We banned fracking in a Texas town!

we banned fracking in a Texas town. The oil and gas industry poured $750k into this municipal election trying to keep us from banning fracking in our city limits. They hired in media companies, paid out-of-town canvassers and poll watchers, hired in former politicians to show up at our council meetings, and none of it worked. The pro ban side only raised $75k and lots of volunteer hours. Last night the ban passed 59 - 41. It's nice to see democracy work, if only at a local level. I would encourage everyone to get involved in municipal and county level politics. It's very restorative of one's faith in democracy.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/11/04/denton-voters-approve-proposal-to-ban-fracking/

My daughter played an important part in this measure, so glad to see the fruits of her labor will protect the health of all persons in Denton.

of course, it's much lazier and easier to bitch about national republicans and democrats than do the hard work of learning about local issues that cannot be easily googled and showing up to make your own community a better place, so that's what the og is into this morning, and that's what's really wrong with America.

We get the politicians we deserve, and we deserve corrupt national politicians consolidating power because we're all to fucking lazy to do anything about it but bitch on the internet.

ReneH - My daughter played an important part in this measure, so glad to see the fruits of her labor will protect the health of all persons in Denton.

I might know her. I bet she feels great this morning. It's a david-goliath type win.

Denton is a great town.

Are you upset about Wendy Davis not even getting close to winning?

Well done.

Eventually franking will come, big money can only be held at bay for so long unfortunately. That said your property values will sky rocket.

T-Ham - Are you upset about Wendy Davis not even getting close to winning?

I don't get upset about these things. I am surprised at how poorly she got out the vote. I was expecting to see the state continue to purple, but if anything it reddened, at least outside of Denton.

Even though it was a foregone conclusion, I'm worried about the incoming AG. Abbot already scoured the state for anything LGBT. Ken Paxton thinks he talks to God and will be as bad or worse. I have clients and family member this will affect.

Very nice Phone Post 3.0

spider guard - Eventually franking will come, big money can only be held at bay for so long unfortunately. That said your property values will sky rocket.

ya you're probably right. even though the law is not on fracking's side here, they're in front of R judges at every level. They'll find a way to beat this in Court.

Why where you opposed to fracking?

Been going on around here for decades and I've seen very little negatives. No massive cancer clusters no clusters of birth defects.... Phone Post 3.0

Nice work. Phone Post 3.0

ceiling_cat - 

I don't get upset about these things. I am surprised at how poorly she got out the vote. I was expecting to see the state continue to purple, but if anything it reddened, at least outside of Denton.

Even though it was a foregone conclusion, I'm worried about the incoming AG. Abbot already scoured the state for anything LGBT. Ken Paxton thinks he talks to God and will be as bad or worse. I have clients and family member this will affect.

Seems like you want Texas to become more like California....

That said, I agree with some of Wendy's political positions.

Neither fracking nor horizontal drilling are a problem, and neither causes any signifigant enviromental problems.

What does cause problems is the vertical well sections being poorly made and leaking. This is the only part that gets anywhere near the drinking water.

I'm 100% behind doing whatever it takes to keep the drinking water clean, but it's not the fracking ITSELF that is the problem.

alkysmurf - Why where you opposed to fracking?

Been going on around here for decades and I've seen very little negatives. No massive cancer clusters no clusters of birth defects.... Phone Post 3.0

I voted for the ban, but it's complicated for me. I have worked on the legal side of the fracking industry. I'm actually a mineral rights owner of a decent bit of land and I voted to ban myself from leasing it.

Still, I see what the industry does around here. They don't give a fuck about surface owners. They will role 40 semis right by your house blowing shit up all hours of the day and night, pumping benzene into the ground and venting stinky shit back out. Long term, none of that is a problem if everything is done right, the problem is I also know the hung over, criminal record having, west texas fuck-ups that we're relying on to do everything right 200 ft from a playground or a school. Sure a mile of dirt separates shale from groundwater, but an 1' thick casing poured by hicks is all that needs to fail for that analysis to go seriously sideways. Also, we don't need the gas from this city. Most of Tarrant is already done, most of Dallas can't be done economically, and there's much more unincorporated and fracking friendly land in Denton county outside our city limits.

Basically, NIMBY. I could make all the same arguments for running any industry right in the middle of a town. We don't need it here just like we dont' need a pig rendering plant 2 blocks away.

T-Ham - Denton is a great town.
Used to live there

Fuck yeah! Phone Post 3.0

WhiskeyWithered - 
T-Ham -
ceiling_cat - 

Seems like you want Texas to become more like California....
Seems that way Phone Post 3.0

That's too simplistic. Do I want more progressives to vote in Texas? absolutley. Do I want them to make all the same choices that CA has made? Not in a million years. We are and always will be much different than CA and I'm happy about that. If you want to talk about something more specific I'm happy to let you know what I think.

• applause * Phone Post 3.0