Warrior Spirit Gentle Spirit

As of now is the name of my book.

Donna's post and mine about Christianity and the martial arts led me to this title.

Which leads me to this question. Can both co-exsist?

For me yes they can and the last two years of my life have been proof. I would never intentionaly harm another human being[i would also say animal, but I hunt and fish}unless of course it was in defense of my family or coming to the aide of another in trouble. I am very gentle and loving with my family and friends. And try to be with total strangers.But on the other hand I have stepped up both my Judo and wrestling(training 2 days a week in each, not counting cardio and strength training} getting ready for NAGA, so the warrior spirit is still very much alive in me.

I also see the warrior spirit as having nothing to do really with fighting. The warrior spirit means standing up for what you strongly believe. it means speaking out at injustice.It means willing to die if needed for what you believe. I am a soldier for Christ and always will be.

i'd like your thoughts on the subject.

yours in Christ

sherm

In my estimation, the "gentle spirit" is evidenced with intent. If one's intent is to honorably win a competition, no conflict between being a Christian and a competitor exists.

If one has in his plan and desire to seriously hurt someone and takes joy it it...I don't know how that person resolves that intent with being a Christian.

In NHB people willingly walk into the ring, knowing full well the possible results of the competition - knowing full well that bodily harm is a likely event. Many people have no problem with that...and, in fact, their warrior spirit and skills are ASSISTED as you attempt to win the competition. I don't view that as "harming" a person, though physical injury may result.

That statement is not a contradiction...it's the crux of the matter.

And, yes, PastorSherm I agree with you - the warrior's spirit is nevery laying down, never yielding on matters of import and never giving up. That character trait can be honed and displayed in martial arts, but is consummately applicable in life in general.

Interesting post...and yes, Tulkas I deleted your obnoxious post.

I believe that the book Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikawa, talks about it, although don´t solve this aparent conflict, since most Japanese are not Christians.

I can´t wait to read the book The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
by Takuan Soho, Musashi´s zen master.

I believe that the moral principles achieved by the nations that are not Christian can help us to find the common ground in ethics, without having to argue about "it is writen in the bible" stuff. I mean, they are trying to reach the truth thru their own means, observing life, although following some books like "I Ching" and others. And they were warriors.

It´s a very interesting topic.

competing in a NHB and saying that the harm that one may cause the other is *only* a side-effect is a bit of a rationalization imo. Still both step up in the ring from Free will, which also has to be considered.

I think it ultimatly boils down to what you are able to do yourself. What your private inner "moral compass" tells you to do and not to do. Noone else, human or book can tell you what is right or wrong for you to do, everyone has to feel "inside" and decide for themselves.

Could I say that "warrior spirit" means courage?

imo yes. Like in the courage not to use violence for example. ;-)

FudoMyoo,

"I think it ultimatly boils down to what you are able to do yourself. What your private inner "moral compass" tells you to do and not to do. Noone else, human or book can tell you what is right or wrong for you to do, everyone has to feel "inside" and decide for themselves. "

So...it's all relative?

*runs for the hills*... ;)

Operationally? Sure...absolutely (pun intended). Is causing physical harm necessarily a bad thing? People spar all the time to challenge their skills. Without contact, YOU CAN BE DOING TRUE DAMAGE BY NOT HITTING HIM/HER...because you're confering a false sense of security, which can lead to real physical injury.

Of course, all of this presumes consent.

I also think an honorable spirit can evidence itself in the ring. How may times have you seen an opponent virtually helpless, and the attacker keep slugging away? That to me, is disgraceful. Though in the heat of battle I can understand wanting to keep blasting away, it is clearly far more honorable to not further injure a defenseless person. That control, that discipline, that mercy...is a sign of a confident, honerable martial artist.

Donna,

I would say it includes courage, but is not limited by it. The above example of an honorable fighter I think indicates courage as well as discipline and compassion.

Yes, I´m listening...

"So...it's all relative? "

I thought we agreed on that lately. ;-)

"Is causing physical harm necessarily a bad thing?"

Like bad "in itself", lol. You know what I think about this. Basicly it´s up to you, yes.

imo your sparring analogy demonstrates a false limited set of choices.You don´t have to be there sparring at all.

"You don´t have to be there sparring at all. "

The assumption is that two people want to spar, and why do we spar? To improve our combat ability through a realistic simulation. Right? Isn't that the point?

Human beings need to touch each other.

While little girls like to walk hand by hand, boys like to fight... Uh... little mammals like to spar too...

So, let´s say that we still have an innate necessity to fight for survival. How are there so many people that don´t like to spar at all, and they think it is too violent?

sure. If someone wants to hurt and harm others (in sparring) that is that persons problem.

Was that your point?

"How are there so many people that don´t like to spar at all, and they think it is too violent?
"

I think you answered your own question.

FudoMyoo

Do you have MSN?

like a hotmail account?

No, I didn´t answer my own question, can you please clarify it?

some don´t like to spar at all, *because* they find it too violent.

"How are there so many people that don´t like to spar at all, and they think it is too violent? "

They're civilized. ;)

Combat is optional in a civilized society. For some, it's exciting and a challenge. For others, it's scary and silly.

They just prefer to touch in different ways...

"Combat is optional in a civilized society."

Mostly anyway.. ;-)

j/k, I agree with what I think you meant.

Is it "civilized" to hurt another person, even with its own consent?