Was Edgar/Maynard Rd 1 a 10-8 or 10-7 Round?

http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html

3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round. 

4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round. 

No. Phone Post

Chris723 - 10-7's should not exist. One has never been scored, and never should be.

Forrst Petz vs Sammy Morgan. Petz won 30-23 on one of the judges cards. It has happened.

Chris723 - 10-7's should not exist. One has never been scored, and never should be.

Well aren't you stupid.

I don't think there should be 10-7 rounds.
If someone is that dominate they should have finished or the ref should have stopped it.

It was a 10-7 round, but once again mma doesn't really have it's own scoring rules, so the judges scored like they would a boxing match, 10-8.

A clear 10-7, imo.

Edgar's lucky to remember his name after that first round.

Of course the 10-7 round should exist. If you barely outstrike your opponent and score a flash knockdown in the round you get a 10-8 round, and you are telling me that you should not get an additional point for complete domination and multiple knockdowns? It is ridiculous that the 10-7 round is not used more accordingly such as it is in boxing.

As soon as that first round ended last night I said frankie needs to win the next four rounds to win this fight. Turns out that comment was moot as the judges do not seem to want to excercise their option of the 10-7 round for whatever reason.

Skywalker speaks sense. Phone Post

sgotwalks - Of course the 10-7 round should exist. If you barely outstrike your opponent and score a flash knockdown in the round you get a 10-8 round,

No, you don't. That's boxing. In MMA you need a lot more than a knockdown to overwhelmingly dominate and deserve a 10-8 round.

I think you can make an argument for either. I scored it 10/8, but 10/7 is not out of the question. I think a 10/7 works better in boxing due to knock downs. It is not as practical in MMA.

nope Frankie was intelligently defending himself the whole time and was constantly trying to scramble and improve his position.To get a 10-7 you have to have complete control to the point where your opponent cant escape an inferior position for an entire round,be bloodied up and the entire crowd should be booing that it hasnt been stopped

the guy definitely shouldnt be able to come back and dominate the next round.This isnt boxing where every knockdown takes off a point

If the 10-7 round exists (which it does), then no question Maynard won round one 10-7.

Maynard landed 97 strikes and knocked Edgar down 4 separate times. The fight could have been stopped on 3 separate occasions. It was a total mauling

50-45 imo

That was a 10-7 round if I've ever seen one.

I've never seen a better example of a 10-7 round

Regardless, even if Round 1 was 10-8, Maynard still won 48/46 by my score.

10/7 or 10/8
9/10 or 9/10
10/9 or 10/9
9/10 or 9/10
10/9 or 10/9
----- or -----
48/45 or 48/46

Overwhelmingly vs. Totally.

Edgar was on his feet and lucid well before the round ended, and wasn't rocked until about a minute into the fight, IIRC. Not a 10-7.

Ansari - <i>Overwhelmingly</i> vs. <i>Totally</i>.

Edgar was on his feet and lucid well before the round ended, and wasn't rocked until about a minute into the fight, IIRC. Not a 10-7.

I don't think any human, except maybe Leben or prime Fujita, could handle your idea of a 10-7 round.

Anyone have any other examples of rounds that can be scored 10-7? For comparison purposes.

Roy Batty - 
Ansari - Overwhelmingly vs. Totally.

I don't think any human, except maybe Leben or prime Fujita, could handle your idea of a 10-7 round.

Considering Edgar was landing shots by the end of the round, that shows he wasn't totally dominated.  He was overwhelmed for a serious portion of the round, but in the beginning and end, he wasn't.

It is semantics but in my mind you need to be utterly dominated from start to finish with zero offense at all.  Like you said, I doubt many would survive and due to ref stoppages, we haven't seen many 10-7's.

10-8 IMO.