We are living Bruce Lee's vision.

Gene was very instrumental influencing Bruce Lee's "vision".

It's not bruce vs gene......it's bruce AND gene.

the early ufc's were very much like mr. han's tournament

FloridaStriker -

Without Bruce 90% of people here would not be here. Hell this forum prolly would not exist. It's like TUF. If there was no TUF. 80% of the people envolved in it would not be if they didn't flip to spike and see that train wreck.

Without Bruce everyone would be in a Karate dojo right now learning Katas from a Chuck norris chain school. Course nobody would know who the fuck Chuck norris was. Just this one guy that owns my karate school...

Not even remotely true. BL had nothing to do with me wondering which martial art was the best. He had nothing to do with me tuning into to UFC 1-3. He had nothing to do with the outcomes of the first 20 or so UFCs, he had nothing to do with the development of MMA as an integrated fighting system. He had nothing to do with the entertainment value of MMA that brings us back.

A fairly goofy BL clip, from the TV show "Ironside".

From the youtube comments:

"In this episode, "Tagged For Murder," Bruce Lee plays Leon Soo, an instructor of a karate school. Ironside's assistant, Eve Whitfield, is sent to the school to inquire about a dog tag that belonged to Soo's late father, which holds to key to solving a murder."

The big guy facing the female is Gene Lebell.

OneScoup,

Without Bruce Lee, martial arts probably wouldn't have been as popular in the US. Leading to no Jackie Chan's, JCVD's, Jeff Speakman's, Steven Seagal's, etc., and a smaller audience for the Gracie's to bring their event to. Without him sparking an interest in martial arts we may still be watching the sad attempts at fighting seen in older movies and mma may have been a popular sport in brazil alone. If not for a large potential audience who already watched martial arts films the Gracies may have never come to the US.

WidespreadPanic - var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/PaTOlO8kG-w&hl=en&fs=1", "postVideo-25417134-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-25417134"); A fairly goofy BL clip, from the TV show "Ironside".
From the youtube comments:
"In this episode, "Tagged For Murder," Bruce Lee plays Leon Soo, an instructor of a karate school. Ironside's assistant, Eve Whitfield, is sent to the school to inquire about a dog tag that belonged to Soo's late father, which holds to key to solving a murder."

The big guy facing the female is Gene Lebell.

Thanks for posting that video. I've been wanting to see that for years.

I have to conclude that, in fact, Bruce was an important fore-runner to MMA.

This is explosive!
I can't believe nobody has concluded this before!

Bruce smoked a lot of pot and so do most MMA'rs.

How else could he come up with the one inch punch and expect to be taken seriously?

stephen

^ Because he was an actor who his fans took way too seriously, and they would believe any crap he made up. And still do.

I agree w/ Ogami, we are living the vision, he was ahead of his time. Very cool.

SalaciousCrumb - Wong Jack Man, a Northern Shaolin fighter, played around with Bruce and didn't even use his kicks during their fight in SF Chinatown. A fight, by the way, which Bruce instigated by walking around the streets saying he could beat any traditional fighter in less than 2 minutes. Meanwhile, Bruce wore himself out trying to gouge out Sifu Wong's eyes.

So, there would be no MMA without Kung Fu.

Recognize!

Source?

Ogami Itto - Okay, seriously, I know we're sick to death of "Bruce Lee and his legacy in MMA" but I recently spent some time with his writings and biographies and I have to conclude that, in fact, Bruce was an important fore-runner to MMA.

In particular I'm referenced John Little's Jeet Kune Do commentary, which fills out the Tao of JKD notebook a bit more, and in it Lee evaluates various styles and what each can contribute to the fighter - and he sounds prescient, saying in 1970 what a lot of people are saying today about kicks, boxing hand work, clinching, throwing and ground fighting. I think Lee would have been surprised by the innovations judo/BJJ brought to fighting but he certainly anticipated them.

Add to that his feelings about STYLE, that his style was no style, and compare that to the "styles" of MMA fighters - all of whom could be said to not have a specific style at all and I gotta conclude, wow, we are living Bruce Lee's vision. He was more interested in street fighting or pure physical training and philosophy rather than cage fighting or sport, but he called it - his personal evolution is where martial arts has gone in the last fifteen years.

I think if Bruce Lee would have been alive to see what MMA is doing today he would be excited- he would probably be one of the world's foremost trainers. He clearly understood that the evolution of Martial Arts was to take anything and everything that was useful from other styles in order to improve your game. A genius, he was way ahead of his time!

"He clearly understood that the evolution of Martial Arts was to take anything and everything that was useful from other styles in order to improve your game. A genius, he was way ahead of his time! "

He wasnt way ahead of his time. Infact he was decades after people like Helio, Carlson, Kimura and Santana. Their fights actually looked like MMA and featured low kicks, high kicks, punches elbows, knees, headbutts, throws, grappling and submissions...

http://www.onzuka.com/Photos/Gracie/Carlson%20Gracie%20leg%20kicking%20Waldamar%20Santana.jpg

The irony is that while Lee encouraged 'no one way' almost everyone in MMA trains in very similar ways. Three TMAs: BJJ, Thai Boxing, and Western Wrestling.

Finally, we are starting to see that other combinations also work and may be more effective: BJJ, Karate, Sumo! :)

Bruce Lee knew there was somehting missing in his skills.

w0rM - The irony is that while Lee encouraged 'no one way' almost everyone in MMA trains in very similar ways. Three TMAs: BJJ, Thai Boxing, and Western Wrestling.

Finally, we are starting to see that other combinations also work and may be more effective: BJJ, Karate, Sumo! :)

Agree.

Salacious, wow, I am reading a biography of Lee right now and it does not mention this. Again, what is your source? ODoesn't really matter if you're just repeating something you read at jkdtalk.bullsheet.com or whatever.

LOL what garbage.
So Lee made shit up, but Wong Jack Man had kicks so deadly he didn't dare use them, even when someone was trying to poke his eyes out.

He occasionally delivered 'stinging blows' but held back on a 'devastating right-hand blow on any of the three occasions' while having Lee in a headlock.

And the only witness they could find that remembers anything similar could only agree on the time, but doesn't recall anything Wong is actually saying.

Yeah, concrete evidence there !! LOL

And yet if this has any credence why is it only one single article in 40 years, of a famous incidence ?

I had seen this before over a decade ago and thought it was funny then.

The Lee version is that he chased the guy around for a few minutes as the other guy back peddled and Lee got winded trying to get a hold of him and finish him.
The official widely told verison doesn't exactly make him look like a bad ass does it!

So he started rethinking his training. Its not exactly a mystery.

FingerorMoon - And yet if this has any credence why is it only one single article in 40 years, of a famous incidence ?

I had seen this before over a decade ago and thought it was funny then.

The Lee version is that he chased the guy around for a few minutes as the other guy back peddled and Lee got winded trying to get a hold of him and finish him.
The official widely told verison doesn't exactly make him look like a bad ass does it!

So he started rethinking his training. Its not exactly a mystery.

I'm a qualified Bruce Lee hater, but that sounds like every story I heard about this fight, and what my head tells me about non-conditioned martial artists fighting for the first time.

Wait 45 seconds and you win.

Where did that Wong story come from? Again, it was not int he bio I just finished, which wasn't a nut-hugger bio.