Warm Ups?

"I think warmups are neccesary to get everyone loose for training. The only thing I take exception to is having to do butt scoots all the way across the mat. Anyone else hate this drill? "

I beg to differ.

Every time I do the butt scoot, I think, "I already know the butt scoot, but what the heck and then afterwards I go, hey, it seems that now my butt is scooting a bit better after all the butt scooting and maybe it will help my grappling and butt scoots and stuff, thanks bob s".

ttt

Yesterday we did drilling for warmup. Started with one person in guard, person tries to pass, the other sweep, submit or standup. Switch roles after 2 mins. Same for 1/2 guard, mount, side mount, back.

More fun and efficient use of time IMO.

I like the idea of doing light drills with BJJ techniques as a warm
up.

For those who say warm-up exercises help prepare or condition
the body for BJJ.. won't the training itself condition the body?

I've got it cleared with my BJJ coach to unobtrusively do my kettlebell stuff during the early part of class ... I leave my homemade kbell at the BJJ gym so other people, including my coach, can use it on nights I'm not there.

We do deadlifts, militaries, and some back and ab work after class, but my form degrades badly on the kbell after any kind of endurance activity.

Anyway, my point is that at least some coaches will probably be receptive to whatever ideas you have about warming up on your own as long as you're not disruptive about it. Apparently other coaches are like Klingons or something. :(

Uncloaks, and fires full phasers and photon torpedoes at SDriver

Die, Kirk, you weak Earthling scum!!

recloaks

there is no hard evidence that warm-ups keep you injury
free,and while keeping you conditioned is in my opinion
important, doing a hard warm up @ the beginning of class
just is just robbing your body of valueable time
that you could be drilling. most of the data I have read
states that the fresher you are the faster/better your
body absorbs physical learning, while the more tired you
are the less you can absorb.

some smart people here

ttt

no joke;
"former soviet reasearch,in wild animals and properly
conditioned people proves the psysiological changes
needed for fight or flight- such as increased
temperature, fluid viscosity, circulation, and muscle
tone - take only seconds to develop". -pavel tsatsouline
beyond stretching.

Think about it how many times does an animal have to do warmups before it runs away from a predator.

The same book sites a study on the Kansas city royals by dr.Judd Biasiotto where the practice of warming up
with a lead bat was believed to increase the bat
velocity he found that 47 out of 50 professional
baseball players tested had better bat velocity
without a warmup.

another thing to keep in mind is that the body is ruled
by adaptation, in otherwords it will adapt to whatever
it is expected of it. so if you expect warmups in order
to make it perform better it will start needing warmups
inorder to perform at all.

People who are against warm ups.

ARE YOU NUTS!?!?!

I think a light warm up + stretching is a MUST for any BJJ class. It helps prevents injuries, the end. Tougher calisthenics added in is ok, but not nessesary.

no I am not nuts, I also am not against warm ups, if you
want to do them fine, but nobody "needs" warmups, the concept of warm ups is as effective for fitness as the
food pyramid is to nutrition, christ most of the ex
soviet bloc countries havent used warm- ups since the
early sixties, the U.S. "fitness industry" is seriously
behind the times.

pitchfork has hit the correct.

"Warm ups" mean different things to different people. One thing that they often do achieve is to prepare people mentally for the activity they are about to undertake - kind of get them focused on the job at hand. I'd suspect there would be a definate correlation between injuries and lack of focus...

rom.-range of motion, and drom.-dynamic range of motion
excercises are preferable to push ups, sit ups, etc , but
heres the interesting thing if you do rom or drom early
in the day (for that matter flexibility training) the
effects last through out the day making them redundent
pre-workout

ttt

Peare,
I agree with you. Your opinion is much more valid than the list of facts in the post just before yours.

Hikikomi,
"It has been proven that injury incidence increases when fatique sets in."
So you think 35 minutes of warm up, ensuring that you're fatigued at the end of class during sparring, is a good idea?

Also, are all your guys interested in competition? If so, I'd be very surprised. If not, aren't you afraid of forcing some of your students to prepare for something they're not interested in?
I'm very interested in judo and jiu-jitsu, but not at all interested in competing or having my martial arts teacher get me in shape, when I run and workout everyday during my lunch break. For free.

I've heard that stretching before activity has not been scientifically shown to increase performance, but I haven't heard that claim made about "warming-up" in general.

Hikikomi;
I completely agree that you need to train/condition hard
my arguement is that fatigue impares the body's ability
to learn technical skills, my only problem with a long
conditioning session is the placement of said session
in the framework of the class. my practice, and
observation has led me to belive that if m.a. or for that
matter wrestling classes put the conditioning @ the end
of class students would retain more "muscle memory".
that said I do commend the fact that you make your
conditioning, skill specific, overall imo. that makes
more sense to me then doing tons of calisthenics
(calisthenics are all skill unto themselves and compete with technical "repping" for "muscle memmory")

If you don't warm up then you will be more likely to get injured.

FACT...!

ttt

People who complain about warmups seem to forget that Bjj IS a physical activity. It is something you DO with your body. It isn't an academic pursuit.

If your body isn't able or well conditioned to do Bjj (or Judo, boxing, wrestling or any other martial art and sport) than you really can't do it.

Despite what people say I feel warmups are essentially and important.

Now the best warmups are the movements which are directly related to the sport/activity one is doing. One of my wrestling coaches was also my Kinesiology professor. He talked about the importance of warmups in various activities. He said wrestlers shouldn't waste their time doing things like jumping jacks and the like for warmups BUT rather do skill oriented movements that are frequently done in wrestling such as lowering level movements, sprawls, sitout, hip heist etc. The point is a good and useful warmup for wrestling would be the movements which are actually used in wrestling. The same can be said for any sport or activity: from basketball, to soccer, to Judo, to Track and Field.

Alot of coaches and instructor would have their students do calisthenic for warmups which are very general and aren't really good warmups for the activity or sport. Another thing they would do is have their student do the warmups TOO long. General and basic calisthenics don't warmup and prepare the body to engage in a specific and particular activity like movements that directly relate to the activity being done.

5 - 10 minutes of movements which directly relate to the activity is adequate. Doing 2 minutes of hip escape drills warms up the body faster and better for something like Bjj than 30 minutes of pushups, situps, jumpingjacks and the like.

The point of warmup is to raise the body's core temperature. You need not be huffing and puffing to be warmed up. You also don't need to waste your energy doing excess movements.

The way I see people take warmups to the extreme. They either don't do them, which is a big mistake for any physical activity which people seem to forget Bjj is, or they do an excess of them AND they do movements which aren't really go warmups for the particular sport they are doing.

People need to be alittle more educated and smart about the things they are doing.