Watchin Bellator Fight Master. ..

They aren't allowed to throw elbows in the first round....
I heard it got horrible ratings....guess I know part of the reason. How can you put dumbass rules like that on them? ! Phone Post

RULES 

Bellator Fighting Championships follows the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which were first established in April of 2000. The Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts have been adopted by every state athletic commission that holds mixed martial arts events throughout the United States.

Under the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts there are no groin strikes, eye gouging, kicking or kneeing a grounded opponent, downward elbows, strikes to the back of the head, head butting, biting, or grabbing the fence. Upon a violation of the rules, referee can either warn the fighter, take a point away, or disqualify the fighter depending upon the regularity and severity of the foul. 

In Bellator’s tournaments, no elbows are allowed in the quarter-finals and semi-finals.

http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23600&ATCLID=205376021

Bellator is doing a lot of things wrong but they're getting this right.

If they expect a quick turnaround between quarter and semi final fights it makes sense to limit the possibility of a cut from an elbow that might prevent a winner form fighting within the time frame established for the next round.

romadant - Bellator is doing a lot of things wrong but they're getting this right.

If they expect a quick turnaround between quarter and semi final fights it makes sense to limit the possibility of a cut from an elbow that might prevent a winner form fighting within the time frame established for the next round.

Yeah I guess you're right. I guess I just dont like watered down fights.
I MISS PRIDE FC!!!!! Phone Post

UGCTT_nightkap - 
romadant - Bellator is doing a lot of things wrong but they're getting this right.

Me either, I think they should allow brass knuckles and boots. JUST BLEED!!!!!!!!!!

UGCTT_nightkap - 

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the elbows be there... just looking at it from their perspective and I can understand.

They should allow elbows, knees to grounded opponents, etc in the finals though!

romadant - 
UGCTT_nightkap - 

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the elbows be there... just looking at it from their perspective and I can understand.

They should allow elbows, knees to grounded opponents, etc in the finals though!

I know elbows would be allowed in finals... just saying I would be OK with them limiting stuff in quarters and semis and letting it all in for the finals.

I think elbows are so under utilized in mma. Hell! Jbj has made a lot of his career off hellbows! Phone Post

UGCTT_nightkap - 

you do know elbows were illegal in pride right?

UGCTT_nightkap - 

Pride didn't allow elbows either.

I understand the elbow rule but would like the qualifier fights to have the same rule set than the Tourney Finals or the Championship fights.

UGCTT_FryedTakayama -
UGCTT_nightkap - 

Pride didn't allow elbows either.

Yeah but there were so many other legal things. But ill be honest...I completely forgot they were illegal lol... Phone Post

Ill vtfu when I get to my cpu for the history lesson ;-) Phone Post

Both of u Phone Post

luctaro - I understand the elbow rule but would like the qualifier fights to have the same rule set than the Tourney Finals or the Championship fights.

thats risky imo. if a guy wins his qualifier but got a big cut from an elbow, he may not be able to compete on the show.

in fightmaster they are real fights that go on their record too, not just exhibition matches iirc.

id like to see elbows, but i dont think it really changes much in the long run.

It's kind of cool to see how prohibiting certain techniques changes the dynamic of a fight. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_nightkap - 

They aren't allowed to throw elbows in the first round....
I heard it got horrible ratings....guess I know part of the reason. How can you put dumbass rules like that on them? ! Phone Post

They aired during a Stanley Cup game that got over 6 million viewers...

I doubt a single person changed the channel because they didn't allow elbows.

Think thats why a lot of guys think elbows should be banned all together.
I personally love elbows...great technique if thrown right Phone Post

UGCTT_nightkap - 

Think thats why a lot of guys think elbows should be banned all together.
I personally love elbows...great technique if thrown right Phone Post

Eh...

Soccer kicks > elbows IMO.

Elbows are fine, but I don't cry about them not being allowed, they mostly just cause cuts.

Quick question. It states that kicks and knees to a downed opponent are illegal. Does this mean just to the head or the entire body?