Was I wrong here? BJJ etiquette Question

A good jits or catch wrestling instructor will always have you controlling the head roughly when you get position. From side they will usually have you turn their faces away so they can't shrimp to you and regain guard.

HereWeAre - 
Randy Marsh - 
HereWeAre -  Do you have a tendency to crush people's teeth?

Are you the face crushing guy?

What's wrong with face crushing during grappling?

It gets annoying.

I mean I get where this blue belt is coming from because I have no problem tapping to a move executed with superior technique but I hate tapping to bullshit moves like tooth smashing. 

But I would have just tapped calmly and then smashed your face right back. Maybe go knee on chin instead of belly. haha

It is annoying but you don't have to let them do it. He should also wear a mouthpiece. Controlling your opponent's head is a technique... A very popular way of doing that is by smashing their head into the mat. If it isn't a illegal then it is a legit technique.   Some of the things that BJJ guys complain about are considered foreplay by most wrestlers. I would hope you would smash the face right back. I have had to tap before because a guy got some "bullshit" technique but if it were a competition I can't hop up and claim it was a "bullshit" technique... You have to be able to defend agains those as well...

Sorry, sounds to me like the OP is using a round about way to brag about 'tapping' a Blue in TRAINING.

Don't do it - training is training.

Fuck that dude. While you should work for the clean choke, if the kid isn't doing anything but trying to ride out the clock then crank the shit out of him Phone Post

If he is beating you, then he is beating you.

Whether he is a wrestler, a super strong football player, or whatever. Just because he isnt following some stupid unspoken "rules" (i.e. the forearm to jaw thing just mentioned) doesnt change anything. You study these styles to learn how to deal with shit like that, if you go off and whine to your Sifu about how unfair it is when something like that happens then...

Give up martial arts.

newbloodmma -  A good jits or catch wrestling instructor will always have you controlling the head roughly when you get position. From side they will usually have you turn their faces away so they can't shrimp to you and regain guard.

Which you do buy applying pressure to their face with your shoulder and it is generally enough pressure to make them feel uncomfy. 

Squatcat - lol @ all the tough guys here, any white or blue that goes rough on me gets to eat 3 solid weeks of the most miserable crushing rib pain ever, it's not fucking worth it.

So you don't think the blue acted like a bitch?

Squatcat - lol @ all the tough guys here, any white or blue that goes rough on me gets to eat 3 solid weeks of the most miserable crushing rib pain ever, it's not fucking worth it.

I cant speak for anyone else, but if you are able to inflict that then so be it. I can either whine or quit training.

Ive grappled with SOME guys who I thought went a bit overboard (i.e. the type who would damn near snap your arm off a fraction of a second after getting an armbar), but they were extremely rare.

What I say isnt about being a "tough guy" its about accepting the nature of the art and not trying to water it down over some BS.

I had a similar experience as a white belt. Caught a blue in a straight ankle lock and refused to tap for a while, but did eventually.

He stands up and starts limping around, walks over to his friend and says fucking guy kept cranking it and both start mean mugging me.

I was thinking to myself why didn't he tap right away then... and just after that the instructor walks over to him and tells him to lose the ego and that's what you get for being to proud to tap.

If the blue belt had your attitude then we wouldn't be having this conversation. There is nothing wrong with getting rough back as long as it is within the rules.

Randy Marsh - 
newbloodmma -  A good jits or catch wrestling instructor will always have you controlling the head roughly when you get position. From side they will usually have you turn their faces away so they can't shrimp to you and regain guard.

Which you do buy applying pressure to their face with your shoulder and it is generally enough pressure to make them feel uncomfy. 
I rolled with a GrapplersQuest gold medalist and all I felt was knees, shins, and bone. He didn't do it hard enough to pop a rib or jaw, just enough to control. The best grapplers are not fun to roll with when they're rolling to win.

You did nothing wrong, but I never see the point in trying to choke someone across their face. Sure, it'll happen in competition, but if you're training the choke properly (ie, if you have it across their face - adjust the choke before you try and finish it) then you always have the option to face crush in competition.

I rolled last night with a bluebelt that wanted to go light, it turns out light means "until I don't like your grip - then i'll break that grip with all my power" and "until I feel I'm close to a submission/pass - then i'll use all my power to complete it". To me, that is a bigger no-no. I expect lower belts to go hard normally however.

estanmilko - To me, that is a bigger no-no. I expect lower belts to go hard normally however.

No homo, btw...

in my first few weeks of bjj there was this dude that was always grinding on me, not for technique or a purpose, just grinding away.  After a few weeks I was totally fed up.  he was in a seated position and I was on my knees facing him, I jumped to gullotine but he couldn't get his legs out of the way and I ended up in his lap.  I leaned back and streched his neck and popped his rib.......  good times frens 

Squatcat - 
newbloodmma - 
Randy Marsh - 

I rolled with a GrapplersQuest gold medalist and all I felt was knees, shins, and bone. He didn't do it hard enough to pop a rib or jaw, just enough to control. The best grapplers are not fun to roll with when they're rolling to win.

Rolled with a 4 time Mundial champ who can apply no pain from any position and bitch tap me.

The best grapplers can make fun of you while you grapple.

On the other hand I once had my nose broken by a 6'8" noob (buddy). He was a flopper, those are the most dangerous ones.

Squatcat - 
mongo54 -  in my first few weeks of bjj there was this dude that was always grinding on me, not for technique or a purpose, just grinding away.  After a few weeks I was totally fed up.  he was in a seated position and I was on my knees facing him, I jumped to gullotine but he couldn't get his legs out of the way and I ended up in his lap.  I leaned back and streched his neck and popped his rib.......  good times frens 

You don't wanna get randomly mongoed in training, don't make enemies.
precisely, when he came back he was a gentleman, and so was I

You both sound like newbie spazzez. Sometimes the only thing worse then a spazzy white belt is spazzy tmpermental blue belt. Work on constantly escaping bad positions instead of doing some weird playground face crush submissions.

sounds like a neck crank and a face crush... you probably didn't have the choke. Either way, wveryone should tap in training as opposed to waiting it out and having nagging injuries. It is not a tournament. Egos do get in the way though.

he sounds like a pussy.  There are lots of blue belts out there that can only really dominate white belts and you took away his ability to dominate you.   His ego is bruised because you gave him a tough time.

I was talking about whatever submission he said he was trying to do. I have noticed newer guys try to do submissions that dont work or dont exist for a reason, instead of the stuff that makes you better. You want to really want get better? Right after sweeping him go back to your guard and try it again. There is no white belt stripmall gold medal to win so quit trying so hard to win it.

If I have a white or blue (or whatever belt) be a hack when they roll I will let them know that its not cool. I have gotten more tweaks and stingers from hackish rolling I dont have any time for it anymore. I can elbow grind, cross face, pressure point, pry open guards with points of my elbows with the best of them but I don't do it because it unrefined and does nothing for anyone. I dont need to learn how do deal with spaz/hack grappler for some real life or tournament situation so I have no need to risk injury messing around with that at the gym.