Was my professor out of line?

I am in Calc. 1 and the class meets every Tuesday and Thursday at 4:30-6:30. Yesterday I had an intramural basketball game at 7:30 and to get home to change, and get to the gym I would have had to rush.

The professor gives us lab time for the second hour of class where we just work on our homework which is online. So I left after he was done lecturing. This morning I get this email:

"I noticed that you decided not to come to lab yesterday. I thought I was pretty clear at the beginning of the semester that our class lasts for two hours on Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30-6:30. I'm not sure if you somehow mistakenly got the idea that the lab hour was optional. If you did, you didn't get it from me. Judging by your performance so far in the course, I can't believe that you wouldn't take every opportunity possible to work on the course, especially with tutoring help immediately available. It makes me wonder what your plan is for this course, and if part of this plan includes passing the course.

Your quiz score for Thursday will be cut in half. Let me know if you
have any questions, and I'll see you in class on Thursday."

Was he out of line?

Also, we have had only 3 weeks of class, and I haven't done bad on any quizzes or anything. And I have gotten 100's on all previous homework assignments.

No, and I'd like to slap you

wow.... he's a dick

you need to suck it up and apologize though, otherwise it's gonna get worse

calc is more important that B-Ball

if you bring up why you left it's just gonna make it worse... it's a lose lose

He actually expects you to be in class during the scheduled time? The audacity.

No, it's his class. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah. It was a dumb thing to do, but I didn't tell him why I left. Here is what I said back:

"I have paid thousands of dollars to go to school here, it is my choice whether or not I come to class. It is not high school anymore, and I did not hurt anyone else's chances of learning but my own. The disrespect and condescending tone in the previous email was not needed and I did not appreciate it. I realized I left early, I apologize and I won't do it again."

Is it in the course syllabus that attendance for the whole time period is mandatory?

Does it say that attendance is graded and that you can lose marks on something totally unrelated to attendance (the quiz score for Thursday) in the syllabus?

If not, he's making shit up as he goes along and it is out of line. Students get a syllabus for a reason: it's essentially a contract between the instructor and the students on how things will be for transparency.

You can confront him with this. If he still decides to give you a hard time, you can go to the Dean.

shouldve just asked ahead of time if you could leave early from his class.
you're doomed though now that you sent that response.

hahahaha^^^

Good luck with that. Phone Post 3.0

Professor is a huge arrogant asshole.

Something tells me that even if you've asked ahead of time to leave early with a good reason he wouldn't be happy.

Your reply email is what I meant btw. You pay for classes but it's still not optional for when and how you attend. Phone Post 3.0

Dude, you bailed on class because you didn't want to have to "rush" to be on time for intramural basketball? And when your professor notices and then takes the time to give you some tough love, you want the OG to tell you what a dick he is? Maybe Anonymous will help you take down this "out of line" desparado professor. Fucking millenials.

Swallow your pride unless you have money to throw away. Phone Post

Is it before the drop date? Because this would be a good time to drop that class before it hits your transcript. Your response wasn't particularly wise. Phone Post 3.0

Maybe you could've... You know... Bring a duffel bag with your basketball gear in it with you??! And you know... Head directly to the gym after class??? Phone Post 3.0

I can't believe that came from a prof. What the hell kind of school do you attend? If an adult wants to skip out on a class they paid for who the hell is the prof to tell them otherwise?<br /><br />If you haven't hit the add/drop deadline I would get into another section, because this guy sounds like a turd who is going to be incapable of objectivity in future dealings with you.

It's whatever. It's my last semester, and I was not in the mood to get that email this morning.

The syllabus says nothing about attendance being graded, just that make-up quizzes aren't allowed.

Oh this gonna be good Phone Post 3.0

Dwight Schrute - Yeah. It was a dumb thing to do, but I didn't tell him why I left. Here is what I said back:

"I have paid thousands of dollars to go to school here, it is my choice whether or not I come to class. It is not high school anymore, and I did not hurt anyone else's chances of learning but my own. The disrespect and condescending tone in the previous email was not needed and I did not appreciate it. I realized I left early, I apologize and I won't do it again."

You may have just screwed yourself for the rest of this course.