Was Israel Adesanya ever really that good?

I know it’s a meme to doubt a fighter’s greatness after they lose, but I’ve had this nagging feeling that maybe Izzy was just never really as good as the UFC media machine hyped him up to be. Points of contention I have:
Went life and death with fringe top 10 middleweight Kelvin Gastelum
“Beat” a Yoel Romero who was too scared to throw a punch
Outpointed Marvin Vettori who I don’t believe should even be in championship conversations
Was given the nod in Whittaker II which was arguably a robbery
Was KO’d standing by a guy with no experience in 5 round MMA fights and with a fraction of his experience in MMA as a whole

4 Likes

And this is without bringing up that against men similar to his height he really struggles, like Jan and Alex

1 Like

Classic Reaction GIF

3 Likes

WMMA, never disappoints with the dumbest most uneducated posts ever.

11 Likes

Cry more boy

Alex Pereira Sport GIF by UFC

2 Likes

Anyone who smaahes whitaker and Costa is no joke

7 Likes

A shot 43 year old Silva almost beat him too. To even compare the two would be laughable.

Also he never fought Weidman or Rockhold. They would have been nightmare match ups for him

The goats at middleweight so far are

1. Silva
  2. Romero
  3. Izzy
3 Likes

anyone who is in UFC is that good anyone who was champ for sure is and his record clearly is elite ,shit thread Whats your other screen name ?

2 Likes

Not sure if troll or not.

Self admitted Izzy hater here, but the guy fought his way up without losing, wiped out the MW division, moved up to fight the LHW champion, losing by decision, comes back and wipes out the contenders of the division that he already wiped out the first time, and then immediately, proactively takes a fight against a completely undeserving challenger that people said was his boogeyman in another sport and wins 4.8 rounds of that fight until getting stopped in what some have argued was in early fashion.

I mean, what the hell does someone have to do to be considered “good” these days?

11 Likes

Alex was in that fight the entire time, Izzy was not winning “4.8” rounds.

He obviously is a good fighter, it’s just his all-time greatness as a champion is questionable considering the praise he gets. Maybe we will look back at this era as being when the MW division was rather poor.

2 Likes

Good to see him finally smile.
Motherfuckers ice cold normally.

1 Like

Show off expensive watches and punch old men while on a cocaine bender.

3 Likes

Yes he was and is but I will say that after seeing him up close at UFC 276 this year against Cannonier… that I was very underwhelmed. Izzy did not impress like a Prime Anderson in person did over and over.

And I said immediately after that event on here that Volk should be the true #1 p4p fighter at the moment since that night he was leagues ahead of everyone on the card from an overall MMA Skillset standpoint. Izzy is limited by comparison. And Usman the other guy ahead of Volk at the time was just not ahead of his contenders like Volk was. He had some close moments before he lost. Volk left the #2 and greatest rival of his division far behind him.

Then it was funny how right after that event… Usman gets flatlined and Izzy gets TKO’d by a Kickboxer with a handful of MMA fights.

And then Volk took his rightful and earned #1 p4p spot. Funny how it all worked out.
After all that rambling I can say that Izzy was overrated (especially with that fucking Undertaker entrance) and that Volk was massively underrated until now.

4 Likes

Its not a small weight advantage. Izzy Weighed in at 200 pounds but was probably closer to 195 during fight time. Meanwhile Jan comes in at 215-220.

Yes. The titty was really great. He’s still good, but just now past his prime. He can still win fights, and he will, but will start to see some L’s coming his way.

Alex was certainly in the fight, but he also wasn’t winning it by the generally accepted standards of winning a fight.

Ok smartass

I’ll jump in this rabbit hole.

Izzy slid into the title at a good time. Steel sharpens steel until all the steel has been wasted into a pile of shavings.

The best 185lbs all broke each other like a spoiled kid.

Chris weidman is in pieces
Luke broke his brain and wasted his prime banging a non-binary
Hendo rode into the sunset with bispings sole
Yoel doesn’t like to win
Anderson forgot how to pull the trigger, after getting broke.

Izzy came in at an opportune time. His most impressive win was raw dawging Paulo after he was tired from drinking all the wine in the city and getting 50 women pregnant the night before. Izzy has shined against thin division that has not retooled yet.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ. Yes he was really that good. Was Anderson, gsp and Jones really that good? They didn’t win every single fight by flawless KO.

Khabib had an easy run as an elite grappler against guys who never grapple. 155 is the definition of stand and bang.

1 Like

Is anyone’s grappling as good as Khabib’s though? I can’t think of one person who is on his level P4P