go the extra $100/yr and make it a website. Blog on there. Then, cover local stuff on there and link to your bigger articles.

Get in touch with the local promotions, be honest with them about your intentions. They want/need the coverage anyway. They'll give you a press pass and you'll have to tap dance for them a little; but we all do it.

Make connections at the local shows. Covering big events is just like a fighter making the jump to the big time. Network. Put out content. Get better with every effort. Do it daily.

also, this site will publish your stuff (for free/nonpayment) if you get something worth covering. So, there's that.

Our advice would be to write about kickboxing instead ;p

GLORY World Series - 

If you wanna talk shop, my mind is open

GLORY World Series -

Haha Phone Post 3.0

I try to post stuff on ug blog but kiriks really busy. Phone Post 3.0

Align yourself with great mentors/editors. I was lucky to work with and for some really supportive ones over the years like Loretta Hunt and Tom Gerbasi and I still count them as friends.

Reach out to writers and editors you admire (privately) on social media. Most people I've dealt with in the business are very accommodating to new writers. We were all where you are once.

Finding paying gigs is tough in today's landscape. I was extremely fortunate. At the very least you might get event credentials and some invaluable experience. Good luck!! Phone Post

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply! I appreciate all your advice and support. I'd much rather do this than finish the boring teaching degree I'm going for.

I've always been more of a fiction guy, but I really would like to tie my passion for the sport and writing together. This is my step one. Step two will be me trying to make a mma comic that doesn't suck. I'm not dropping out of school tommorow, but I will keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Houston has Legacy, which is pretty awesome as far as smaller promotions go. I think I'll follow you guy's general consensus advice of reaching out them (after I have work to show, so I don't just look like a fanboy)

The Houston Chronicle has a "Brawl Sports Blog," which is pretty good. I've done freelance work for the Chronicle's 29-95 site/paper, but never for them directly. That's definitely an avenue I will explore once I have some mma articles in the can. Phone Post 3.0

white - Thanks to everyone that posted a reply! I appreciate all your advice and support. I'd much rather do this than finish the boring teaching degree I'm going for.

I've always been more of a fiction guy, but I really would like to tie my passion for the sport and writing together. This is my step one. Step two will be me trying to make a mma comic that doesn't suck. I'm not dropping out of school tommorow, but I will keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Houston has Legacy, which is pretty awesome as far as smaller promotions go. I think I'll follow you guy's general consensus advice of reaching out them (after I have work to show, so I don't just look like a fanboy)

The Houston Chronicle has a "Brawl Sports Blog," which is pretty good. I've done freelance work for the Chronicle's 29-95 site/paper, but never for them directly. That's definitely an avenue I will explore once I have some mma articles in the can. Phone Post 3.0
Houston does I might hit then up to Phone Post 3.0

Thanks to whoever voted me down. Phone Post

Mike Russell - 

vu because youre a respectable guy. 

Mike Russell - 

same. good advice

Study the posts of Underground Blog, and when you're done study them some more. Redundant source-gathering, misleading headlines, embarrassing typos, and shameless brown-nosing are the waves of good journalism's future.

John M -
Mike Russell - 

same. good advice

I don't get it Phone Post 3.0

Brian Rule - Study the posts of Underground Blog, and when you're done study them some more. Redundant source-gathering, misleading headlines, embarrassing typos, and shameless brown-nosing are the waves of good journalism's future.

the UGblog is notorious amongst freelancers for getting your article hacked up and edited incorrectly. So, I wouldn't say it's a good source to study.

john joe - Mike Russell's advice was solid

my advice would be (i) there's no money in it, unless you land a full-time gig with a magazine like i did, or a high-paying site like Mike did for a while. But generally speaking, paid gigs are rare as rocking-horse shit and you'd struggle to land one anyway, being new.

(ii) nonetheless, use it to get experience of sports reporting and website copywriting, then look to use that experience to transition into more profitable writing fields/subjects.

in mainstream terms, you're covering a sport that's about as big as Curling or Gaelic Football. Bear that in mind when considering the route your career path will (ideally) take.
  • scraps plans to start a Gaelic football website. Phone Post

KidPittsburgh - 
Brian Rule - Study the posts of Underground Blog, and when you're done study them some more. Redundant source-gathering, misleading headlines, embarrassing typos, and shameless brown-nosing are the waves of good journalism's future.

the UGblog is notorious amongst freelancers for getting your article hacked up and edited incorrectly. So, I wouldn't say it's a good source to study.

Seriously? Any examples of this would be interesting to know. If anything UG Blog needs more variety in content and less hands-on 'editing', which is clearly not its strong suit.

To the OP, doing something because you enjoy doing it is reason enough, as no one can take that enjoyment from you. Doing something just to be in the scene or to be rich or to be famous are wrong reasons. But if you want to write about MMA because you love MMA and want to write then just do it. Anything else is icing.