Watching Ghost in the Shell anime for first time

Good shit

Yeah it is!! (I say in an extremely argumentative tone)

about damn time geez.  

One of the best of its kind.

Just finished. Gonna watch Akira tomorrow.

it's very good. it inspired the matrix.

excellent soundtrack. very good mood

the 2nd one has better animation but the story is a bit too convoluted.

the new one with SCARJO looks like a joke. they totally fucked up the music and allowed some hipster clint mansell to make it. Hollyweird always fucks it up by being inauthentic. they want to do things their way and it's the bad way.

too racist to let Kenji Kawai make the soundtrack. had to get the hack CLINT MANSELL

clint is ok with his gothic electro shit.. but he ain't no kenji kawai. Kenji made a high impact otherwordly soundtrack. using Japanese chant sung in the style of mystery of bulgaria. Haunting and ethereal.

groundfighter2000 - Just finished. Gonna watch Akira tomorrow.

AKira is great. hand drawn animation just feels better.

I would also recommend:

MEMORIES by Katsuhiro Otomo

Jin Roh

Paprika

--

Jin Roh is probably my favorite. So dark and moody. Otherworldly.

They need to make a live action version with asian actors and a full hollywood fx budget.

Weird, i know it's prob not the same actor, but whoever the English voice actor was for the puppetmaster's AI voice sounded a lot like the guy who played the architect in the 2nd matrix movie lol

Matrix ripped the hell out of Japanese anime.

Inception ripped the hell out of paprika.

It used to be that asia would copy the west for movies and stuff but often now it's the opposite

hollywood's incestual nepotism has ruined its creativity.

America obviously has the world's best special effects. if they could combine this SFX wizardry with japanese aesthetics and taste we could create the most ultimate movies.

Some american directors have the sense like Stanley Kubrick. He understands aesthetics, but most american directors do not

The new ghost in the shell anime is great too. I think its titled, ghost in the shell the new movie. Came out in 2015 or 16. I loved it as much as the first. 

EVILYOSHIDA - 
groundfighter2000 - Just finished. Gonna watch Akira tomorrow.

AKira is great. hand drawn animation just feels better.

I would also recommend:

MEMORIES by Katsuhiro Otomo

Jin Roh

Paprika

--

Jin Roh is probably my favorite. So dark and moody. Otherworldly.

They need to make a live action version with asian actors and a full hollywood fx budget.

EY,

The thread I started about "Your name" could use your input to drop some knowledge about the movie and get the thread going.

It was a fun movie, nice little story.

I will check out some the works you suggested.

I love Oshii's movies and style; GitS, Jin Roh Wolf Brigade, the first 2 Patlabor movies.

Also, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise

Satoshi Kon is another anime legend: Paprika, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers

And of course, Miyazaki - Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro, Naasica: Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke.

Venus Wars is a lesser known classic, imo. More of a cult-hit.

Funny cause I was about to watch it last night.

The 2017 version popped up to bleh reviews.

OP, are you watching the 1995 version or the 2008 with the added CGI?

For me (as an old school 70s-80s anime fan) Ghost in the Shell has always been a b-level anime (used to hate the hype back in the day) ... I think its ok for what it is; as those late 90s anime that EY is mentioning ...

Regarding the movie, it sucks and its a fucking insult ..

KSloane - For me (as an old school 70s-80s anime fan) Ghost in the Shell has always been a b-level anime (used to hate the hype back in the day) ... I think its ok for what it is; as those late 90s anime that EY is mentioning ...

OK old schooler can you suggest some things to watch ?

Liyon - I love Oshii's movies and style; GitS, Jin Roh Wolf Brigade, the first 2 Patlabor movies.

Also, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise

Satoshi Kon is another anime legend: Paprika, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers

And of course, Miyazaki - Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro, Naasica: Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke.

Venus Wars is a lesser known classic, imo. More of a cult-hit.

You dare not type the words, Spirited Away!?

Also Jin Roh was awesome!  Check it out, OP.

What or where is a good source to watch these tings ?

KSloane - For me (as an old school 70s-80s anime fan) Ghost in the Shell has always been a b-level anime (used to hate the hype back in the day) ... I think its ok for what it is; as those late 90s anime that EY is mentioning ...

i disagree. the 90's represented the meeting point between sophisticated animation and good storylines.

GITS may have been somewhat overhyped but no way about Akira. that is a tour de force masterpiece.

GITS i like due to the mood and the music but I agree the story was kind of pretentious.