Watching Rome on HBO

^AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, Claudius is amazing

Lt. Iceman Kazansky -

I loved it...I wish they could have done a prequel series on Sulla and Marius. That would have been awesome.

That wouldve been fucking awesome Phone Post 3.0

My top 3 all time favorite shows. Phone Post 3.0

1 Like

Abrtitans - Rome is HBO and Spartacus is Starz.
It's pretty historically accurate, there are some people and events that were missed and some dramatic pieces were added. But I really enjoyed the show. Phone Post 3.0

Irrelevant to my point. It's even better when someone else does the work to promote your period piece. All HBO had to do was promote it a little bit (or at the very least have it available On Demand). They could even explicitly mention Spartacus (since he was a historical character of the era). What they shouldn't have done was not have Rome available anywhere but in a DVD set. Just a little bit of promotion would have done wonders.

If it lasted 5 seasons I would have it the greatest series ever. Phone Post 3.0

2 Likes

great series

GladiatorGannon - 
Abrtitans - Rome is HBO and Spartacus is Starz.
It's pretty historically accurate, there are some people and events that were missed and some dramatic pieces were added. But I really enjoyed the show. Phone Post 3.0

Irrelevant to my point. It's even better when someone else does the work to promote your period piece. All HBO had to do was promote it a little bit (or at the very least have it available On Demand). They could even explicitly mention Spartacus (since he was a historical character of the era). What they shouldn't have done was not have Rome available anywhere but in a DVD set. Just a little bit of promotion would have done wonders.

Agreed. Given the massive GoT-inspired appetite right now for tits'n'gore in a semi-historical setting, HBO should be pushing Rome at maximum volume. Esp since it's much better than GoT...

Just restarted the series for the third time I believe. Fucking fantastic show, I hate that GOT flopped so hard at the end, cause they cancelled this for it.

2 Likes

Yep! That is why S2 is so rushed, BBC pulled funding. It is one of my all time favorite shows.

Indira Varma is straight fire! God I have loved that woman since seeing her as Niobe!

3 Likes

The people behind the show admitted years later that canceling it was a huge mistake given its popularity.

2 Likes

How accurate is Rome? I don’t mind a little fairy tale, but I don’t want to see historical aberrations…

I may watch it.

2 Likes

It’s a good show, not authentic really at all though. The only onscreen depiction of the Roman legions that is endorsed by Adrian Goldsworthy is the opening scene in Gladiator showcasing the Marcomannic wars. Even then it’s not perfect (ie Germans speaking modern German, wearing furs, etc)…but it’s close.

1 Like

It doesn’t stray far enough off history to take you out of it. There are some time compressions and composite characters but that’s to be expected.

I bought both seasons on Blu-ray 5-6 years ago at Walmart for $10 each.

1 Like

great show. One of the shows that made HBO.
You see the formula in GoT.

I’m not a history buff, but unless you are the type of history buff who’s anal about that shit you’ll like it. They don’t Tarantino it, the big details are all accurate, Zombie’s post about compression and composite characters is a good way to describe it. They do some cool small details, like someone trying to stop Cesar and warn him about entering the senate, or two of the main characters are fictionalized, but they were based on two soldiers of Cesar’s who he named in his letters. Highly recommend it, I’m flying through this rewatch

1 Like

The casting in this show is great. Marc Antony is amazing, probably the highlight of the show. Cesar is great, Pullo and Verinus is one of the best buddy duos ever. I really like the kid who plays Octavian as well, it’s tough to pull off a roll where you’re a kid but smarter than everyone else without it being obnoxious, but he plays it well imo. Feels like he’ll grow into a great leader watching it.

Have to mention the woman who plays Atia, she’s great too

2 Likes

One of the all time great shows that ended way to soon. Time for a re-watch for the 5th time. I’m just finishing up breaking bad tonight!

2 Likes

Awesome show.

But incredibly expensive to produce. They had three separate entities paying for it (HBO, BBC and an Italian channel I think), and they still couldn’t afford more seasons sadly.

1 Like

It was an all time great.

1 Like