Wealthiest person you know?

Doug Burgum worth 2-3 billion created great plains software then sold to Microsoft.

Now governor of North Dakota.

I'm a residential electronic technician. I work for billionaires. We just finished two houses this past year that were around 100 million to build. Some of my clients own sports teams. 90% of my clients aren't 'TV' famous, but are ridiculously famous in the money world. Very few of them are nice. Their children are even bigger assholes.

John Menard. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. Worth like 10 billion. 

I never knew how common it was to personally know billionaires...

A close friend started a design and branding business with almost no money, sold it for a few million pounds. Invested that money into his next idea which is a tech company. Recently sold half of it for £140m. He personally netted over £60m.

An absolute legend of a guy, super down to earth and is extremely generous and kind. Doesn't own a watch, or a car and rents his flat in London.

A million seconds is 12 days.
A billion seconds is 31 years.
A trillion seconds is 31,688 years.

A million minutes ago was – 1 year, 329 days, 10 hours and 40 minutes ago.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.

A million hours ago was in 1885.
A billion hours ago man had not yet walked on earth.

A million dollars ago was five (5) seconds ago at the U.S. Treasury.
A billion dollars ago was late yesterday afternoon at the U.S. Treasury.
[Note: this was pre-Obama]

A trillion dollars is so large a number that only politicians
can use the term in conversation... probably because they
seldom think about what they are really saying. I've read that
mathematicians do not even use the term trillion! 
Here is some perspective on TRILLION:

Trillion = 1,000,000,000,000. 
The country has not existed for a trillion seconds. 
Western civilization has not been around a trillion seconds. 
One trillion seconds ago – 31,688 years – Neanderthals stalked the plains of Europe.

I think a lot of people over estimate people's net worth.

a billion dollar net worth is a lot of fucking money

sloppyfloppys - I never knew how common it was to personally know billionaires...

I met Menard through racing, his son's pit stall was right next to mine for two years. I'm sure he wouldn't know my face but I bet if I saw him again and told him where he knew me from he'd remember.

So, I don't know if that qualifies as personally knowing him, but we did talk a lot over the course of those two years.

A few people i take quail hunting and my stepfathers brother in law. One is an optometrist that owns a bunch of offices plus real estate, I'm not sure his net worth but he just bought another home for 16 million. My stepfathers brother in law was the vice president of coke and started Virginia College.

My wife knows a woman who won around $30m (after taxes) in the lottery while in her late 20s. My wife doesn't know the woman that well, she's more of a friend of a friend, but has been at various events with her both before and after she won the money.

This woman retired, invested the money relatively conservatively and lives off the interest to the tune of around $900k a year. She is nice, down to earth and still lives pretty normally - she definitely is not running around blowing it on everything under the sun. She should be more than set for life.

I know lotto is generally a waste of money but still can't help myself from playing every once in a while because of this woman.

Severnsmustache -

Yes it is. When Forbes has a picture of someone with "net worth: 2.5 billion" beside it it might be true.

My former co worker. He retired after 24 years in the military he has a few million. He retired over a year ago and hasn't done anything but relax. The cost of living here is real low and he owns his house outright and doesn't have to work anymore. He did it with savy market investments and then turned that into buying property and selling it. He got out of the property thing just in time before the bubble burst. Dude is smart but he's been able to make the right move at the right time. He bought tons of apple stock in the 90s when it was in the tank and made a fucking killing off that.

My employer.

He had 180 mil cash a few years ago. Since then his business has expanded x15 so I have no idea where he is at now.

I wouldn't call him super nice (or mean) but he's smart as fuck, looks out for his employees when he doesn't really have too and he rewards loyalty. Nobody ever impresses me but he is a dude that if he asked me to do something I would, I would assume he has a plan because he always does, and he's always right. He thinks outside the box and gives people chances to prove themselves. He will also scotch earth you lol.

Personally: Mark Gonzales

Personality: quiet, socially awkward around strangers but friendly and quite normal among people he knows well.

AnthonyWeiner - Father-in-law co-owns a tech company worth 80-100 million. The company is less than 15 years old, he and his partner started it in their early 40's outside of a studio basement office rental. They now employ around 100 full-time staff, occupy three complete floors of an office building.

He's an amazing guy.
Tech?

As in?

It always kind of makes me chuckle when people just use the term tech there are a thousand different areas you could be in.

Animal Chin -
Severnsmustache -

Yes it is. When Forbes has a picture of someone with "net worth: 2.5 billion" beside it it might be true.
People definitely overestimate, what are there a thousand billionaires?

DeleteTheWeak - I'm a residential electronic technician. I work for billionaires. We just finished two houses this past year that were around 100 million to build. Some of my clients own sports teams. 90% of my clients aren't 'TV' famous, but are ridiculously famous in the money world. Very few of them are nice. Their children are even bigger assholes.
What city do you live in?

Larry Ellison

Oracle

48 Billion

Severnsmustache -

Maybe... although most billionaires have netted their wealth in the public markets. Their ownership is publicly available through proxy statements.

Female md, husband does large scale construction.

She was well liked as student. After becoming an employee in position of power, she quickly became disliked by all.

Don't think money has anything to do w it, she's just fiercely abrasive and probably less then comfortable/confident of her role.