Was there an "Opioid Crisis" when Obama was Prez?

Not looking to debate the validity of the "crisis", what caused it, etc.

I'm simply asking if it was a"thing" when Barry was around?

Is it only being addressed and targeted so heavily NOW?

Looking for serious discussions

Its been heavily discussed for some time now. 

There's been an opiod crisis for a long time. it's also been addressed for a long time. There is no long term solution.

EluThingol - There's been an opiod crisis for a long time. it's also been addressed for a long time. There is no long term solution.

I agree...but it just seems like its ALL over the news NOW...and I simply dont remember hearing about it like this a year or 2 ago

What all are opiods?  Valium?  Why are poeple shitting their pants so muc?  Nuts

https://i.imgur.com/VhoK9WA.jpg

There has been an opiate crisis in the US and other western countries for the best part of the last century.

People seem to think that Trump is referring to the Heroin on the streets, and he is to a degree, but it's a much bigger problem than that.

The real opiate crisis is the amount of Oxycontin and similar drugs, that are being pedalled for Big Pharma by the GPs. Half the population is on them and driving cars and trying to function along side us, which can be dangerous.

Plus you have the Deep State controlling the opium fields in Afghanistan and supplying to both the black market and Big Pharma.

Obama wouldn't dare to say shit about the problem.

When I was an under cover narcotics detective opiods were our main focus back in the late 90's - early 00's. It was mostly pills at that time but heroin was beginning to show up in a lot larger quantities and very high purity.

Homeslice - 

What all are opiods?  Valium?  Why are poeple shitting their pants so muc?  Nuts

No, valium is a Benzo.

Rumblefish.....have you seen the show 'Intervention'?

It's been going since 2005, and is just a reality-show which shows the lives of hardcore addicts.

To show how much power Big Pharma has, in Australia they now have roadside alcohol and drug testing for drivers. They test for alcohol, cannabis, cocaine and meth. And if you are found to test positive then you are in for a world of head fuckery. However they don't test for Opium based drugs, because if they did, it would turn the entire Medical and Pharmacuetical world upside down.

Redneck -

There has been an opiate crisis in the US and other western countries for the best part of the last century.

People seem to think that Trump is referring to the Heroin on the streets, and he is to a degree, but it's a much bigger problem than that.

The real opiate crisis is the amount of Oxycontin and similar drugs, that are being pedalled for Big Pharma by the GPs. Half the population is on them and driving cars and trying to function along side us, which can be dangerous.

Plus you have the Deep State controlling the opium fields in Afghanistan and supplying to both the black market and Big Pharma.

Obama wouldn't dare to say shit about the problem.

Pretty efficient explanation IMO.

Very complex problem.  You could write volumes of books on how it happened and how to fix it.

EluThingol - There's been an opiod crisis for a long time. it's also been addressed for a long time. There is no long term solution.

Disagree with your second sentence.  Its completely solveable.  

The opioid crisis is a north american one.

It's here in Canada too.

China is fueling it.

Redneck - 

To show how much power Big Pharma has, in Australia they now have roadside alcohol and drug testing for drivers. They test for alcohol, cannabis, cocaine and meth. And if you are found to test positive then you are in for a world of head fuckery. However they don't test for Opium based drugs, because if they did, it would turn the entire Medical and Pharmacuetical world upside down.

Thanks Redneck, but no....

Aussie cops do roadside tests for alcohol (like the USA/Canada/Europe/ everywhere else with competency), and then back at the station/hospital they draw blood or a deep breath sample in order to get court-admissible evidence.

But on the roadside they also use hand-held tests for cannabis, cocaine, meth, and others, which, with a positive test, gives the cops the right to take the suspect back to the station and draw a blood or deep-breath sample.

The test kits for these can and often do give false positives (just like in the USA/Canada), and when you couple those false-positives with the anti-drug-driving initiatives by the Aus Govt, you get false convictions.

I dunno how it is now, but when I lived in QLD from 2006-8, in Townsville during the Iraq war and the height of the recruitment, I applauded the increased anti-drink/drug driving initiatives by the Gov't. Fuck hoons, fuck their V8s , and double fuck all the meth they were doing. I never got in a fight in my life before North East Australia. You ever seen 'Wake in Fright'?

Well, not close, but not far.

FetusofFury - Rumblefish.....have you seen the show 'Intervention'?

It's been going since 2005, and is just a reality-show which shows the lives of hardcore addicts.

no, no,no--- I "get" it....I understand the problem has been around for a while.

I t just seems like it's ALLL over the news now, and wasn't a year or so ago.
Which is fucking pathetic, IMO

Rumblefish - 
FetusofFury - Rumblefish.....have you seen the show 'Intervention'?

no, no,no--- I "get" it....I understand the problem has been around for a while.

I t just seems like it's ALLL over the news now, and wasn't a year or so ago.
Which is fucking pathetic, IMO

That's the way mainstream news though, isn't it?

In my hometown, opiod addiction has been going on for DECADES. My own Uncle was an addict to IV drugs, got HIV at some point (maybe due to needles, maybe due to gay sex), and suicided in early 2001. The Catholic Priest that abused my Uncle when he was young (in the late 70s), finally died last year. My family had a party.

I think it peaked around 2005ish. I recall at that time, you could literally order quantity 90 of 10mg hydrocodone from multiple online websites, with monthly refills.

Those sites were almost all simultaneously shutdown around 2006-2007.

Yep there was, hell it was a plot point in justified

FetusofFury - 
Redneck - 

<br />
<span class="User-113851" id="userPost61524168">Thanks Redneck, but no....<br />
<br />
Aussie cops do roadside tests for alcohol (like the USA/Canada/Europe/ everywhere else with competency), and then back at the station/hospital they draw blood or a deep breath sample in order to get court-admissible evidence.<br />
<br />
<br />
But on the roadside they also use hand-held tests for cannabis, cocaine, meth, and others, which, with a positive test, gives the cops the right to take the suspect back to the station and draw a blood or deep-breath sample.<br />
<br />
The test kits for these can and often do give false positives (just like in the USA/Canada), and when you couple those false-positives with the anti-drug-driving initiatives by the Aus Govt, you get false convictions.<br />
<br />
I dunno how it is now, but when I lived in QLD from 2006-8, in Townsville during the Iraq war and the height of the recruitment, I applauded the increased anti-drink/drug driving initiatives by the Gov't. Fuck hoons, fuck their V8s , and double fuck all the meth they were doing. I never got in a fight in my life before North East Australia. You ever seen 'Wake in Fright'?<br />
<br />
Well, not close, but not far.</span></blockquote>

Hey mate, thanks for your response.

I'm in Melbourne and they do not test for opium based drugs. Maybe if you test positive for another drug and they take you back to the station and they take a blood sample (which is highly unlikely if you've already tested positive and aren't disputing the reading), they will find opium and also charge you with that, but I am yet to hear of it in Victoria, and I have been involved in the Emergency Services for several years.

BTW, i'm not sure how anything that you said contradicts what I said. You don't mention them testing for opitates.