We need gun laws that address mental illness

I am not an anti-second amendment guy. I'm a firm believer in it; I also believe we need to firm up the vast inconsistencies in gun laws from state to state regarding background checks and licensees.

The main issue I would hope everyone could agree on is doing something to address gun ownership by the mentally ill.

Personally, I would be in support of a law where you had to get a physicians signature and five character references that say they feel you are competent to own a gun. Thats it. This takes the decision making of who owns a gun out of the government and into the hands of the community. Honestly, if you can't find five, or even three, people to say they trust you to own a gun then maybe you shouldn't have one.

Lawyers have to do the same then when applying to take a state bar exam (at least in NY and GA). They have to give three names of people they will say they believe this person to be honorable and ethical. Why not do the same with guns? Because it will hurt gun sales?

Every mass shooting we've seen all has a central formula and that's mental illness PLUS easy access to guns. There is something we can do about this without threatening responsible gun owners. First, we need everyone to agree that we have to do SOMETHING to address guns and mental illness before we can do anything.

What happens when someone's mental health deteriorates after they've purchased a gun? Phone Post 3.0

From what I understand, there has been less of a budget going toward helping mentally ill people in recent years. I think we should try and address it on the front end.

We don't need gun laws that address mental illness.

We need to address mental illness, period.

2x the suicides than murders, and we're discussing guns!? pfft.

Up until the mid 70's, homosexuality was classified as a mental illness. Your second amendment rights aren't negotiable or subject to the prevailing ideas as to what mental illness may be. I can appreciate the sentiment but this is a terrible idea.

For sale

One gun reference, $50.

12SixElbow - 

I see it this way as well. It's easier and more effective to help somebody with their mental illness than it is to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people...

This wouldn't do a damn thing..

If someone wants you dead, you dead.

If someone wants to Massacre some folks, some folks getting Massacred..

With as many fucked up people as we have in this country and as many guns as we have... I'm seriously surprised these "events" don't happen way more.

The only thing that's going to stop someone from killing is their own conscience. Phone Post 3.0

"This wouldn't do a damn thing.."

Most of the gun deaths are ghetto criminals taking out other ghetto criminals. The mental illness aspect of gun crime is scary because it is so random.

TryhardNobody - I mentioned this in a previous thread. I think gun laws governing people who are on pills for mental problems such as depression are on the way. The side effects on many of those pills say suicidal feelings. Do not operate heavy machinery. They will push for it soon. Im not saying i agree.

I don't have a good arguement against it.

There are so many guns in the USA that you simply can't stop someone from getting a gun. I am not anti gun at all but there has to be some kind of reform or they need make the testing more strict and maybe do mental health assessments first. I don't know what the right answer is but as it stands something has to change.

For anyone that carries, is it harder to get a gun than your drivers licence? Serious question. Phone Post 3.0

Jason Smith - Up until the mid 70's, homosexuality was classified as a mental illness. Your second amendment rights aren't negotiable or subject to the prevailing ideas as to what mental illness may be. I can appreciate the sentiment but this is a terrible idea.

I hate to break it to you but the NCBC can disqualify you from owning a gun if you've had a stay in a mental health facility. I guess since 1989 the second amendment has been subject to what the experts believe mental illness agrees, and 5 he supreme court concurs.

I just think that this whole thing will spiral. I want a gun, but have young (almost teen) boys in house. That scares me. Despite the fears, getting my ltc. It's just time.

I bet more and more are doing that Phone Post 3.0

12SixElbow -

This. Mental health is not really a concern. We would rather spend billions bombing some poor country and worry about the well being of our citizens.

The mentally ill need to drag themselves up by their bootstraps. Phone Post 3.0

choadler - I just think that this whole thing will spiral. I want a gun, but have young (almost teen) boys in house. That scares me. Despite the fears, getting my ltc. It's just time.

I bet more and more are doing that Phone Post 3.0

I started competing with shotguns in Trap (clay targets) when I was 14. Get a gun, teach them gun safety and how to shoot. If you don't then its a cool thing they cant have.

Me and dad went all around Mass to the gun clubs at shoots. Take them out, great social thing and father son/daughter thing to do. Get all the reloading equipment and try to get them to a level to win a couple shoots.

We need better ways of dealing with mental illness. We don't need laws to do that. We don't need new laws at all, gun or otherwise. We could drop thousands of laws & be just fine. I'm way more frightened of new laws & the people proposing them than I am of wacknuts with guns.

Under your plan, what would happen to the physician (or the five people who vouched) if someone that they certified as "sane" hits a breaking point later on and kills somebody?

I'm not sure physicians would be comfortable staking their professional reputation on a declaration that someone is mentally all there after evaluating them once (unless you're calling for a more lengthy and stringent medical evaluation process).

Dark Knight - Me and dad went all around Mass to the gun clubs at shoots. Take them out, great social thing and father son/daughter thing to do. Get all the reloading equipment and try to get them to a level to win a couple shoots.
I plan on it. Braintree MA club. Phone Post 3.0