Watch a guy get knocked out in Combat Jiu-Jitsu

Correct! I was talking to a buddy about this exact thing. Maybe then Tim has better BJJ? Think about it. BJJ is a defensive martial art designed for fighting. In that match Tim showed superior BJJ. Maybe the best BJJ guy isn’t in sport or adcc. He’s in mma

1 Like

Not even close to PowerSlap…that was an amateur chin

What I was getting at is the sport and MA are different. I don’t do BJJ for self defense, thats why God created Muay Thai. But I hate the direction BJJ is going, too many dorks with too much confidence

GIF by UFC

1 Like

One hundred fucking percent.

1 Like

I hate to be that guy, but BJJ is so embarrassing nowadays. It’s completely lost it’s way in the purpose of self defense

2 Likes

An interesting competition format would be jiu jitsu guys versus non-jiu jitsu guys. They could even be from other styles like kung fu or karate or perhaps even sumo.

1 Like

I cannot stand it, and yet people still think they’re such badasses and super confident in their abilities to defend themselves. It’s really mind-boggling.

1 Like

Guys flat on their back, using both hands to try to grab at ankles. Like seriously.

1 Like

Or so dependent on their gi grips. Its funny the belt system works. I want my BB, but if belts weren’t a thing, I would have quit

I don’t really think we lost our way in the purpose of self defense, I think we lost our way in the idea that toughness is just as necessary as technique. You have to be tough and you have to be in shape. Those are the minimums. That’s why tough in shape guys are always a handful. Now add technique and you have a real jiu-jitsu fighter. You can learn toughness.

I saw a video of a guy getting slammed in a triangle. His opponent was obviously disqualified. 15-20yrs ago there would’ve been a brawl at the tournament. It would’ve been chaos and the two competitors would’ve fought for sure. Now the comments are “that’s assault, bro”. The further BJJ moves away from vale tudo/MMA the more it will be infiltrated by fucking loser ass dorks.

Ralph elbowing Flavio Almeida was a great example of this. There was a definite difference between how the old school guys and new gen dorks looked at it. The new gen guys wanted Flavio to “press charges”. The old school guys were only upset that Ralph did it at a tournament and on camera. Should’ve caught him in the parking lot.

1 Like

I like the idea, but you might as well just become an MMA fighter at that point. I guess its a good way to settle who really is the best ground fighter in the world where everything goes on the ground.

I’d totally watch that. TMA showdown. No cross training allowed.

WhaTTT happened with this sport?

A whole lot of no good that’s what

1 Like

The open hand strikes are reminiscent of the old school Pancrase in the age of Bas Rutten. I met Bas in Columbus Ohio the weekend of Arnold’s Expo and Rampage vs. Keith Jardine. He was a great guy, very personable and down to earth.