Was that the best striking "chess match" ever?

The only other fights that come to mind as being close are Fedor/CC and Chack/Rampage 1.

What we saw last night was the most impressive display of dynamic striking, and not only that, but we saw how well these guys could quickly adapt to one another's attacks and create effective counters as the fight went on.

Regardless of the questionable decision, I could tell by the 2nd round that the fight would instantly become one of my favorites of all time.

The footwork, the way Shogun was closing distance by shuffling into clinch range, the way Lyoto countered with those short and brutal knees to the body, the way Shogun was sprinting after Lyoto (ala' Tito, except actually towards his opponent) and then cracking him low kicks like a field goal kicker, the reaction time and reflexes of both fighters, the tit for tat exchange of kick for kick....

I could go on all day.  What a fucking beautiful fight.  When a championship fight goes into the fifth round and you're wishing it could continue for a few more, that's the sign of a great fight.

Much respect to Shogun and Lyoto for putting on an amazing show.

You're sour?

My pussy is so inflamed, it just set off a smoke alarm.

Awesome fight though.

VERY WELL PUT uncle Justice.

People are focused on the decision but the focus should be on the fact that this fight may represent the highest level of evolution that MMA has had to date.

The truly exciting thing is that these two are going to go back to their camp and come up with some new strategies to counter each other and then we all get to watch this again.

A truly spectacular fight.

btw - I thought Shogun took it, but this definitely isn't an outrage

THE SAND!!!!

MY VAGINA!!!!!!

THE SAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!!

I have a nippy pussy.

No lie.

It was a great fight but not the best we could have had. In spite of what Machida said concerning his condition, the lead-up to the fight, with a unprecedented media presence and demands, was different to what he had ever experienced.

I was so happy and satisfied, thinking that I really got my money's worth.

And then the decision...

But fuck that. The fight was incredible.

The tension was just edge-of-your-seat amazing. The only thing I can think of that was comparable in MMA was the first round of Fedor-Cro Cop, where every clinch, every feint, every punch/kick made you go "Oh shit!"

Just a great, great fight.

Uncle Justice - post

Well put. This was the best striking "chess match" ever.

Forssberg - It was a great fight but not the best we could have had. In spite of what Machida said concerning his condition, the lead-up to the fight, with a unprecedented media presence and demands, was different to what he had ever experienced.

Disagree. Machidas stance was always and will still be vulnerable to lowkicks. He had simply not fought anyone with the thaiboxing and ground game to exploit this before. Sam Greco used a similar gameplan but his lacking groundgame lost the fight

Machida will be forced to change styles if he doesnt want a deja vu experience

It's good to see that despite the controversy, people could still appreciate what an amazing fight it was.

The way Shogun decided to "crack the puzzle" was fucking awesome to watch unfold.

Uncle Justice -  It's good to see that despite the controversy, people could still appreciate what an amazing fight it was.

The way Shogun decided to "crack the puzzle" was fucking awesome to watch unfold.

Shogun became the Answer to the Riddle.

Howver, he was still weary and respectful of Machida all night.

Machida i thoguht may have turned the tide or may have found his game changers in r3 but Shogun weathered it.

Both should great technique and striking.

So rare in the UFC.

So rare.

We were at least lucky here.

I agree. The fight was great

disagree..

that was like watching a crappy K-1 fight..

that was very boring and hard to watch for me..

I think I've seen too many fights or something..

D1M3B4G - 
Uncle Justice - 

You're sour?

My pussy is so inflamed, it just set off a smoke alarm.

Inflammation of tissue has nothing to do with fire, sry.

THAT'S NOT HOW YOU SPELL SORRY.