water proofing deck over garage, TME

I've got 5/8 good one side tongue and groove down and I want to water proof the shit out of it am considering fiberglass but for $3.50 a square foot I think they can eat my ass.

What say you, tell me all

We've got about 360 square feet Phone Post 3.0

Are you going to use the sealed surface as your walking living area or are you building on top of it? Phone Post 3.0

I don't know. Originally the plan was to use a sealed surface.

But now I'm leaning towards building a floating deck ontop next year, I just need to seal it up I don't know which direction to go vinyl is 3.15 a square foot and same with the ducan texture coating that I was thinking of using. Phone Post 3.0

If it's flat You could go rolled asphalt roofing, epdm rubber, polyurea coating, polyurethane foam. None of them are exactly cheap though. Phone Post 3.0

Shinsplint - If it's flat You could go rolled asphalt roofing, epdm rubber, polyurea coating, polyurethane foam. None of them are exactly cheap though. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I was thinking runner, last winter a tree branch punched a hole in the deck so I'm kinda looking for something that is easy to repair.

I'm looking at this Ducan stuff Phone Post 3.0

Paul Hopkins - I used kote a deck 20 years later coated it with gaco deck. Just follow the system, prime, fiberglass seams, coat as directed Phone Post 3.0
What was the maintenance like, I don't care if I have to do it every year my old deck was clear cedar and that shit needed sanding and refinishing every year. The deck just gets shit kicked all day in the sun Phone Post 3.0

We also use a system that is a polyester cloth adhered with an acrylic base coating and sealed with a urethane elastomer coating. It works great on plywood. It is quite cheap relatively speaking and would work very well if you plan to put a floating surface over later. Phone Post 3.0

Shinsplint - We also use a system that is a polyester cloth adhered with an acrylic base coating and sealed with a urethane elastomer coating. It works great on plywood. It is quite cheap relatively speaking and would work very well if you plan to put a floating surface over later. Phone Post 3.0
Hell yeah, where can I buy it.

I would feel so much better using an actual membrane of something instead of just a rolled on product. Phone Post 3.0

???

http://www.myoldhouseonline.com/forum/topics/weatherproofing-balcony-floor

ttt

Get the Viets to put some good vinyl down. Cheap as fuck Soup and easy to maintain. Phone Post 3.0

Straydog24 - Get the Viets to put some good vinyl down. Cheap as fuck Soup and easy to maintain. Phone Post 3.0
Im sorta leaning towards vinyl, only problem is I got branches that fall on it sometimes that's the only thing I'm nervous about Phone Post 3.0

Find a hotmopper. Cheaper, better quality waterproofing and practically a life time guarantee. Phone Post 3.0

Littleladyphoenix - Find a hotmopper. Cheaper, better quality waterproofing and practically a life time guarantee. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah we use it as a deck though, I could build a floating deck on it later so that is an idea

VTFU Phone Post 3.0

SoupCanBBC -
Shinsplint - We also use a system that is a polyester cloth adhered with an acrylic base coating and sealed with a urethane elastomer coating. It works great on plywood. It is quite cheap relatively speaking and would work very well if you plan to put a floating surface over later. Phone Post 3.0
Hell yeah, where can I buy it.

I would feel so much better using an actual membrane of something instead of just a rolled on product. Phone Post 3.0
http://us.henry.com/roofing/fabrics-and-reinforcements/196-polyester-fabric

These guys seem to carry products similar to what I've used. I am up in Canada so suppliers are different. Phone Post 3.0

"I am up in Canada so suppliers are different."

No shit! Me too

Phone Post 3.0

you got any pictures of what you have now? I have a flat roof on my garage, covered with epdm, that I want to put a deck on, but I have heard so many nightmare stories. Also, I have a row of red spruce trees along the side of it that sheds needles and I'm afraid if I put a deck down the needles will all fall in the cracks and I won't be able to clean it up underneath

ufc98newb - you got any pictures of what you have now? I have a flat roof on my garage, covered with epdm, that I want to put a deck on, but I have heard so many nightmare stories. Also, I have a row of red spruce trees along the side of it that sheds needles and I'm afraid if I put a deck down the needles will all fall in the cracks and I won't be able to clean it up underneath
You could build it with removable panels so cleaning wouldn't be a problem. Phone Post 3.0

ufc98newb - you got any pictures of what you have now? I have a flat roof on my garage, covered with epdm, that I want to put a deck on, but I have heard so many nightmare stories. Also, I have a row of red spruce trees along the side of it that sheds needles and I'm afraid if I put a deck down the needles will all fall in the cracks and I won't be able to clean it up underneath

you can put a deck over epdm. its done all the time in the city.

you just don't fasten anything through the rubber.
you get extra pieces of rubber. call these, "slipsheets"
you cut the slip sheets in 1' strips by however long you want the deck to be, see below.
you lay 2x or 4x4's as sleepers every 16", just like they were joists. you put the slip sheets between the existing rubber and the sleeper first.
then install the decking to the sleepers.

couple of things can prevent it from being a good idea though..
if the insulation below your epdm is too thick, it will obviously get compressed and could tear the rubber or at least, it will stretch it and it will wear prematurely.

I'm guessing that since this residential, you might only have a think later of insulation.

jake11 - 
ufc98newb - you got any pictures of what you have now? I have a flat roof on my garage, covered with epdm, that I want to put a deck on, but I have heard so many nightmare stories. Also, I have a row of red spruce trees along the side of it that sheds needles and I'm afraid if I put a deck down the needles will all fall in the cracks and I won't be able to clean it up underneath

you can put a deck over epdm. its done all the time in the city.

you just don't fasten anything through the rubber.
you get extra pieces of rubber. call these, "slipsheets"
you cut the slip sheets in 1' strips by however long you want the deck to be, see below.
you lay 2x or 4x4's as sleepers every 16", just like they were joists. you put the slip sheets between the existing rubber and the sleeper first.
then install the decking to the sleepers.

couple of things can prevent it from being a good idea though..
if the insulation below your epdm is too thick, it will obviously get compressed and could tear the rubber or at least, it will stretch it and it will wear prematurely.

I'm guessing that since this residential, you might only have a think later of insulation.

+1. that honestly sounds really, really simple. almost like I could do it 100% myself over an 8 hour day. if all the sleepers are going the same way, and I leave the ends exposed, most of the debris could probably be easily hosed down to the gutter end, as well.