Wedding scene in Deer Hunter

This is exactly how I wanted my wedding reception to go down.

I forgot how awesome the scenery in this movie is.

It's a shame newer movies rarely develop the scene and characters as well as these late 70s/early 80s ones. It's all "bam bam! exploxion! car chase! giant robot transforming into a fucking jet!"

HeyMarkIt1886 - This is exactly how I wanted my wedding reception to go down.

I forgot how awesome the scenery in this movie is.

It's a shame newer movies rarely develop the scene and characters as well as these late 70s/early 80s ones. It's all "bam bam! exploxion! car chase! giant robot transforming into a fucking jet!"
Agreed

VU Phone Post 3.0

My dad was in that scene. True story.

It's a shame that Michael Cimino could never replicate the success of that movie. Guy always had an awesome visual style

He was talented but a lunatic. Check out his wiki page for the amount of unrealized/unfinished projects he was involved in

Can you give a refresher on the scene? I saw that movie a long time ago, and I've only seen it once.

Pacing is definitely one of the main differences I notice between older movies and now. Not saying one is better or worse than the other. That movie is a classic, so you can't just compare it to some crappy movies being made today. We have great movies being made today as well, actually more of them, I can't even keep up with all the movies I want to see.

That;s awesome Kid Pittsburgh. Was that filmed in Pgh or Cleveland?

Thanks PatK, never checked that out before

HeyMarkIt1886 - That;s awesome Kid Pittsburgh. Was that filmed in Pgh or Cleveland?

Thanks PatK, never checked that out before

Cleveland. But my dad was working in a steel mill at the time when they were doing b-roll shots and just started palling around with the guys (he was like 19-20yo at the time). He said everyone was really drunk for the scene.

Thanks for sharing that story Kid, that's pretty cool. I've heard of a few people knowing guys in that scene over the years.

It's basically a huge Polish-Am wedding reception at a VFW Hall. There's a polka'esque live band, everyone is dancing, drunk as hell, sweating, just enjoying themselves. Dudes are scheming to get laid, chicks are staring down studs with fuck me eyes, etc.

Just one of the best party scenes in a movie ever. Takes like a full 30 minutes to get through. You can find the movie online streaming if you just click through some shitty links here and there.

Great movie, so depressing at times and yes a beautiful scene. I just watched 'Sometimes a great notion'(also titled Never give an inch and based on Ken Kesey's book) with Paul Newman a few weeks ago and it is chock full of this type of scenery.

Love Paul Newman movies but haven't seen that one, thanks

I usually hear people complain about the wedding scene and how long it is. These people are assholes.

Also that spilled drop of wine seals their fate! Craziness.

The wedding scene was like they had an actual wedding and the director just filmed it and put it in the movie. Awesome!!!

The russian roulette scene was like they were actually playing russian roulette and a camera happened to be there.

Great movie all-around.

Will watch it again, as I am one of those assholes who probably fast forwarded through the scene.

I'll prob skip the RR scene later on though as it'll likely give me an anxiety attack. Phone Post 3.0

This is this. This ain't something else. This is this.

Beautiful stuff Phone Post 3.0

Dude, that RR scene is so fackin intense! Love it.

Totally agree with you, it's just like a camera happened to be there.

NiteProwleR - Great movie, so depressing at times and yes a beautiful scene. I just watched 'Sometimes a great notion'(also titled Never give an inch and based on Ken Kesey's book) with Paul Newman a few weeks ago and it is chock full of this type of scenery.

Only one scene from that movie is etched in my memory and I think you know which one. I never walked in a creek or river again after that.

Was it a polish wedding or a Ukrainian wedding?

I just watched that movie for the first time a couple weeks ago. I am starting to watch all the old time classics that I missed growing up. Phone Post 3.0

I couldn't stand the annoying friend with the small guy complex Phone Post 3.0

groundfighter2000 - This is this. This ain't something else. This is this.
My favourite movie quote if all time. Phone Post 3.0