Watching Friday night lights movie

Only seen series and this sucks in comparison.  Characters are way better on tv show.  This just a case with being familiar with one first?

Never watched the show but the movie was BAD ASS.

Will Buddy Garrity playing a different character haunt your dreams?

Watched both. Movie wasn't bad. Show was better. But in all fairness the movie was an hr and a half, the show was what like 6 seasons?

Hocky -

Will Buddy Garrity playing a different character haunt your dreams?

It's fucking me up 

LBH_RN - Watched both. Movie wasn't bad. Show was better. But in all fairness the movie was an hr and a half, the show was what like 6 seasons?

True,  but I feel like I identified characters immediately in show where I don't care about anyone in movie.  Also no minka is a huge negative 

LBH_RN - Watched both. Movie wasn't bad. Show was better. But in all fairness the movie was an hr and a half, the show was what like 6 seasons?

Also, movie takes place decades before the show does.

On a scale of 1-10, how close to the movie/show does it portrait the insanity and importance of high school football in the south?

Come on, this asshole dad is so over the top it's foolish 

Its just like how the clueless tv show vs the movie was a total...... Umm nevermind

I watched the movie before the show, and still thought the show was much better. 

Still enjoyed the movie, but the show blows it outta the water. 

MR31 - 
Girly -

On a scale of 1-10, how close to the movie/show does it portrait the insanity and importance of high school football in the south?

That movie is based on true events. Especially in texas, HS football is a very big deal. There is also a book about that season for that team. If I remember correctly the book goes a little further into details about how insane townsfolk are about hs football in texas.

Yep, west Texas in particular LOVES their football.  What's weird is they fired that coach like the year after he won the championship.  Given how much they love winning footlball, he must have REALLY pissed some people off in a big way...

Its weird that the movie was about the losing season, not the title run. If I were on the chanpionship team I would be pissed.

The book is great. Goes into much more depth of characters, community issues, warped values...I dare anyone to be able to start reading it and be able to put it down. Sports Illustrated did a huge cover piece on it a couple of summers ago for the 25th Anniversary of the book's release. The author went back to several regions in Texas to catch up with the main characters in the book.

For fucks sake... I am an idiot. Couldn't figure out why this thread and the names were confusing me. I remember the show coming out and didn't see a connection to the movie, thought it was dumb and never watched beyond the first episode. Fast forward to now... just looked up the move and show to figure out what you guys where talking about and found out I never in fact saw that movie.

After a little searching on google images with my memory of that fat dude with a pig, I just discovered I watched a movie called Varsity Blues, and my brain wrote over part of the memory with the name Friday Night Lights lol. This whole time, for years I was under the impression I watched it, and forgot Varsity Blues exists. Fuck, I'm getting old.